Polish Genealogical Society of America Members Log in/Log out
 
   
   
 

     
 
Header Left  Town Translations Header Right
 
 

BACK TO THE LIST

Towns on this page >>

J

Jablonica

Link to PGST translation - text and photos.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw. Translated by Martin Kurtin.

Top of Page


Jablonka

– in the County of Orawa, Hungary

Jablonka is a village in the Podhale Orawskie area of the Trzcianski district near the Czarna Orawa river; not far from the mouth of the Piekielnik stream. It is on the border of Galacia, known as Podhale Nowy Targ, along the road that leads from Trzciany to Rabka and from Jablonka to Czarny Dunajec and Bobrow (Bobrov). Jablonka borders on the east with Piekielnik, to the north with Orawka and Dolna Zubrzyca, west with Gorna and Dolna Lipnica, southwest with Chyzne, and southeast with the territory of Hladowka.

The river, Czarna Orawa, flows through the local territory. It flows inward at Lubrzyca and Lipnica, and on the right bank is Jablonka, Piekielnik with the stream Borowy also on the right, and on the left bank is the stream Chiani. The stream Chianik starts at the southwest border of Jablonka.

The village has a Roman Catholic church built in 1787 and at the same time the public register was started. The name of the church is the Transfiguration. The parish has 3286 Roman Catholics, 1 Orthodox, 60 Jews and 353 non-Uniate (Greek Orthodox). There were a total of 3,700 people in the year 1878 of which 3,150 are Polish. The village has a post office.

The village is made up of separate groups of huts under the names:

East side - Kapustowa, Suwadowa, Oskwarkowa, Guzowka, Suwadow Dzikow, Borowkowa, Wicaniowka, the Telczowskie shelter sheds, Bystyakow and Zygmanow.

West side - Lesniakowa, Lihositowa, Gawlowa, Berdekowa, Puhalowa, Wirtelowa, Diubkowka, Staszowa, Albertowa and Kubowa.

Between the stream Borowy and the border of Piekielnik stretches the Piekieknik Bog. To the southeast are forests known as the Bor. Similiar bogs stretch on to the south along the stream Chizni, and then west at the mouth of the Lipnica to Czarna Orawa. This last bog is called Ostrembowka.

The elevation in the village is 608.5 m (at Zejszner), 597.99 m (at Kreil), 661.12 m (at Kummersberg), 601.081 m (at Korzystra - a tavern).

The elevation of the village territory is compared to the general measurements of the area:

A) In the area of the east side of the road going to Orawka and the north side of the road to Piekielnik: a hill east from Suwadowa has an elevation of 716 m, the hill south of Kapustowa is 738 m, the church is 664 m, the path going from Rzepkowa and intersecting a group of huts in Piekielnik toward Oskwarkowa not far from the border is 663 m.

B) In the area south of the road from Jablonka to Piekielnik, the elevations are: at source of the stream Borokek to Piekielnik it is 616 m; the bridge in Piekielnik is 610 m; Pirogow hill is 639 m; the west hill of Bor, not far from the spring Chiznik it is 663 m; and the Panow forest is 695 m.

C) The elevation of the west track of land to the northwest from the river Czarna Orawa: the hill to the south of from Gawlowa is 677 m; the mill in Zubrzyca is 620m, at the source of of the Lubrzyca stream toward Orawa it is 618 m; the peak Wirtelowski in Orawa is 696 m; and the bridge in Lippnica Suska is 617 m.

D) In the area the south of river Czarna Orawa: the mill on the Czarna Orawa known as “tuki” is 604 m; the small chapel on the road north 500 m from the Chiznik stream is 640 m. The highest elevation in the village is the hill between Oskwarkowa and Kapustowa, it is 738 m; and the lowest is between Czarna Orawa and Lipnica at 598 m. There are several mills on the stream; 1 in Piekielnik, 1 in Czarna Orawa and 1 in Zubrzyca.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1882

Submitted and Translated by: Rose Szczech (Feb 1998)

Top of Page


Jabl~onowo

Jablonowo, a village in Mlawa powiat, Zielun gmina, Sarnowo parish, 28 kin. from Mlawa. There is an elementary school in the village. In 1827 it had 31 houses and 179 inhabitants; at present it has 53 houses and 423 inhabitants, 1,641 m?rgs of land, of which 1,221 are plowland.? [Note: there are several other Jabl~onowo's in Mlawa powiat, all in Wieczfnia Koscielna parish, east of Mlawa. But the others have compound names; this is the only one called simply Jablonowo ...]

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1882, vol. 3, p. 351].

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Spring 1998 Bulletin.

Top of Page


Jacewo

Current administrative location: Jacewo, Gmina Inowrocław, Powiat Inowrocław, Województwo Kujawsko-Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Jazewo, Kreis Inowroclaw, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich.

1) An estate located in powiat Inowrocław. There are 3 houses with 16 inhabitants.

2) A village and dominium located in powiat Inowrocław. There are two places that comprise Jacewo: a) the Jacewo village. b) the Jacewo folwark. The Jacewo dominium has an area of land equal to 590 morgs. The Jacewo administrative district (gmina) lists 40 houses with 329 inhabitants (293 Catholics and 36 Evangelical Protestants). There are 138 inhabitants that are illiterate. The post office and railway station are located about 1 kilometer away in Inowroclaw. M.St.

The entry did not list the village's parish. The Inowroclaw Parish is located about 1 kilometer away.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.3, p.354].

Translated by Al Wierzba, December 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Jaczno

A village (also Jacznowek [diminutive]), Suwalki district, township and parish Wizajny. About 22 km from Suwalki. Jaczno has 3 houses, 40 residents, and Jacznowek has 2 houses, 6 residents. Also, Jaczno, a lake in Suwalki district, near a village of the same name, to the W of lake Hancza. It is surrounded by marshes and covers about 70 acres in area. The shores are generally forested, shallow and low. The river Janowka flows out of Lake Jaczno.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1882]

Translated by Peter Wessner, PSG Texas Polish Footprints, Spring 2001 Periodical

Top of Page


Jadowniki/Jadownik

Jadownik a village located in the district of Szubin, 7 Houses, 43 inhabitants, all Catholics, 15 Iliterate
.
A second Jadowniki, a dominium, 2320 morgs big, consists of 2 settlements; A) Jadowniki; B) Manor Wartenberg 14 Houses,  239 Inhabitants, 43 Evangelical, 196 Catholic, 107 Illiterate, Post Office, and PO & Telegraph at  Znin  7.5 kl distant, Electric Railroad Station at Zlotniki, German Name (Guldenhof ) 24 kl distant.

Formerly belonged to Count Gustav Dembski.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1882]

Translated by Jim Piechorowski, Elkhart IN (Oct 2004)

Additional Information

German Province:  Posen
Current Province: Bydgoskie
Kreis/County: Znin
Catholic Parish: Gora
Lutheran Parish: Barcin / Bartschin
LDS Film: Available

Families of members being researched in Jadowniki /Jadownik. Click on researcher name to send E-mail.

Surname
Date
Researcher
Piechorowski / Piechurowski 1814 Jim Piechorowski

Top of Page


Jaksice

Current administrative location: Jaksice, Gmina Inowrocław, Powiat Inowrocław, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Jakschitz, Kreis Inowroclaw, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich.

3) A village and dominium located in powiat Inowrocław. The Jaksice dominium is called Jaksice Wielkie (German name: Gross Jaxice) and has an area of land equal to 1700 morgs.

The Jaksice administrative district (gmina) is comprised of four places: a) the Jaksice village. b) the Jaksice dominium. c) the Barkowo dominium. d) the Jaksicki folwark (area of land equal to 538 morgs). The Jaksice administrative district (gmina) has 50 houses with 725 inhabitants (649 Catholics and 76 Evangelical Protestants). There are 231 inhabitants that are illiterate. There is a Catholic parish church in Jaksice that belongs to the Inowrocław deanery. The post office, telegraph office, and railway station are located about 8 kilometers away in Inowrocław. The local highway runs through Jaksice. M.St.

The entry did not list the village's parish. The Inowrocław Parish is located about 1 kilometer away.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.3, p.379].

Translated by Al Wierzba, December 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Janczule

A village in the parish and rural district of Kopciowo, Sejny county. It is 28 versts from Sejny with 14 houses and 112 residents.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1893, vol. 3, p 397].

Translated by Dorothy Leivers, Hadlow, Kent, England, Dorfleiv@aol.com (May 2004)

Top of Page


Januszkowice

Link to PGST translation - text and photos.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Vol.3 p.443 -Warsaw 1882. Translated by Martin Kurtin.

Updated -

A village in Jasso county. Half the village was formerly the property of the Tyniec monastery. The second half was granted in 1353 by King Kazimierz, and in 1360 was owned by Piotr Iwanowicz, the voivode of Zydacz, who received a German-law charter for it (Kodeks Malopolski, I and III). In Dlugosz’s day the village belonged to the parish in Klecie. The monastery owned half of the village (7 lans, an inn, and 2 lans belonging to the soltys), the other half was owned by Jan Amor Tarnowski of Leliwa arms (Liber beneficiorum, Vol. III, page 203). In 1536 half of it was owned by the Tyniec monastery, and had 16 peasants, 3 unused properties, a property belonging to the wójt [district administrator], an inn, and a mill. The other half of the village was owned by Piotr Kmita of Wisnicz, and had 21 peasants, an inn, a manor, a manorial farmstead, woods, meadows, and a mill.

The Januszkowice Parish
Parafia pw. Zwiastowania Panskiego,
39-230 Brzostek,
POLAND, e-mail: januszko@rzeszow.opoka.org.pl.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Updated entry in Vol.15-1 p.248 -Warsaw 1900. Translated by William F. Hoffman.

Top of Page


Jaranowo

Current administrative location: Jaranowo, Gmina Bądkowo, Powiat Aleksandrów, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Jaranowo, Powiat Nieszawa, Gubernia Warszawske, Vistula Land, Russian Empire.

A village located in powiat Nieszawa and gmina Bądkowo. The village belongs to the Bądkowo Parish. The Jaranowo estate has a land area of 2060 morgs. Among the Jaranowo estate are the colonies of Jaranowo and Stasin.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.3, p.445].

Translated by Al Wierzba, November 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Jaronty

Current administrative location: Jaronty, Gmina Inowrocław, Powiat Inowrocław, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Jaronty, Kreis Inowroclaw, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich.

A dominium located in powiat Inowrocław. The Jaronty dominium has an area of land equal to 934 morgs. Jaronty has 4 houses with 89 inhabitants (all Catholics). There are 35 inhabitants that are illiterate. The post office, telegraph station, and railway station are located about 6 kilometers away in Inowrocław. Jaronty is owned by the Kozłowski family.

The entry did not list the village's parish. The Inowrocław Parish is located about 6 kilometers away and the Góra Parish is located approximately 2-3 kilometers away.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.3, p.454].

Translated by Al Wierzba, December 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Jarosl~aw

Translation available through PGS of California http://pgsca.org/reprints.html

Top of Page


Jasło

Link to PGST translation - text and photos.

Translated by William F. Hoffman for PGST "Polish Footprints,"  (Nov 1998)

Top of Page


Jastrzab

Jastrzab, in German it's called Habicht, a village and estate, in the Kozle county, in the parish of Grzedzin, just about 3 m. to the south of Kozle. (Translator's note: There is a village called Jastrzebie found on a map just south of Grzedzin, not Kozle.) The estate has 1173 mr. of field, a distillery, and the village has 39 settlers, 284 mr. of field. F. S.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1882 

Submitted and translated by James Czuchra, Chicago, IL. Jan. 2001

Top of Page


Jastrzabek in Gostynin county

Jastrzabek, forest settlement, in the Gostynin county, in the "township" of Duninow, in the parish of Radzin. (Translator's note: A parish called Radzin could not be found.)

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1882 

Submitted and translated by James Czuchra, Chicago, IL. Jan. 2001

Top of Page


Jastrzabek in Wloclawek county

Jastrzabek, village in the Wloclawek county, in the "township" of Piaski, in the parish of Zglowiaczka.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1882 

Submitted and translated by James Czuchra, Chicago, IL. Jan. 2001

Top of Page


Jastrzabka

Jastrzabka, peasant village, in the Przasnysz county, in the "township" and parish of Baranowo. It is a distance of 30 w. from Przasnysz. In 1827, there were 21 houses, 139 residents. Presently there are 46 houses, 330 residents, 1245 m. of good land and 35 not useful.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1882

Submitted and translated by James Czuchra, Chicago, IL. Jan. 2001

Top of Page


Jastrząbka Nowa

Jastrzabka Nowa, village to the north-east of Tarnow, north of the Arc. Karol Ludwik railroad, at a level of 259 m. above sea level., in the Tarnow county, belongs to the Roman Catholic parish of Lisia Gora and has 589 Roman Catholic residents. The major estate (Ludwik Neumann) has area of 275 m. of field, 67 m. of meadow and garden, 30 m. of pasture and 1220 m. of forest; the minor estate has 739 m. of field, 158 m. of meadow and garden, 63 m. pasture and 43 m. forest. The soil is loamy and the forests are pine.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1882

Submitted and translated by James Czuchra, Chicago, IL. Jan. 2001

Top of Page


Jastrzabka, Mloda and Stara

Jastrzabka Mloda and Stara, villages in the Lomza county, in the "township" and parish of Sniadowo. In 1827, Jastrzabka loda had 29 houses, 130 residents and Jastrzabka Stara had 12 houses and 70 residents. Br. Ch.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1882

Submitted and translated by James Czuchra, Chicago, IL. Jan. 2001

Top of Page


Jastrząbka Stara

Jastrzabka Stara, village in the Pilzno county, to the east Jastrzabka Nowa, at the source of the Dabrowka River, has a Roman Catholic parish, one class public school, municipal lending institution with capital of 800 zloty and a poor fund created by Father Radziwill in 1665 consisting of 5 mr. of field. The spacious brick church was built in 1794 on the site of the former wooden one of unknown foundation, wherein certificates of baptism from 1645 are kept. The village belongs at the present to the Jew, M. Gorlitzera and has 1764 Roman Catholics and 152 Jewish residents. The major estate has area of 815 m. of field, 95 m. of meadow and garden, 17 m. of pasture and 740 m. of forest; the minor estate has 1766 m. of field, 263 m. of meadow and garden, 172 m. of pasture and 88 m. of forest. Soil of rye, pine forests. Mac.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1882

Submitted and translated by James Czuchra, Chicago, IL. Jan. 2001

Top of Page


Jastrzębie

Link to Suchomski Ancestry Website.

Translation by James D. Summers.

Top of Page


Jawiszowice

- in the County of Biala

A village on the left bank of the Wisla river, by the border of Prussian Silesia, has a Roman Catholic parish, one-room public school, and a railroad station of Emperor Ferdinand (a whistle stop between Oswiecim and Dziedzice, 74 Km from Krakow). Jawiszowice is located in the plain between the Wisla and Sola rivers, on fertile soil.

Jawiszowice has 1141 Roman Catholics, 6 Evangelists, and 9 Jewish inhabitants. A wooden chuch built in 1504 under the title of St. Martin the Bishop keeps birth records from the year 1754. Dlugosz (Book II, 150) writes that Jawiszowice, the property of the Polish Crown, lies in the parish of Rachwalowice.

A larger estate, property of Archbishop Albrecht, has 650 acres of farm, 150 acres of meadows and gardens, 120 acres of pastures, and 900 acres of evergreen forests; the smaller estate has 1700 acres of farm, 120 acres of meadows and gardens, 210 acres of pasture, and 120 acres of forests. A fish-breeding farm. The buildings of the larger property lie between the railroad depot and the village, the church is in the center of the village. 

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1882 

Submitted by: Joan Schmidt, 106 S. Hill St., Roselle, IL 60172 (Dec 1996)

Families of members doing research in Jawiszowice. Click on researcher name to send E-mail.

Surname
Date
Researcher
Bulik 1841 Joan Schmidt
Chrapczynski 1841 Joan Schmidt
Gara 1840 Joan Schmidt
Korczyk 1840 Joan Schmidt
Szczerbowski 1820 Joan Schmidt

Top of Page


Jaworze

1). Dolne [lower] and G? rne [upper], on the left bank of the Wisloka, 226 meters above sea level, in Pilzno county, has 403 Roman Catholic inhabitants and belongs to the Roman Catholic parish in Dobrk? w. Between the two parts of the village lies a manor on the Wisloka. The major estate, owned by Miecz. Bobrownicki, has 371 m? rgs of farmland, 31 of meadows and gardens, 161 of pastures, 872 of forest; the minor estate has 517 m? rgs of farmland, 37 of meadows and gardens, 85 of pastures, and 69 of forest. Jaworze G? rne has a district loan society with a capital of 120 zl in Austrian currency.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1882 

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGST Polish Footprints November 1997, and appears here with express permission of the PGST.

Link to PGST translation - text and photos.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw. Translated by Martin Kurtin.

Top of Page


Jazgarka

Current administrative location: Jazgarka, Gmina Kadzidło, Powiat Ostrołęka, Województwo Mazowieckie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Jazgarka, Powiat Ostrołęka, Gubernia Łomża, Vistula Land, Russian Empire.

A Kurpie village located in gmina Nasiadki, powiat Ostrołęka. Jazgarka belongs to the Kadzidło Parish. The village is located by the Rozoga River and is a distance of 8 verst from the gmina office located in the village of Tatary.

In 1752, King August III released all of the peasants from serfdom within the villages of Ostrołęka county. The amount of the annual rent was set at 532 Polish złoty. Inspections in 1765 indicate that there were 14 landlords that paid 505 Polish złoty 14 groszy rent and 4 Polish złoty for taxes on the sale of alcoholic beverages, this excluded the major.

In 1799, the annual rental fees were raised to 540 Polish złoty. The taxes on the sale of alcoholic beverages were abolished, because the county administration created an inn within the village. Moreover, the peasants did not have the privileged rights to sell alcoholic beverages or at least those not able to present themselves.

In 1820, there were 18 peasants with 2 fields that produce 4 bushels of winter corn and as many bushels of vegetables. These peasants paid 27 Polish złoty for rent and 1 Polish złoty 5 groszy towards a tithe for renovations of the Pułtusk seminary that was established in 1799. There are 4 peasants with a field that produce 2 bushels of winter corn and as many bushels of vegetables. These peasants pay 13 1/2 Polish złoty for rent and 18 groszy towards the seminary tithe. This money was sought for the Ostrołęka county economy. There were 8 cottages that needed to make up for 4 days of serfdom. Also, Jazgarka has a tavern. In 1820, the tavern earned an income of 500 Polish złoty.

In 1827, there were 22 homes with 218 inhabitants. Presently (according to provincial government lists from 1878), there are 35 homes with 143 male and 169 female inhabitants. Jazgarka has 1130 morgs of land composed of light and blowing sand (of that 475 morgs are comprised of open land). The forest area of Jazgarka is comprised of 1169 morgs of pine forest. There is a swamp here and there, but there is also a dry and robust location containing the village council. Lud Krz.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.3, p.537].

Translated by Al Wierzba, August 2010. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Jegliniszki

A village near a lake of the same name, Suwalki district, township and parish of Wizajny. About 28 km from Suwalki, it has 15 houses 117 residents. The lake near the village is to the NE of Lake Hancza. It has a shallow, treeless shore, and is about 33 acres in area.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1892]

Translated by Peter Wessner, PSG Texas Polish Footprints, Spring 2001 Periodical

Top of Page


Jodlowa

Jodlowa is a small town situated at the foot of the Wiszowa Mountain (409 meters above sea level) on a stream which is a tributary on the right side of the Wisloka River. Its elevation is 256 meters above sea level, and it is located at 49 degrees 52' N, 21 degreees 18' E, in the powiat of Pilzno. The town consists of two settlements: Jodlowa Gorna and JodIowa DoIna, each of which has a one-class public school. There are 3,282 Roman Catholics and 280 Jewish inhabitants there. The town has a Roman Catholic parish, a post office, a communal loan society with capital of 2,891 zlotys, and a fund for the needy. The major estate (owned by F. Kollat) comprises 582 morgs of farmland, 58 of meadows and orchards, 37 of pastures, and 167 of forests. The minor estates comprise 3,937 morgs of land under cultivation, 311 of meadows and orchards, 316 of pastures, and 872 of forests. The people of Jodlowa engage in farming and trading. There is a market fair every other Tuesday, and in addition there are 24 annual fairs.

We have two founding charters referring to Jodlowa. The first, issued by King Kazimierz the Great in Krakow "on the Tuesday after the feast of the Apostles Peter and Paul, 1353," grants "to Kunad the son of Alpodrik scultori [?]" 100 Franconian lans to establish a settlement under Magdeburg law, and grants him the wojtostwo and income from the yet-to-be-founded "JodIowa Gora" (see: Morawski, Sad. 1, 234). The second document, signed by the same king one day after the feast of St. Michael in 1359, allows two brothers, Jedrzej and Mikolaj, to found a village of Jodlowa under Magdeburg law in the forests of the district of Biecz, and to claim 80 Franconian lans up to the Wisloka River for this purpose.

The parish belonged to the Diocese of Krakow and was part of the property of the bishops of Krakow. The year of its founding is unknown. The present wooden church dates back to 1670. Apart from the church, there is a chapel at the cemetery where services are held. At present, the parish belongs to the Diocese of Przemysl and, with the village of Dembowa, has 3,800 Roman Catholics and 280 Jews. In 1770, the Jodlowa starostwo, in the province of Krakow, powiat of Biecz, consisted of the village of Jodlowa along with its wojtostwo and appurtenances. As of 1765 it belonged to the starosta of Wolbrom, Franciszek Dembifiski, and his wife Urszula nee Morsztyn. After it was seized by the Austrian government, on the basis of the cameral decree of 16 February 1815 and a written agreement dated 38 [sic] August 1815, it was given to Aleksander Debole for the villages of Kniazioluka, Oboziska, Nowosielica and the settlement of Debolow, which were annexed to the Dolina government-owned estate. [Mac.-Vol. Iff, pp. 594-595].

[Additional information in the supplemental volume 15]: Jodlowa, a town in Pilzno powiat. They say it was originally the property of the bishops of Krakow, then a ducal property, returned to the bishops in 1354 by King Kazimierz the Great, and then later became property of the crown. It was apparently the bishops who founded the parish there, and they had certainly erected the church by the 15th century. In 1581 there were two villages, Jodlowa niemiecka [German Jodlowa"] and Jodlowa polska ["Polish Jodlowa"]. Strzezowski paid taxes on them. Jodlowa niemiecka was leased by Jost Romer, and had 27 peasant lans, 2 homesteads with land, 22 without land, 12 peasants with cattle, 32 without, 14 craftsmen, and 1 lan belonging to the soltys. Jodlowa polska had 10 peasant tans, 9 homesteads without land, 16 peasants without cattle, and 6 craftsmen. Even then it evidently was a trading center. [Vol. 15b, p. 23.]

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1882 

Submitted by: Robert Bator, Chicago, IL. Translated by Anna Pawlik (2001)

Top of Page


Joniny

Joniny, with Lipie, is a village located on the right hand shore of a tributary of the Bialy river. It is located east of the town of Tuchow. It is surrounded by hills and is 296 meters above sea level. It is in the Tarnow province and the town belongs to the Roman Catholic parish in Ryglice. There are 866 Roman Catholic inhabitants in the town. The smaller part of the area contains 346 morgs or fields, 23 morgs of meadow or orchards and farms, 37 morgs of pasture and 378 morgs of forest. The greater part of the town has 802 morgs of fields, 73 morgs of meadows and orchards. The village took out a loan from the district bank for 469 zlotys.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1882

Submitted by Carol Wywialowski (Nov. 2000)

Families of members doing research in Joniny. Click on researcher name to send E-mail.

Surname Date Researcher
Czekaj 1875 Carol Wywialowski
Jacher 1870 Carol Wywialowski
Lisak ? Carol Wywialowski

Top of Page


Jozefinowo

- in the County of Wyrzysk

A farm consisting of 3 homes, 39 inhabitants, belongs to the estate of Topola. Its German name is Josephfinoff. 

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1882

Submitted by: Stan Schmidt, 106 S. Hill Street, IL 60172 (Dec 1996)

Top of Page


Józefowo

Current administrative location: Józefowo, Gmina Bądkowo, Powiat Aleksandrów, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Józefowo, Powiat Nieszawa, Gubernia Warszawske, Vistula Land, Russian Empire.

1) A manor farm (folwark) located in powiat Nieszawa and gmina Bądkowo. Józefowo belongs to the Łowiczek Parish.

This folwark may have been incorporated into a near by village in recent years. I could not find it on a newer map (Google). Józefowo was located between Żołnowo and Wójtówka.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.3, p.613].

Translated by Al Wierzba, December 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Jozefowo

A manorial farmstead in the parish and rural district of Kopciowo, Sejny County. It is 27 versts from the town of Sejny and has 2 houses and 24 residents.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1892, vol. 3, p 614/39].

Translated by Dorothy Leivers, Hadlow, Kent, England, Dorfleiv@aol.com (May 2004)

Top of Page


Juncewo

A village in powiat Wagrowiecki, 51 homes / farmsteads, 458 inhabitants, 453 Catholic, 5 Protestant, 176 illiterate. There is a Catholic Church par. sw. Malgorzaty, dating from 13th century, a part of the deanery of Rogowski. The closest Post Office and Telegraph are in Janowcu and there is a Railroad Station in Gniezno.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego, Warsaw 1892.

Translated by Jim Piechorowski (PGSA 6005). Families: Piechorowski, Piechurowski

Top of Page


Justyanow

Justyanow is a large manorial farmstead in the parish and rural district of Kopciowo, Sejny county. It is located 37 versts from Sejny with 3 houses and 72 inhabitants. The estate belonged for a time to the Massalskis but is today in the possession of the Ablamowiczow family. It has a great beautiful lake, Hanza and the estate includes the following:

Justyanow, Jozefowo, Helenowo with Gulbrieniszki, the surroundings of Wysmaly, the factory settlement Kopciowo, environs Pohulanka with Miciuny (villages mentioned above) The area measures 8105 morgs;

The farmstead of Justyanow and Gulbieniszki: arable land 633 morgs; meadow 16 morgs; pastureland 91 morgs; woods 1373 morgs; water 24 morgs; swamp and forest 23 morg; barren 41 morgs, in total 2203 morgs.

Folwark Helcnow and surrounding Wysmaly consists of arable land 230 morgs; meadows 60 mr; pasture 11 mr; woods 460 mr; barren 23mr; in total 795 morgs.

Folwark Jozefowo consists of arable land 5 mr, factory settlement Iron Forge 34 mr., with settlement i 23 mr., and 4763 mr. of forest.10 brick buildings , 35 wood buildings. Farming implements iron factory, iron forge and manufactury of nails etc., mill z foluszem and sawmill, pitch factory, distillery and brewery, Lake, 2 rivers the Marchya and the Hancza Biala and Czarna, with plentiful peat deposits.

Michaliszki has nine settlements with arable lands of 399 mr.

Nasuty has 7 settlements with arable lands of 225 mr.
Podumble 16 settlements, arable land 845 mr
Olechnowice 4 settlements arable land 134 mr
Stoly 8 settlements, 60 mr arable land
Gulbienszki 3 settlements, 9 mr arable land
Podhelenowo, 1 settlement, 6 mr arable land
Zmynkle, 2 settlements, 6 mr arable land
Siemaszki 7 settlements and 422 mr arable land
Mieciszki 17 settlements and 1056 mr arable land
Kopciowo 57 settlements and 1911 mr arable land
Tan v. Jaz, 1 settlement, 30 mr arable land
Iwaszki, 10 settlements and 427 mr arable land
Mieciuny 22 settlements and 647 mr arable land
Nowiki 4 settlements and 145 mr arable land
Przetok 10 settlements and 153 mr arable land
Mieciszki Niewetka 1 settlement and 50 mr. arable land
Podjanczule 1 settlement, arable land 16 mr.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1882 [Vol. 3, p. 640]

Translated by Dorothy Leivers, Hadlow, Kent, England, Dorfleiv@aol.com (May 2004)

Top of Page


Juszkance

A village in the parish and rural district of Kopciowo, County Sejny. It is 30 versts from the town of Sejny. In 1827, there were 10 houses and 65 residents. Now there are 13 houses and 140 residents. See also Ilgienki.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1892, vol. 3, p 641].

Translated by Dorothy Leivers, Hadlow, Kent, England, Dorfleiv@aol.com (May 2004)

Top of Page


Juszki

Current administrative location: Juszki, Gmina Kościerzyna, Powiat Kościerzyna, Województwo Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Juschken, Kreis Berent, Regierungsbezirk Danzig, Westpreußen, German Empire.

The German name is Juschken. It became a perpetual lease on April 1, 1820 to powiat Kościerzyna. The village is located along the sandy area of Lake Małem. It includes 6 estates and 9 crofts (enclosed sections of farmland). Juszki covers an area of 2354 morg, with 148 Catholics and 15 houses. The parish and post office are in Kościerzyna. The school is in Węglikowice. It is located a distance of 1 1/4 mile from Kościerzyna.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.3, p.642].

Translated by Al Wierzba, August 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page

 
   
 
 

Home | Directory | About Us | Membership | PGSA Store | Contact Us | Site Map
© 1978-2014 Polish Genealogical Society of America, All rights reserved.
Website questions: webmaster@pgsa.org