Polish Genealogical Society of America Members Log in/Log out
 
   
   
 

     
 
Header Left  Town Translations Header Right
 
 

BACK TO THE LIST

Towns on this page >>

F

Falsztyn

-- in the district Niedzica within the Spisz Region (Wegry) Hungary

The village is located in the Dunajec river basin between Frydman on the west and Niedzica on the east. Parish is located in Frydman. The village has 129 Roman Catholic souls, 29 Greek Catholics and 10 Israelites. The post office is in Stara . The village is high on hills that stretch from Branska (879 m) between Dunajec and Lapszanka on the east. Part of the hills to the north from Falsztyn between Dunajec and Falsztyn stream, from the Dunajec side, is called Zielona Skala (Green Rock). An ancient story states that in these rocks there is a lake without a bottom and that it is an ore vein from Morskie Oko. Because so many animals have drowned, this area is covered with trees. It appears like a small depression against a flat rock. As the story goes, in the Green Rocks from Dunajec, there is hidden treasure. The vicar from Niedzica used these rocks to decorate his church.

The highest Zielona Gora measurement is 547 m above sea level and is 55 m above the Dunajec river. The few huts on the north side of Falsztyn are called Blachuty.

The elevations in Falsztyn are: (1) 681 m at the road that cuts through border of Falsztyn to the west of the village and (2) 670 m at the north east corner of the village.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1881

Submitted and Translated by: Rose Szczech (Apr 1998)

Top of Page


Frysztak

With Glinik Dolny, Pulanki, and Twierdza, a town in Jaslo county, located at 49 degrees 10' N and 39 degrees, 4' East from Ferro [by modern reckoning 49 degrees 50', 21 degrees 37'], 19 km. from Krosno, with an area of 1,558 morgs; 134 houses, 590 male inhabitants and 607 female, for a total of 1,197, of whom 416 are Roman Catholic and 779 Jewish. It is the site of the county court, a notary's office, a military police post, post office, deanery office covering 6 parishes, and a parish office. The most ancient trace of this parish is to be found in the work "Liber retaxationis dioec. Cracoviensis de anno 1527) [Krakow Diocese Retaxation Register for the year 1527]. The church is wooden, its date of construction unknown; it is dedicated to the Birth of The Blessed Virgin. There is a 2-grade public school with three teachers, a match factory, production of grease and turpentine, a fair every other Thursday and particularly lively in spring, when many working horses and cattle are sold at it. Frysztak lies on a hillock, at the feet of which the Wislok flows by, and is on the county road from Rzeszow to Krosno. A second highway leads from Frysztak through Lubla and Sieklowka to Warzyce, where it joins the government highway leading to Jaslo. According to tradition Frysztak was founded as a German colony by King Kazimierz the Great and was originally named Frysztat (German Freistadt ["free city"]).

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1881

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGST Polish Footprints November 1997, and appears here with express permission of the PGST.

Link to PGST translation - text and photos.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw. Translated by Martin Kurtin.

Top of Page

 
   
 
 

Home | Directory | About Us | Membership | PGSA Store | Contact Us | Site Map
© 1978-2014 Polish Genealogical Society of America, All rights reserved.
Website questions: webmaster@pgsa.org