Polish Genealogical Society of America Members Log in/Log out
 
   
   
 

     
 
Header Left  Town Translations Header Right
 
 

BACK TO THE LIST

Towns on this page >>

L

Łabętnik

Labetnik, [Editor's Note: now spelled Labednik], village and manorial farmstead, Augustow powiat, Barglow gmina, Rajgrod parish. 17 km. from Augustow, it has 26 houses, 255 inhabitants. In 1827 it was a government owned village and had 22 houses and 131 inhabitants.ć

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1884, vol. 5, p. 558].

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Winter 1998 Bulletin.

Top of Page


Łączki

Laczki, a village in Jaslo powiat, on the right bank of the Wislok,* 246 meters above sea level, occupies a silt covered river basin in a plain enclosed to the west and south by hills reaching a height of 370-377 m. absolute elevation. These hills are covered by forests. To the north and east stretch fertile plains. Laczki has a Roman Catholic parish, a 1-class people's school, and a gmina loan society with capital of 342 zl. in Austrian currency, and is attached to the powiat court and post office in Frysztak, 9 km. away. Of the 426 inhabitants, 33 live permanently on the major estate, 308 are of the Roman Catholic faith, 100 are Greek Catholic, and 18 are Jews. The major estate, owned jointly by several people, has an area of 180 morgs of farmland, 17 of meadows and gardens, 17 of pastures, and 11 of forests; the minor estate has 284 morgs of farmland, 25 of meadows, 100 of pastures, and 11 of forests. Laczki used to belong to the diocese of Krakow, but the parish church was in Leki [on modern maps this appears to be the village named Leki Strzyzowskie], and until the partitioning of Galicia the church in Laczki was a branch of that one. But since the branch church was the more spacious and better maintained one, the Austrian government made it the parish church, and the one in Leki the branch. It is made of brick, built in 1750 and consecrated in 1756. The parish belongs to the Diocese of Tarnow, deanery of Frysztak, and includes Leki and its attached branch church, as well as Przybowka, Widacz, Wojszowka [Wojaszowka], Wojkowa [Wojkowka], Wysoka, Rzepnik and Pietrusza Wola, with a total population of 2,569 Roman Catholics and 48 Jews. Laczki borders to the west and south on Wojsznwka, to the east on Rzepnik, and to the north on Leki. - Mac.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1884, vol. 5, pp. 629-30]

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Winter 1999 Bulletin.

Top of Page


Łapinóżek

Lapinózek - Manor and village in the district of Rypin and township and parish of Osiek; 14 m. in distance from Rypin. The village has 12 dwellings, 162 inhabitants; 501 acres of cultivated land and 19 acres unprofitable. The nearby villages of Lamkowizna, Bogaczew, Chorablem, Brzostów and Lawami contain 41 settlements; 50 dwellings; 319 inhabitants and 195 acres. The manor rights belong to Radziki Male.Source:

Slownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1884, vol. 5, pp. 591]

Submitted by Steven Skoropowski - Translated by Deborah Irwin

Top of Page


Lasek

Is a village in the administrative district of the Nowy Targ (powiat). It is east from Nowy Targ and below the Gorce hill flows the stream Lepietnica. Lasek borders on the north with Klikuszowa and Pyzowka, on the west with Morawczyna and Krauszow, on the south with Ludzmierz, and on the east with Nowy Targ and Niwa. On the west is the river Syraczka

North of the village is the hill Przyslop, 708 meters above sea level. On the western border is Magdalenowka (folwark Ć estate, manor), also known as Obroczna. There is a hill from the southeast of the same folwark, 686 meters above sea level; the hill between Lepietnica and Niwa of 636 meters above sea level. The southern part of the village is forest (Bor on flat land) or Grel. The rest of the southern portion or subdivision is known as Trute and is 624 meters above sea level.

The larger portion of the territory is 69 mr. field, 25 mr. of meadows and plowed land, 7 mr. of pastures, 170 mr. of field and forest. As of 1869, the smaller portion of the territory consisted of 994 mr, of field, 206 mr. of meadows and plowed land, 110 mr. of pastures, 6 mr of forest (1869).

In 1777, there were 73 houses, 370 Christians.
In 1779, there were 95 houses, 520 Christians, and 5 Jews
In 1824, there were 102 houses, 561 Christians, and no Jews.
In 1869, there were 128 houses, 679 Christians (324 men and 355 women).
In 1880, there were 738 Christians.

The village belongs to the parish in Klikuszowa.

In a document from 1636, it shows 5 farm homes, paying a yearly total of 55 zl, 15 gr. Tax from the 3 farms were11 zl, and from the empty fields, 6 zl. The total tax was 72 zl, 15 gr. In document of 1660, the village had 7 farms homes, 4 out workers, and 1 mill. They paid a total of 106 zl, 20 gr. In 1765 there were 12 farms, 6 huts and 2 mills. Income yearly from all came to 1294 zl, 3 gr, 15 den (?).

The court and post office are in Nowy Targ. The owner was Eugenia Fihauser.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1884

Submitted and Translated by: Rose Szczech (Apr 1998)

Top of Page


Laski

Laski, a settlement in Swiecie county, on the stream Brzezina, in a sanded, woody area; 630 morgs of land, 67 buildings, 30 houses, with 132 Catholic inhabitants and 24 Protestant. It is served by the Sliwice parish church and post office and the school in Lazek. [Rev. Fr.] gliwice, German name Gross Schliewitz, a churchowned village in the Tuchola Forest, on the river Sliwiczka, 25.7 km. northeast of Tuchola, on the edge of Tuchola county. It is about 22 km. from the railroad line TucholaStarogard and eastward; it has 1,622 hectares (26 of forests, 281 of meadows, 916 of farmland). In 1868 it had 985 inhabitants; in 1885 it had 175 houses, 231 hearths, and 1,246 inhabitants, 1,142 of them Catholic, 68 Protestant, and 36 Jewish. In 1887 Protestant services were held here for the first time in the school building. There is a pastor, but he does not yet have a church. There is a 4-classroom

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1884, vol. 5, pg. 85]

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Fall 1999 Bulletin.

Top of Page


Lasocin

Link to Lasocin.

Top of Page


Latkowo

Current administrative location: Latkowo, Gmina Inowrocław, Powiat Inowrocław, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Latkowo, Kreis Inowroclaw, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich.

A dominium located in powiat Inowrocław. The Latkowo dominium has an area of land equal to 1970 morgs. Latkowo has 9 houses with 229 inhabitants (181 Catholics and 48 Evangelical Protestants). There are 115 inhabitants that are illiterate. Latkowo has a brickyard, chicory factory, and a race horse breeder. The post office, telegraph office, and railway station are located about 4.5 kilometers away in Inowrocław. M. St.

The entry did not list the village's parish. The Orłowo Parish is located 2-3 kilometers away.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.5, p.98].

Translated by Al Wierzba, December 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Latoszyn

Link to PGST translation - text and photos.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw. Translated by Martin Kurtin.

Top of Page


Łazduny

Lazduny, a small town in Oszmiana county; 3rd police district; 66.3 Miles from Wilno and 41.8 miles from Oszmiana; 456 inhabitants; the property is owned partly by the government treasury and partly owned by Weronika Korwin Milewska. In 1817 the town and estate were the property of Jozef Wolodkiewiez, then later of Samuel Laniewski Wolk, from whom it went to Milewska. The town has a branch of the Subotniki parish church, named for Sts. Simon Jude and Anne. It was founded in 1744 and made of wood, and rebuilt in 1853 by Samuel Wolk; the branch has 4,336 souls.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1884, vol. 5].

Translated by Michael Gansecki and William F. Hoffman, PGSA May 2000 Rodziny.

Lazduny, in Oszmiana powiat. In 1407 Jan Monwid, voivode of Wilno, received Lazduny, along with other benefits, from the Grand Duke of Lithuania, Witold. For centuries afterwards it belonged to the Radziwill family, who mortgaged it. Among others, the Dominicans from Poporcie leased it at the beginning of the 18th century (until 1787). Later Bishop Zienkowicz of Wilno took it over. In 1806 the last possessor of entail, Prince Dominick Radziwill, made a present of Lazduny to Jozef Wollowicz, from whom Samuel Wolk (-Laniewski) acquired it around 1810. It later went by way of dowry to Edmund Korsak, from whom his brother-in-law, Oskar Milewski, redeemed it. Today, it isowned by his son Hipolit.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [Vol. XVb, p. 261].

Translated by Michael Gansecki, PGSA August 2000 Rodziny. Used with permission

Top of Page


Leki Dolne, - Górne

Two villages in Pilzno powiat, on the county road from Pilzno to Rygiel. Leki Dolne is located 4 km. west of the town of Pilzno, Leki Górne is 4 km. farther west. Both villages are in an area of rolling countryside, covered to the north and south by fir forests, on a small tributary of the left bank of the Wisloka. There is a Roman Catholic parish church in Leki. The populace of Leki Dolne consists of 1,538 persons, of whom 21 live on the grounds of the major estate, owned by the Tarnów Savings Bank, and 14 live on the manorial farmstead called "Wygoda." The population of Leki Górne consists of 1,700 persons, of whom 122 live on the grounds of the major estate, the property of W. Brzozowski. The ecclesiastical szematyzm gives the total population as 3,390 Roman Catholics and 159 Jews. In Leki Górne there is a church made of larch wood dating from 1312, with a beautiful Byzantine image on the side altar; there was also once a prebenda called St. Wojciech's, funded by Wojciech Romer with income from 4 peasant farms, but it was abolished in 1836. There is also a fund for the needy, established 19 November 1795 by Michal and Katarzyna Letowski, who increased the previous fund of Wojciech Romer from 1638 for the upkeep of 13 paupers. This fund has a capital of 500 zlotys in Austrian currency and a yearly addition of 131 zlotys from the owners of Leki Dolne. The pastor administers the fund. A national school is located in Leki Górne.

In Dlugosz's day (see Dfugosz, Liber beneficiorum, Vol. I, p. 811) Leki belonged to Zaklika of Miedzygórz, and it had 20 peasant lans.  Siarczyiiski mentions (manuscript in the Ossolineum Library, Vol. I, p. 255) that at the beginning of this century flax cultivation flourished here, and that there were many weaving establishments. At that time Leki Dolne belonged to the Bobrownicki family, and Leki Górne to the Lubieniecki family. Emigration to America from Leki motivated Anczyc to write Emigracya chlopska [Translator's note: "Peasant Emigration'~- apparently referring to a work by the writer Wladyslaw Ludwik Anczyc, 1823-1883].

In the 17th century Aryans of the Lubieniecki family built a Baroque-style meeting-place in Leki Górne, which was abandoned after the fall of Aryanism [Translator's Note: the Arianie, also called the Bracia Polscy, "Polish Brothers," a radical socio-religious movement in the 17th century, connected with the Socinians, were expelled from Poland in 1658] and was turned into a manor sometime after 1830. It is a two-story tenement with a mezzanine and two decorative side facades reminiscent of the Sukiennice in Kraków. Downstairs and on the second floor are rooms with beautiful arched vaults; in one half of the house there was a chapel. The building stands in a lovely garden with ancient beeches and spruces. Warsaw's Tygodnik illustrowany [Illustrated Weekly] gave a sketch of the manor in 1882.

The major estate in Leki Górne has 633 morgas of farmland, 74 of meadows and gardens, 115 of pastureland, and 655 of woods; the minor estate has 2,139 morgas of farmland, 288 of meadows and gardens, 405 of pastureland, and 108 of woods. The major estate in Leki Dolne has 681 morgas of farmland, 72 of meadows and gardens, 38 of pastureland, and 389 of woods; the minor estate has 1,513 morgas of farmland, 234 of meadows and gardens, 180 of pastureland, and 150 of woods.

The parish belongs to the Diocese of Tarnów, deanery of Pilzno, and it has a branch church in Machowa. Leki borders to the east on Dolczówka, to the west on Szynwald, to the north on Podgórska Wola and Machowa, and to the south on Zwiernik and Zalasowa.
 

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1884, vol. 5, pp. 663-664]

Submitted by: Rita Koziol, Scottsdale AZ.
Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Fall 1998 Bulletin.

Top of Page


Lendowo

- in the County of Mazowsze 

A noble’s village, in the township and parish of Piekuty, 3Kms from Piekuty and 18 Kms from the county seat. There are 7 homes, 48 Roman Catholic inhabitants, 80 acres, land of medium soil, and plenty of brushwood for fire. 

Lendowo came into existence in 1880 on the land of the estate of Markow the Great within the Russian Empire; the owner, having 80 acres of land in the territory of the Polish Kingdom, sold it to the nobles. 

The new village lies on the boundary of the Empire and the Kingdom, it previously had the name of the sacred spot of Buda; from the settlement of nobles it was named Lendowo, in honor of the priest Lendo, the former administrator of the parish in Piekuty, now administrator of the parish in Jedwabne in the county of Kolno. The name of the village was approved by the authorities. 

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1884 

Submitted by: Stan Schmidt, 106 S. Hill St., Roselle, IL 60172 (Dec 1996)

Top of Page


Les~no / Leszno

In documents of the Knights of the Cross: "Leyste". A knightly estate and peasant parish village in the county of Chojnice, between 2 lakes: little- and great- Lubowo (?) or Luban~ (?), from which flows out the stream Zbrzyca, in a forested and sandy area, at the boundary with Koscierzyna county and on the Chojnice-Koscierzyna man road. Lesno is 8,579 morgs in size; has 72 buildings, 26 chimneys, 300 Catholics, 12 Evangelicals (Lutherans). Parish and school in town, post office at Brusy. The knightly estate by itself contains 468 hectares of arable land, 152 ha. of meadow, 329 ha. of pasture, 967 ha. of forest, 41 ha. unused, 104 ha. of water, all together 2,062 hectares. The heir (owner) is Pawel Sikorski. Three fairs are held yearly: for cattle, horses and kramne(?). Also the post office has been set up right in Lesno just recently.

In 1354 Winryk von Kniprode, the grand master of the Knights of the Cross, signed over as hereditary possession by Che1m law 40 hides in "Leyste" (Lesno) and the lake Mate Lubowo to Dytryk in boundaries as they are designated.

"The great lake Luban we keep for ourselves. For this Dytryk will perform service in war armed and with horse; he will also give help in building castles, etc. And because the soil is not rich, they will give us each year from each hide a bushel of wheat, also to the bishop (let them do) their duty." A ze tam role skape, miasto pluznego dadza nam co rok od wloki po korcu owsa, takze i biskupowi powinnosc swoje uczynia.

In Polish times the estate of Lesno lay in the starostaship of Tuchola. The Lustration of the year 1570 writes: "In the village of Lesno there are 4 empty hides, 2 inns, and 5 hortulani (scil.? beside the noble estate)." In 1664 we read, "In Lesno there are 40 hides, 4 soltyses (head of a hamlet, below a wojt, 4 pastors, for which they showed they had received the right of inheriting from the Knights of the Cross. King J.M. (Jego Majestat) Wladyslaw IV confirmed this right in 1636; 3 Lehnmann (rented out?) hides; they showed the right of "Lehn" confirmed from Jan Kazimierz in 1652; the "Lehners" give 137 zlote in rent. Two soltyses and 4 innkeepers of Lesno are obliged to serve together with others according to a prescribed order (chain of priority) as forest guards over wild bees' nests and the virgin forest. In 1686 the "possessor" was Jezierski. A new wooden church was built here in 1710; it was from earlier times a filial church connected to Brusy; only after the restitution of the original parish system was it detached as an independent parish by the decree of Feb. 10, 1859, mostly by the efforts of Jerzy Jeszki, suffragan bishop of Chelm. Lesno parish counts 2748 souls. The title of the church is the Holy Cross, it is not known when it was founded or consecrated. Next to it is a hospital for 4 poor, run by the brotherhood of sobriety from 1861.

The villages in the parish are Lesno, Orlik, Larnk, Gltowczewice, Warsin, Kaszuba, Widno, Laska Stara, Laska Nowa, Rolbik, Kruszyn, Paszyn, Windorp, Peplin, Skoszewo, Skoszewko, Zwangshof, Ledy, Wysoka, Kloniecznica, Trzebun, Radun, Dunajki.

Catholic schools: in Lesno 77 Catholic children; the teacher is at the same time organist; in Trzebun 78 children; in Windorp 84; in Widno 55; in Radun 67. See Transcripts of Dreger, a manuscript in the archives of Peplin, p. 106; the transcripts of the Tuchola privilege, a manuscript from Belno (?), p. 59, also schema of the diocese of Chelm, p. 289.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1884

Submitted & translated by Gerald R. Schmidt, Pittsburgh, PA, shmitg@bellsouth.net (Feb 2001)

Top of Page


Lidzbark

- in the County of Brodnica 

- Ger. Lautenburg or Luttenberg, Lutenburg. Liczburg. Ludbarz (found in documents listed as such), town and village and a forestry region belonging to the king, county Brodnica on the paved road leading from Brodnica to Dzialdowo, near the East Prussia border on a significant lake Lidzbark and the river Wel, which crosses it and enters river Drweca, besides from the court (sheriffs) ponds, there used to flow here a stream called Struzka entering river Wel. 

1) the town, area of 5644 acres, 612 buildings, 235 households and 3734 residents - 1244 Catholics and 1725 Evangelical in Lidzbark There are here Catholic and Protestant parish churches, a 3-grade Catholic school, Lutheran city schools, Post Office, Telegraph station, magistrate, a city council, a district court (Amtsgericht), a customs office, pharmacy, a physicisan, etc. A railroad from Jablonowo to Brodnica, Lidzbark and Dzialdowo is being planned in connection with the Malbork-Mlawa line.  

According to an unofficial description, from 1868 (Stat.-topogr. Addressbuch van West-Pressen) there were in Lidzbark 2 forges, 2 waterpowered mills, 1 sawmill, 3(?) breweries, 5 leather furriers, 2 wheelwrights, 9 bakers, 2 sweetshops, 1 watchmaker, 19 butchers, 9 leathermakers, 86 (?) shoemakers, 2 ropemakers, 16 taylors, a hatmaker, 8 weavers, 4 bricklayers, 4 carpenters, 4 coopers, 2 woodworkers, 2 printmakers, 1 combers, 1 chimneysweep, 6 chimney builders, 2 glassmakers, 7 smiths, 1 potmaker, 1 nailmaker, 1 sheet metalworker, 2 barbers/surgeons, 1 tobacco factory, 1 cotton factory 2 painters. Yearly markets take place 4 times for cattle, horses and stalls. 

From the history of town very scant information remains. As the church records mention, the town with the church was founded about 1301 on the German law. The first known privilege it received only in 1410 under the rule of Master Ulryk van Juningen. That master of the Knights of the Cross also created the donation document of the church here in 1409 (Pawel von Russdorf is in the records). The town Lidzbark had under the Knights of the Cross a fortified castle. The population, both in the town and in the outlying area was from the beginning mostly Polish, as the names of villages in those days testify, though their Polish character the Knights were trying hard to erase. And so, among others, the Knights' twisted name Bladau, Blendorf means today's village of Bladowo, Bulkendorf=Belki, Dwor 1410, Hof=dwor, Gelen=Jelen, Klonau=Klonowo, Leinau=Linowiec(?), Melensdorf=Mlyniki, Renk, Reyneke=Rynek, Selste, Selze=Chelsty, Stibor=Ciborz, Wamperschke=Wapiersk, Weyer.=Wery, etc. See Ketrzynski, Polish population, page 87. In Polish times Lidzbark town consisted with attached area of starostwo [county office] non-city Lidzbark. In 1531 King Zygmunt I, desifing to better the situation of that town, introduced markets and trade fairs here. In 1703 the Swedes razed large part of the town together with the main church, but were next seriously defeated by the Poles. According to the last inspection of the area performed in 1765, the castle didn't exist anymore, and only a manor house stood in Lidzbark by the fiver. In 1807 a large number of Prussian and Russian soldiers were led through the town and stationed here. In 1855 came here the first Lutheran pastor. 

Non-city area of Lidzbark, in province Chelmno, land of Michalow, county Brodnica, according to inspection of 1664 included the town and villages Wompiersk, Jeleniec, Jamielnik and farm Podciborski. In 1771 it belonged to Stefan Rumocki and his wife Anna born Plaskowska, who paid from it quarter payments of 1071 Polish zloty and 7 groszy. From 13 Sep. 1772 it was under Prussian rule. Parish Lidzbark, diocese Lidzbark includes 3580 souls. A Church of St. Adalbert (Wojciech) patronate of the government, founded in 1301, date of consecration unknown. There is a hospital for the poor from 6 parishes, brotherhood of szkaplerz since 1647 and of sobriety since 1859. 

The parish villages: Lidzbark town, Lidzbark suburb or old town (German Amtsgrund Lautenburg), Belki, Bladowo, Borki, Chelsty, Ciborz, Brynsk, Ciechanowko, Jamielnik, Jelen, Klonowo, Koty, Kurodaj, Milostaj, Nowy Dwor, Nosek, Piaseczno, Podciborz, Polko, Wlewsk, Wapiersk, brickmaking factories: in Wlewsk, Jamielnik, Ciborz and Jelen. Catholic Schools: in Lidzbark (3-grade, 314 children), in Wlewsk (55 children) in Ciborz (60), in Nowy Dwor (71), in Wapiersk (59) and in Jelen (61). 30 Catholic children attend the evang. school in Brynsk. Until recently there was a second church in Lidzbark - the church of the Ascention of the Holy Virgin Mary in the Old town, (Ger. Amtsgrund Lautenburg). At first it was a church with a rectory, with a city cemetery and a hospital and had its own parish priests. During Lutheran reformation it gradually felLidzbark In the beginning of XVII century, it was again lifted off the ground by a good townsman, Wodciech Kotek and was consecrated in 1606 by bishop of Chelmno, Gebicki and joined with the city church as its branch. In the main altar it had a precious picture of Virgin Mary with Jesus by the then famous painter, Borzymowski. The above mentioned Kotek donated to the Church to better its situation two pieces of ground in Jamielnik, Anna Bobrowa gave other two pieces of ground, which were later transfered to the city church. Marcin Pudlo gave 1/2 parcel, etc. In 1647 the "brotherhood of the scapular" was created here. Unfortunately, in the folowing hard times, mainly because of the Swedish wars, it came near a fall for the second time. The second donor was Marcin Chelstowski, undersecretary of Chelmno, who again.lifted the church from the fall in 1712. New organs were bought - probably - by his wife. This church was consecrated by Bishop Feliks Kretkowski in 1725. After the Prussian occupation the Lutherans were waiting to take this church over. In 1800 there was already a decree ready to that effect, however a definitive response of Bishop Rydzynski saved it for a rejoicing district. Great help gave also the then parish priest, Matyszkiewicz, who watched over this church for over 33 years and didn't even leave the town in a dangerous moment so as not to make the annexation easy for those of other faiths. In 1807 he writes to his superiors:

"Through Lidzbark were led 1000 POWs, that is Russians, who were herded into the church, because it was in the suburbs. They spent the night there and desecrated the holy house to a great degree. The second time, 500 POWs, mostly Prussians, were led into the church, who broke down the benches, confessionals, altars and even set fire to the church to save themselves, but fortunately, the fire was noticed soon enough."

In the following times, the weakly-made church was falling ever more, in 1850 it was taken apart and sold for 200 talars. See lost churches in the Chelmno diocese, page 137. 

Besides the above mentioned church, in Lidzbark there were two other churches, originally parish churches, in Wlewsk and Wapiersk. The Lidzbark diocese now quite small for many reasons, include. 8377 souls, 4 parish churches: in Lidzbark, Boleszyn, Mroczno and Radoszki, plus a branch in Kielpin. In the old days it had twice as many churches and the 2 still existing in Lecko and Przelek are in the newly created diocese in Pomezan and 3 mentioned above are gone in Lidzbark, Wapiersk and Wlewsk. There are 14 parish schools in in diocese, 5 ministers. 

2) Lidzbark village and mill, 107 acres, 29 bldgs, 148 Catholic, 88 Evangelical. 

3) Forestry royal region Lidzbark, newly created in 1877. See. Dzialdowka. 

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1888 

Submitted by: Martin C. Mazurk, 857 Euclid, Elmhurst, IL 60126 (Dec 1996)

Top of Page


Ligowo

As recorded in 1884, the village and estate is in the Lipno district township Osiek, and is located 22 kilometers from Lipno; with a wooden parish church, an elementary school and an inn. In 1827 there were 21 houses and 168 inhabitants. In 1884 the village had 15 houses and 232 inhabitants.

Actually Ligowo is the biggest village close to Boguchwala and has a magnifi- cent Neo-Gothic Roman Catholic church constructed about 1910.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1881-1886 

Submitted by: Henryk Skrzypinski, From the PGS of California Newsletter

Top of Page


Lipa

Lipa, (Upper and Lower) - in Ukrainian Lypa, is a village in the county of Dobromil, 35 km. northeast of Dobromil, 5 km. northwest of the county court and post office in Bircza, 22 km. north-northwest from the nearest railroad station in Zalupu. Jawornik Ruski and Zohatyn lie to the northwest, Kotow to the northeast, Rudowka to the east, Malawa to the southeast, Brzyzawa to the southwest and Ulucz to the west. The stream called Brzyzowka flows to the southwest for a short distance along the western border from south to north. Flowing in the same direction, it flows into the village then twists to the southwest towards Malawa where its name changes to Malawka. It is fed by smaller streams from both its right and left banks.

The buildings in the village are located throughout its whole land area and from various groups of houses and sub-settlements called Capera (aka Capora), Kiczary, Kopanie, Kuzie, Lackie, Przysada, Uluckie, and Wola (aka Morochow). In the southwest part of the village's land area, the Sucha mountain rises to an elevation of 475 meters. The larger land holdings consist of 604 morgs of arable land, 47 morgs of fields and gardens, 97 morgs of grazing area and 582 morgs of forest. The lesser land holdings consist of 1,228 morgs of arable land, 126 morgs of fields and gardens, 349 morgs of grazing area and 43 morgs of forest. In 1880 there were 1,250 people in the district, of whom 13 resided in the manor.

Of this population 160 were Roman Catholic, the rest were Greek Catholic. The Roman Catholic parish is in Bircza. There is a Greek Catholic church in the village. It is in the deanery of Bircza, Diocese of Przemysl, belonging to it also are Brzezawa, Dobrzaka, and Malawa. In the village is a Greek Catholic church, a one class school house, mill and sawmill.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1882

Translated into English by Prof. Jonathan Shea.

Top of Page


Lipie

Current administrative location: Lipie, Gmina Gniewkowo, Powiat Inowrocław, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Lipie, Kreis Inowroclaw, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich.

6) A colony located in powiat Inowrocław. Lipie has 5 houses with 45 inhabitants (32 Catholics and 13 Evangelical Protestants). There are 28 inhabitants that are illiterate. The post office, telegraph office, and railway station are located in Gniewkowo (German name: Argenau), which is about 3 kilometers away.

The Slownik entry for Lipie did not list a parish, but according to the Family History Library Catalog entry for the Gniewkowo Parish, Lipie belonged to the Gniewkowo Parish.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.5, p.259].

Translated by Al Wierzba, November 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Lipnica Dolna, - Gorna

Link to PGST translation - text.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw.

Top of Page


Lipniunce

A village in the parish and gmina Kopciowo, powiate, Sejny. 42 versts from Sejny. 26 houses and 274 residents. There was no village here in 1827 nor in Skorowidzu Zinberga.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1884, vol. 5 p. 277].

Translated by Dorothy Leivers, Hadlow, Kent, England, Dorfleiv@aol.com (May 2004)

Top of Page


Lipno

Translation available through PGS of California http://pgsca.org/reprints.html

Top of Page


Lipuska Huta

In German, Lippuschhutte. A peasant village in Kokierzyna county, about 2 miles from Koscierzyna, given by privilege from Gdailsk on April 1, 1820. It encompasses ],10 1 morgs; has 4 gburs, 18 zagrodniks, 108 Catholics, 12 dwelling houses. Parish and school at Lipusz, post office at Kalisz. - Ks. F.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1884

Submitted & translated by Gerald R. Schmidt, Pittsburgh, PA, shmitg@bellsouth.net (Feb 2001)

Top of Page


Lipuska Huta

Current administrative location: Lipuska Huta, Gmina Lipusz, Powiat Kościerzyna, Województwo Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Lippuschhutte, Kreis Berent, Regierungsbezirk Danzig, Westpreußen, German Empire.

The village's German name is Lippuschhutte. Lipuska Huta is a peasant village located in powiat Kościerzyna. The village is about 2 miles from the town of Kościerzyna. The village was given an area of 1101 morg as a privilege from Gdansk on April 1, 1820. The village has 4 farmers that own their own land and 18 crofts (enclosed sections of farmland). There are 108 Catholics and 12 homes. The Catholic Parish and Catholic school are located in Lipusz. The post office for Lipuska Huta is located in Kalisz.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.5, p.296].

Translated by Al Wierzba, August 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Lipuska Huta Szlanna

In German Lippusch-Glashutte. Estate and glass factory in the county of Koscierzyna. It embraces an area of 95 ha. of which 88 are in arable land, .30 ha. are in meadow, 1.50 ha are in pasture, .40 ha are in forest and 3.90 ha. are unused. The possessor is Karol Hindenberg. The parish and school are in Lipusz; the post office is in Kalisz. There are 68 Catholics and 48 Lutherans. There are 7 dwelling houses. The distance from Koscierzyna is 2 1/2 miles. In Polish times this estate was the property of the starosta of Koscierzyna; after the occupation, it was given into perpetual leasehold by a privilege from Kwidzyn on 24th of July, 1810. - Ks. F.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1884

Submitted & translated by Gerald R. Schmidt, Pittsburgh, PA, shmitg@bellsouth.net (Feb 2001)

Top of Page


Lipuska Huta Szlanna

Current administrative location: Szklana Huta, Gmina Lipusz, Powiat Kościerzyna, Województwo Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Lippusch-Glashutte, Kreis Berent, Regierungsbezirk Danzig, Westpreußen, German Empire.

The German name is Lippusch-Glashutte. It has a goods and glass factory. It is located in powiat Kościerzyna. It covers an area of 88 hectares of arable farmland, .30 hectares of meadows, 1.50 hectares of pasture, .40 hectares of forests, 3.90 hectares of unused land, which all together totaled 95 hectares owned by Karol Hindenberg. The parish and school are located in Lipusz. The post office for Lipuska Huta Szklana is located in Kalisz. There are 68 Catholics, 48 Evangelical Protestants, and 7 houses. It is a distance of 2 1/2 miles from Kościerzyna. During the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, it belonged to the jurisdiction of the starosta of Kościerzyna. On July 24, 1810, Kwidzyn granted the village the privilege of perpetual lease.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.5, p.296].

Translated by Al Wierzba, August 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Lipuska Papiernia

In German, Lippusch-Papier-Muhle. A possession, with a mill, in Koscierzyna county, on Czarna Woda. It encompasses a total area of 165.91 ha. of which 102 ha. is arable land, 25 ha. is meadow, 20 ha. is pasture; 2.5 ha. are not used, 15 ha. is water. The possessor is Zelewski. There are 29 Catholics, 43 Lutherans, 6 dwelling houses. The parish and school are at Lipusz. The post office is at Wygoda. The distance from Ko'cierzyna is 2 miles. In Polish times there was a paper mill here, the property of the starosta of Koscierzyna and paper really was made at the mill. in more recent times mainly because of the inconvenience of placement, the manufacturing of paper was abandoned and the old mill was turned into a water mill and sawmill. This estate received privileges in Polish times, e.g., in 1582; in Prussian times in 1831 when it was given over into perpetual lease. - Ks. F.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1884

Submitted & translated by Gerald R. Schmidt, Pittsburgh, PA, shmitg@bellsouth.net (Feb 2001)

Top of Page


Lipuska Papiernia

Current administrative location: Papiernia, Gmina Lipusz, Powiat Kościerzyna, Województwo Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Lippusch-Papiermuhle, Kreis Berent, Regierungsbezirk Danzig, Westpreußen, German Empire.

The German name was Lippusch-Papiermuhle. It possesses a mill. It is located in powiat Kościerzyna along the Czarna River. It covers an area of 102 hectares of arable farmland, 25 hectares of meadows, 20 hectares of pasture, 2.5 hectares of unused land, 15 hectares of water, which all together totaled 165.91 hectares that are owned by the Zelewski family. There are 29 Catholics, 43 Evangelical Protestants, and 6 houses. The parish and school are located in Lipusz. The post office for Lipuska Papiernia is located in Wygoda. It is a distance of 2 miles from Kościerzyna.

During the time of Polish ownership, the village was called Papiernia and the village was the property of the Kościerzyna starosta (district chief). The village actually produced paper. In more recent times, mainly due to an inconvenient location, the old paper mill was abandoned and converted into a water mill and sawmill. In 1582, the Polish government granted privileges to the estate. In 1831, the Prussian government granted the village a perpetual lease.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.5, p.296].

Translated by Al Wierzba, August 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Lipusz

In German Lippusch. A peasant church village in the county of Koscierzyna on the river Czarna Woda, which turns a mill here and a sawmill, 1/4 mile from the beaten track between Chojnice and Koscierzyna, at the border of (the German province of) Pomerania and the Polish county of Kartuzy. It embraces in addition Folwark Lipuski and adjacent built-up areas: Karpno, Konitop, Krugliniec, Lubiszewo, Mechowo, and Wallachei; it encompasses 8,334 morgs, 12 gburs (probably same as coloni: farmers with enough land, equipment and a horse to support themselves), 16 zagrodniks (hortulani: farmers with less than that amount, who usually don't own their house but do get to cultivate a small vegetablegarden for themselves), 557 Catholics, 107 Lutherans, 55 dwelling houses.

In the place are a Catholic parish church, a Lutheran church filial to the one in Koscierzyna, a sawmill, a water mill, 3 inns. There are 2 yearly fairs - for barter and cattle; there are Catholic and Lutheran schools. The post office is at Kalisz. The distance from Koscierzyna is 2 miles. It is the property of Zeleski. In Polish times Lipusz constituted the estate of the starosta of Koscierzyna. In 1560 Mikoiaj Kostka, province of (Polish) Pomerania, was the renter (tenuta) of Lipusz. In 1765 Lukasz Piechowski. In 1743 the impious innkeeper from Zolno, condemned to death for blasphemy, ransomed himself by means of a large sum of money, which by and by found its way to building the present church. In 1746 was erected in Lipusz a new church dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, in whose honor was a great church festival and fair. In 1779 the folwark was put out to perpetual lease by a privilege of Jan. 27th in Kwidzyn.

Lipusz parish counts 3,569 souls. It is not known when the church dedicated to St. Michael archangel, under state patronage was founded. After the earlier one's being burnt down, a new one was built around 1867. there is no hospital connected to the church. There is a "Brotherhood" of the Rosary from 1715 and of Sobriety from 1855. The villages in the parish are: Lipusz, Kalisz, Tuszkowy, Skwierawy, Grzybowo, Plocice, Wawrzyniec, Dziemiany, Lipuska Huta, Sluza, Jabluszko, Dywan, Pelki, Trawice, Turzonka, Borowiec, Kruszewo, Slone Wielkie i Male, Wyrowno, Szwedzki Ostrow, Schodno, Gostomko, Zolno, Sciborz, Zdroje

Catholic parish schools: 1. In Lipusz with 90 children; 2. in Kalisz with 99 children; 3. in Dziemiany with 132 children; 4. in Tuszkowy with 87 children and 5. in Skwierawy. -Ks. F.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1884

Submitted & translated by Gerald R. Schmidt, Pittsburgh, PA, shmitg@bellsouth.net (Feb 2001)

Top of Page


Łojewo

Current administrative location: Łojewo, Gmina Inowrocław, Powiat Inowrocław, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Lojewo, Kreis Inowroclaw, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich.

1) A village located in powiat Inowrocław, near the fertile and far reaching area around the arm of the Goplana Lake. Łojewo has 20 houses with 217 inhabitants (188 Catholics and 29 Evangelical Protestants). There are 72 inhabitants that are illiterate. The local branch office is located in Łojewo. The post office and railway station are located about 7 kilometers away in Inowrocław. (Por. Kod. dypl. pol. I, 178).

The entry did not list the village's parish. The Góra Parish is located 2-3 kilometers away.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.5, p.685].

Translated by Al Wierzba, December 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Łowiczek

Current administrative location: Łowiczek, Gmina Bądkowo, Powiat Aleksandrów, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Łowiczek, Powiat Nieszawa, Gubernia Warszawske, Vistula Land, Russian Empire.

A village and estate located in powiat Nieszawa and gmina Bądkowo. It belongs to the Łowiczek Parish. Łowiczek is located among the forests, south of Lake Skępe. In 1827, there were 31 houses with 165 inhabitants. The wooden church was built in 1711, in a village field, by Krzysztof Słubicki. The parish was named after Saint Krzyża and St. Isydor. In 1757, Reverend Franciszek Kanigowski, the Bishop of Włocławek, consecrated the parish. The Łowiczek Parish had 940 souls (parishioners).

The Łowiczek estate was comprised of the folwarks of Łowiczek and Szwinki; the villages of Łowiczek, Szwinki, Kamieniec, Józefowo; and the colonies of Kańsko and Tomaszewo. The Łowiczek estate's land area was 2224 morgs.

The Łowiczek folwark: 1062 morgs of arable farm and garden land, 86 morgs of meadows, 368 morgs of pasture, 349 morgs of forest, 45 morgs of barren land, which totals 1904 morgs. There were 16 brick buildings, and 6 wooden buildings.

The Szwinki folwark: 288 morgs of arable farm and garden land, 16 morgs of meadows, 4 morgs of pasture, 45 morgs of barren land, which totals 320 morgs. There were 7 brick buildings, 5 wooden buildings, and a windmill.

The village of Łowiczek has 77 settlements on 194 morgs of cultivated land. The village of Szwinki (also called Sinki) has 22 settlements on 323 morgs of cultivated land. The village of Kamieniec has 20 settlements on 617 morgs of cultivated land. The village of Józefowo has 31 settlements on 126 morgs of cultivated land. The colony of Kańsko has 7 settlements on 144 morgs of cultivated land. The colony of Tomaszewo has 7 settlements on 112 morgs of cultivated land.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.5, p.760].

Translated by Al Wierzba, November 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Lubiewo

Link to Suchomski Ancestry Website.

Translation by James D. Summers.

Top of Page


Lubla

A village in Jaslo county, lies in a wooded area covered with hummocks, on the stream Lubla, which empties into the Wislok; the village is on the highway from Kolaczyce to Frysztak. Buildings stand on both banks of the river, the church on the right and the cemetery on the left. A road leads from the village to Jaslo. On the north and south woods obstruct the view. L. has 1,645 inhabitants, of whom 47 have steady employment on the grounds of the major estate; they are Roman Catholics, except for 20 Jews. There is a Roman Catholic parish here, a public school, and a district loan society with a capital of 597 zl. in Austrian currency. At one time Lubla belonged to the Krakow diocese and was the property of the Koprzywnica abbey. In the parish records there is a copy of the church's founding on 3 July 1314 by Wieslaw Bonar, the owner of the village; but this document is probably forged, because in lists of churches from 1326 and 1328 this one is not mentioned. [Historian Jan] Dlugosz mentions (in "Liber beneficiorum," II, 278) only the name of the village "Lublya." Also speaking against the genuineness of this document is the fact that Wieslaw (Vislavs) Bonar signs it in his own hand, instead of affixing his seal, contrary to the usual custom of the time. It would seem the church existing today was funded by the Pokrzywnica abbots. In 1669 (up to 1818) Przemysl bishop Andrzej Trzebicki combined the parishes in Lubla and Sieklo wka. The parish belongs to the diocese of Przemysl, Frysztak deanery. The major estate, owned by Ludwik Dzianott, covers an area of 365 morgs of farmland and 231 of woods; the minor estate has 1,433 of farmland, 191 of meadows and gardens, 218 of pastures, and 165 of woods. Lubla is bordered on the south by Sieklo wka, on the east by Widacz, on the north by Glinnik Sredni, and on the south by Niepla and Biro wka.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw

Submitted by: This translation, by William F. Hoffman, first appeared in the November 1997 issue of "Polish Footprints," the publication of the Polish Genealogical Society of Texas, and appears here with express permission of the PGS-TX. (Nov 1997)

Link to PGST translation - text and photos.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw. Translated by Martin Kurtin.

Top of Page


Lubostron

Lubostron is a Dominion or large Manorial Farm located in the powiat of Szubin overlooking the Notec. Located there are 3696 morgs of tillable fields and gardens and 19 homes/farmsteads. In the year 1880 there were about 330 inhabitants, whereas in the year 1871 there were 352 inhabitants: 12 Protestant, 340 Catholic, of these 133 were illiterate. There is a Post Office and Telegraph at Labiszynie about 4 km away and a railroad station at Chmiel about 15 km away.

Lubostron has a beautiful Palace built by the grandparents of the current owner hr. (Countess) Leona Skorzewski, according to the plans and drawings of the architect Zawadski. About the year 1880 Lubostron dropped the reference to Pilatowo and only Count Fredrick Skorzewski, inspiring palace, would be known as Lubostron. (See Labiszynie for further detail.)

Near Lubostron, a large pagan tomb was discovered and opened. Inside was a circular covering plate of stone. From this tomb were extracted 17 burial urns.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw

Translated by Jim Piechorowski, PGSA Member #6005/6151, July 2005; families: Piechorowski / Piechurowski

Top of Page


Luszowice

Please email Patricia for translation.

Top of Page


Lutcza

In 1536 Ludcza, a village in Rzeszów county. According to Dlugosz the village had a parish church, Birth of Our Lady. The lord was Czepielowski of Gryf arms. The village of Zakobyle, in which the Gryfits had their seat, belonged to the parish (Liber beneficiorum, II, 259). One part of Lutcza took the name Domaradz from a certain Domarat. In 1536 Stanislaw Domaradzki and Bernard Czepielowski owned the estate in Lutcza. In 1536 Zakobyle bore the name Domaradz Dolny (inferior) [“Lower Damaradz”—the Latin inferior is not a reflection on the village’s quality, but the Latin equivalent of dolny, “lower”]; it was the seat of Stanislaw Domaradzki. The village was appraised at 800 grzywnas [an ancient coin], whereas Lutcza was only 600 grzywnas.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1902, vol. 15-2, pg. 250]

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Summer 2004 Rodziny.

Top of Page

 
   
 
 

Home | Directory | About Us | Membership | PGSA Store | Contact Us | Site Map
© 1978-2014 Polish Genealogical Society of America, All rights reserved.
Website questions: webmaster@pgsa.org