Polish Genealogical Society of America Members Log in/Log out
 
   
   
 

     
 
Header Left  Town Translations Header Right
 
 

BACK TO THE LIST

Towns on this page >>

P

Palikowka

A village in Rzeszow county, that lies over the old river-bed of the Wislok River, on the North from the railway road (of archduke Karol Ludwik) in Strazow, it lies a distance of 12 kilometers to North-East from Rzeszow; the Roman-Catholic parish is in Laka. This small settlement is located down on the fertile plain, on the right bank of the Wislok River. There are 157 houses and 802 inhabitants (377 men, 425 women); 790 Roman-Catholics, and 12 Jewish. The major land is with the Gawin manor which lies on the East border of village and includes 6 houses with 84 inhabitants; 69 Roman-Catholics, and 15 Jewish. There is a small forest on the North (11 morgi) with forester’s lodge. The major land, Lord Potocki`s property, includes 213 morgi of farm land, 61 morgi of meadows, 8 morgi of pasture and 11 of forest; minor land covers 663 morgi of farm land, 97 morgi of meadows, 97 morgi of pasture. There is a communal loan-society with capital stock of 996 zlotys. Palikowka borders with Laka on the West, with Lukowiec on the North , with Strazow and Krzemienica on the South, and with Wola Blizsza and Mala on the East.

Families of members being researched in Palikowka. Click on researcher name to send E-mail.

Surname
Date
Researcher
Ruszel 1893 Rosanne Rygiel

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1886.

Submitted by Jay M. Orbik and translated by Iwona Dakiniewicz - June 2002.

Top of Page


Panigro~dz

Panigro dz, in 16th-century documents Panigrocz, a village in Wagrowiec county, 7 km. southwest of Kcynia and the same distance northeast of Golancz; there is a parish in the village, the post office is in Kcynia, the railway station is 18 km. away in Osiek; there are 45 houses, 563 residents (546 Catholic and 17 Protestant). The major estate (of Maks Bertram) covers 180 hectares, with net income from the land of 2,148 marks; the presbytery covers 154 hectares, with a land income of 168 marks. Whether Zbilut, the Kujavian voivode (circa 1018) came from Panigro dz has not been sufficiently proved.  In 1153 another Zbilut, founding a monastery in Lekno, endowed it with the village of Panigrodz.  His descendants signed their names as "z Panigrodza" (see Paprocki's Armorial).  In 1233 Wladyslaw Odonicz conferred German law on the village; in 1248 Boguchwal and his brothers claimed rights to Panigro dz.  In 1283 Przemyslaw II conferred the right to free fairs and renewed permission for its settling on the basis of German law.  Panigrodz was the property of the Lekno (Wagrowiec) monks up to recent times.  In Great Poland legal documents various confirmations of this ownership can be found.  The local church, under the patronage of St. John the Baptist, was a parish church before 1523.  A new church was erected on the site of the old one in 1765 by Wojciech Kraszewski, the village landlord, but it burned down in 1808; the present church, made of fired brick, was standing by 1830.

Panigro dz parish, in Lekno deanery [Ed. Note-it was in Lekno deanery when this was written, but now it's in Kcynia deanery], consists of: Chawlodno, Kernerowo (Koernershe), Legniszewo, Panigro dz, Rozpetek, Stolezyn, Szubianki and Wilkonice.   In 1873 the parish included 1,260 souls.  Near Panigrodz are the so-called "Swedish trenches"; an iron arrow was found here, 45 cm. long, 6.5 cm. long in the middle, somewhat bent at the tip. In ancient times various urns with bronze objects were supposedly dug up.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw.

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Summer 1996. (Nov 1998).

Top of Page


Parchanie

Current administrative location: Parchanie, Gmina Dąbrowa Biskupia, Powiat Inowrocław, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Parchanie, Kreis Inowroclaw, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich.

Also known as Parkanie. It is a parish owned village, rural district, settlement, estate, and urban district located in powiat Inowrocław. Parchanie is about 9 kilometers from Inowrocław. The post office and parish are located in Parchanie. The railway station is located in Inowrocław.

The church in Parchanie was in existence before 1055. There are two late Bishops of Kujawy buried in Parchanie: Jęndrzej and Wenancjusz. In 1239, the Bishops established the Parchanie estate and in 1259, half of the mill was constructed. Documents dated June 19, 1259 list Parchanie among the villages owned by Pope Aleksandr IV. In 1372, Bishop Zbilut issued the construction of a windmill in Parchanie. In 1583, the Parchanie Parish consisted of: Baciszewko and Baciszewo (today called Balczewo), Gąski, Łagiewniki, Modliborzyce, Niemojewo, Olszewice, Parchanie, Słonsko, Szpital, and Szrubsko. Parchanie was owned by the Bishops of Włocławek and then by klucza (warden?) Łask.

Currently, the rural village of Parchanie has 22 houses with 240 inhabitants.The Parchanie settlement has 4 houses with 26 inhabitants. Both villages that create the rural district combine to total 26 houses with 266 inhabitants (13 Protestants and 253 Catholics).

The Parchanie estate has 7 houses with 127 inhabitants. The urban village of Parchanie has 48 houses with 355 inhabitants.The Parchanie urban district has 55 houses with 462 inhabitants (71 Protestants and 391 Catholics).

The district of Parchanie has an area of land equal to 305.88 hectare (255.32 hectare of farmland, 35.75 hectare of meadows, 10.21 hectare of pasture, and 4.60 hectare of reed). Parchanie specializes in cattle and sheep breeding. The Parchanie Parish belongs to the Gniewkowo deanery. In 1873, there was 1175 souls belonging to the parish.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.8, p.860].

Translated by Al Wierzba, November 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Peplin

Peplin , 1) also called Pelplin, in documents Marienberg, Mons sanctae Mariae, Neu-Doberan, Novum Dubran, Polplin, Polpnin, Poplin, Samboria, Sambursh, Peplyn, Poelplinum, formerly a village, since 1886 a marketplace in Starogard powiat. [Translator's Note: The official name today is Pelplin], At one time famed for its Cistercian monastery, today it is the seat of the Chelmno bishopric. It lies in a picturesque region on the Wierzyca river, in a valley between hills; it has a station for the eastern railway between Bydgoszcz and Tczew (20 km. away), and a 2nd-class post office. It is connected with Walichnowy on the Wisla river [Vistula] by telephone [sic]. Highways branch out from there to Starogard, to Tczew and the Peplin forestry inspectorate, and to Morzeszczyn. Besides the bishop there is a chapter there consisting of 10 canons. There is a seminary with four courses, which is closed at present; an episcopal secondary school with 12 teachers (10 clergymen and 2 lay) and about 230 pupils; a convent; elementary school; pharmacy, two doctors; sugar-mill; a water-mill belonging to the chapter; and a Polish bookshop and printing establishment, which publish Pielgrzym and a Sunday supplement, Krzyz.

In 1868 Peplin had 1,684 Catholics (mainly Poles), 134 Protestants, 9 Jews, 104 houses; in 1879 it had 118 houses, 352 hearths, and 1,904 inhabitants. In 1885 there were 2,117 inhabitants. Included in the village are Polko, the seminary farmstead, and Maciejewo, owned by the chapter; this whole area covers 4,210.16 morgs. The nearest Protestant church is in Rudno. During the 1885-1886 campaign the local sugar-mill processed 422,620 quintals of sugar-beets, which are cultivated on an area of 2,850 Prussian morgs; the net profit came to 100,204 Marks, 82 Pfennigs.

The local populace calls the settlement Peplin, or often Paplin, but never Pelplin. Thus Ketrzynski states correctly in Nazwy miejscowe (page 13) that the name Pelplin is German, and Peplin is Polish. It appears in the latter form in all Polish sources from the 16th and 17th centuries; and Bishop Rozdrazewski of Kujawy, who stayed at the monastery in 1583, wrote letters with a letterhead saying Peplinii. In his inspection report from that year we see Peplin (page 54). In any case, in Chojnice powiat and in East Prussia there are localities called Peplin; additionally, in vicinities on the upper Wierzyca and Czarna Woda the surname Peplinski is often encountered. The spelling in the documents is not consistent. In the 13th century it was written as Polplyn and Polplin, in the 14th and 15th centuries Polpelyn and Poelplyn; later German documents often have Poelplin. Borck (Echo sepulchralis, Vol. II, page 370) derives this name from papla, a local term for the poplar. In Pomerania plo means "swamp." The Pomeranians liked to found villages in inaccessible places, especially marshy ones.

Peplin is one of the oldest settlements in Pomerania. In Swiecki's Starozytna Polska we read that Matawa near Nowe was formerly called "Pepla" (page 318). This village, in Tyrnawa district, existed before the founding of the monastery and belonged originally to count Waysil or Wojslaw, who had a rich estate in the vicinity of Tczew; from 1273 to 1276 he was governor of Swiecie, then of Tczew, and finally of Gdansk. When Pogodki-to which the Cistercians came from Doberan in Mecklenburg at the summons of Duke Sambor of Pomerania in 1258-turned out to be inopportune, Wojslaw ceded Peplin to Duke Mestwin II of Pomerania, as was customary at the time requesting that he give the village to the monks. This was done, and the duke issued a separate document to this effect in Swiecie on 2 January 1274 (see P. U. B. v. Perlbach, page 211, and Rev. Kujota's Opactwo peplinskie, page 56).

But it was not until 1276, on the feast of St. Simon and Jude, 28 October, that the monks moved to their new location, under the leadership of Werner, their third abbot in Pogodki and their first in Peplin. Even after that the generous Mestwin added new donations, and Przemyslaw, Wladyslaw Lokietek, and the Pomeranian nobility followed his example. The monastery acquired other properties by purchase. Before the abolition of clergy-owned property, the following villages and estates belonged to the monastery:

a) The Peplin estate in Starogard powiat, to wit, the villages of. Nowacerkiew, Rzezecin, Morzeszczyn, Kulice, Krolowlas, Gentomie, Rozental and Ropuchy.

b) the Pogodki estate in Koscierzyna powiat, to wit: Kleszczewo, Jezierze, Waldowo and Waldowko, Wieckowy, Glodowo, Jaroszewy, Kobylow, Junkrowy, Kozmin, Kowalikowo, Czernichowo, and the wastelands of Malarki or Malar, Brzeczek, Ryle and Deka.

c) Farming settlements on the Vistula: Spegawy and Dobkowo, Narkowy, Wielkie Slonce, Hoppenbruch or Chmielniki, formerly Gorka.

d) Estates or manorial farmsteads in Peplin estate belonging to the monastery: Borkowo, Bielawki, Smolag Klasztorny, Rombarg, Wolsze, Peplin, Wola, Nowydwor; as well as, in the Pogodki estate: Pogodki; Maly Garc, Czatkowy, Speiswinkel, Pomyje, Kaldeling; several properties in the Gdansk area; several mills, to wit, in Peplin, in Krolowlas, in Borkowo and in Pogodki; and finally many lakes, such as: the eastern part of Lake Wdzidzkie, Bobanczyn, Sitno, Sobacz, Slonce, the lake in Getomie, lake Lag, Dubelno, Krag, Rokitowe, and several ponds.

Thus the Peplin monastery was a sort of independent principality. The ducal judiciary ceased to operate here from the time of Mestwin's donation; he even relinquished the collection of taxes and tributes in 1274, keeping for himself only labor service, which was limited to building and strengthening defensive citadels.

In 1309 began the rule of the Teutonic Knights, which was a time of adversity for the monastery. Under various pretexts they restricted the monks' grants and turned a blind eye to those who looted and attacked the monastery's estates, to the extent that in 1320 Pope John XXII had to come to the monks' defense in response to their complaints. An even greater nuisance to the monastery were Hussite soldiers in 1433. They seized anything of value that they found, and after destroying their reserves they burned down some of the monastery buildings. They stayed there over five weeks. The beautiful monastery church served as their stable (Dlugosz, Book XI, page 504).

The monastery was also looted several times during the Thirteen Years' War (1454-1466). Not until the government by Polish kings, beginning in 1466, was peace restored for Peplin and the whole region of Prussia. The monastery's death register mentions Kazimierz Jagiellonczyk among its benefactors, with a contribution of a thousand grzywnas. Aleksander, who was in Gdansk in 1504, confirmed all the monastery's grants and privileges. Zygmunt I did the same.

During the first war with Sweden, Peplin again experienced misfortunes... [Omitted: a long section about King Gustav's visit to the monastery in 1626]. During the second war with Sweden (1655-1660) Peplin again suffered greatly. The Swedes came there in 1655, but the monastery bought them off with a ransom of 9,000 zl. They returned the next year on January 3rd and imposed a new charge of 9,000 zl. on the monastery. When the attacks did not cease, the monks fled to Gdansk. At this time news of Stefan Czarniecki's successes was spreading. In October 1656 a Polish unit under Jakub Wejher, and Karol Grudzienski was near Peplin. In 1657 skirmishes broke out near Peplin, which forced the monks to stay on in Gdansk and to pawn almost all the church's furniture for 9,000 zl. to cover expenditures. Despite this, toward the end of 1659 the Swedes gave the Peplin abbot, then staying in Starogard, a demand to pay a "pillage tax" (Brandschoss). When the abbot delayed paying, due to lack of money, they burned the Peplin manorial farmstead. In mid-March the king's son-Adolf went around to Rudno, Lignowy, and Garc, and from there came to Peplin, where he tore from the inhabitants almost all that was left of their property. During this time the monastery suffered more than at any other, for pillagers forced all the doors open and smashed the furnaces. Not until the Treaty of Oliwa did peace return. [Omitted: a long section on the visit of Queen Eleanora in 1675 and of Jan Sobieski in 1677.]

In 1772 the whole property of the monastery came under government administration. In 1810, on the 80th [sic] of October, King Friedrich Wilhelm III issued an order to seize monastery properties to pay for the French contribution. Finally the monastery was abolished by a decree dated 14 March 1823. There were at that time 16 monks; formerly there had been about 50. Since the monks first came there from Pogodki, 565 years had passed.

By virtue of the bull De salute animarum, dated 16 June 1821, Peplin became the seat of the Chelmno bishopric, and the monastery became the cathedral church. The first Chelmno bishop to have his residence in Peplin was Ignacy Batthy, 1824-1832; the second was Anastazy Sedlag, 18341856; the third Jan Nepomucen Marwicz, 1857-1886; and the fourth Leon Redner. [Omitted: a list of the 42 abbots who ran the monastery from 1276-1814, and an exceedingly detailed description of the church].

The library contains beautiful manuscripts from the 12th and 13th centuries with ornamental initial letters. A great many original copies of charters and grants have also been preserved. Since 1674 a tower with a tin roof has arisen over the library, designed just for the clock.

North of the cathedral stands the small parish church, all of brick; it has been in existence since 1417. The Cistercians built it for the use of the faithful of Peplin and the surrounding villages. At first the church depended on the monastery. In the 17th century it was generally administered by the pastors of nearby churches. Later priests stayed there who had been appointed by the monastery as its patron and served as administrators. Today the administrator is always one of the Tum vicars. The bishop is entitled to the patronage. At this church, called Corpus Christi, exists a Confraternity of Guardian Angels and of Sobriety. Belonging to the parish are: Peplin, Maciejewo, Polko, and Wola. In 1867 there were 1,654 souls; in 1885 there were 1,968. The main gateway still exists, and has been remodeled today for the choir director. The monastery brewery was not dismantled until 1842. At the west end of the village stands the new Sisters of Mercy convent, built in 1862 due to the efforts of suffragan Rev. Jeschke. The Chapel of St. Joseph, adjoining the convent, was consecrated in 1870. The image on the left side of the altar was a gift from Queen Augusta.

Sources: 1) Opactwo pelplinskie, by Rev. Kujota, Pelplin, 1875. 2) Szkice z ziemi i historii Prus Krolewskich, by Lubinski, Gdansk, 1886. 3) Klasztory zenskie, by Rev. Fankidejski, Peplin, 1883. 4) Z Prus Krolewskich, by St. Tarnowski. 5) Borck, Echo sepulchralis, pages 370-414. 6) Die Bau-und KunstdenkmĻler des Kreises Stargard, 1885; an illustrated work with a number of drawings representing the most valuable relics of the church.

2) Peplin, a treasury-owned forestry inspectorate, 2.5 km. west of the village of the same name, situated on a hill over the highway from Tczew to Starogard, in Starogard powiat, served by the post office in Peplin, the Catholic parish there, and the Protestant church in Rudno. The inspectorate consists of the following forestries: Bielawkerweide (German), Borkowo, Brody, Kochankenberg, Sturmberg, and Samlin. The whole area covers 3,203.87 hectares: 113.29 of farmland and gardens, 58.7 of meadows, 2,925.09 of coniferous and foliaceous forests, 101.7 unused, 5.07 of waters; net income from the land comes to 8,225 marks.

3) Peplin, a Chelmno estate, Chojnice county, served by the post office and Catholic parish in Lesno, about 10 km. away, and the Protestant church in Suminy in Byt—w county, with a school in Wyndorp, 3,449.72 m—rgs of area. In 1868 there were 15 buildings, 5 houses, 59 Catholic inhabitants. Lipinski was the owner in 1856. Peplin lies in the northeastern part of the county, on Lake Peplinskie, and as empty land formerly belonged to the Tuchola starosta's office. In 1693 Wojciech Peplinski complained to the Tuchola leaseholder, Erazm Janowski, that the people of Ledy and Skoszewo were driving cattle into his bypass, although the castle office forbade that so that his fields would not be plowed up. The office allowed him to hunt at Miectok and fish in the river; the meadow by the forest is his (see the Notes of Rev. Kujota in Peplin). - Rev. Fr[ydrychowitcz]

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1886, vol. 7, pp. 944-949]

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Summer 1999 Bulletin.

Top of Page


Piaski

A church, estate, and estate district in Inowrocław county, about 8 kilometers east of Kruszwica, near the border of the Kingdom of Poland. There is a parish on site; the post office is in Kruszwica, and the railroad station is in Jarosław, 18 kilometers away. There are 10 houses, 133 inhabitants, and an area of 503.24 hectares; net income of 3,900 marks; Swiss cattle are raised there; the owner is Czesław Jaczyński. By around 1383 Piaski belonged already to the Kruszwica chapter; it was looted during the domestic disorders by the followers of Domarat, castellan of Poznań. Circa 1560, the following owned property there: Felix Wolski, 3 łanís* and 2 zagrodnicy [peasant farmers working garden-sized plots of land]; Wojciech Szuba, 1 łan and 2 zagrodnicy; Wacław Sowa, 1 łan and 2 zagrodnicy; Jędrzej Rychalski and Maciej Strzezik, 1 łan each. The parish at that time was composed of: Bacharcie, Piaski, Piecki Małe and Piecki Wielkie, Skotniki Zabłotne, Tarnůwko, and Wola Wapowska. Two flint hatchets were discovered there. The Marcinki manorial farmstead was included in the estate district. The whole district had 11 houses and 145 Catholic inhabitants.

*łan Ė a measurement of the size of a farm, the value of which varied in different times and different places. In this context, one łan was probably a little less than 17 hectares.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1887, Vol. 8, p. 55, #15]

Translated by Allen & Marie Grasser, edited by William F. Hoffman.

Top of Page


Pieczyska

Current administrative location: Pieczyska, Gmina Dąbrowa Biskupia, Powiat Inowrocław, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Pieczyska, Kreis Inowroclaw, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich.

1) Mistakenly called Pieczysk. It is an estate located in powiat Inowrocław. Pieczyska is about 11 kilometers northeast of Kruszwica. Pieczyska belongs to the Pieranie Parish. The post office is located in Parchanie. The railway station is located 13 kilometers away in Inowrocław. The Pieczyska estate has 2 houses with 57 inhabitants, all of them Catholic. The estate of Pieczyska has an area of land equal to 552.41 hectare (281.51 hectare of farmland, 45.50 hectare of meadows, 15.22 hectare of pasture, 187.69 hectare of forests, 22.26 hectare of unused barren land, and 0.23 hectare of water). The income generated from the land is equal to 2716 marks. The estate specializes in sheep breeding. The estate is owned by Józef Mański.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.8, p.75].

Translated by Al Wierzba, November 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Pieranie

Current administrative location: Pieranie, Gmina Dąbrowa Biskupia, Powiat Inowrocław, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Freitagsheim, Kreis Inowroclaw, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich.

German name: Freitagsheim. It is the local parish church and an estate located in powiat Inowrocław. Pieranie is about 13 kilometers northeast of Kruszwica. Pieranie is located near the border of the Kingdom of Poland. The Pieranie Parish church is located within the Pieranie estate. The post office is located in Parchanie. The railway station is located in Inowrocław, which is about 15 kilometers away. Together with the parish, there are 9 houses with 151 inhabitants (5 Protestants and 146 Catholics).

The Pieranie estate has an area of land equal to 575.97 hectare (406.80 hectare of farmland, 54.22 hectare of meadows, 83.25 hectare of pasture, 27.44 hectare of unused barren land, and 4.26 hectare of water). The income generated from the land is equal to 2460 marks.

In 1301, Mikołaj Widowicz, Pastor of Płock, gave the Pieranie Parish church to the Włocławek diocese. In 1583, the estate was held by Sebastyan Osiecki. The Pieranie Parish consists of: Bąkowo, Baśkowo, Dziewa, Głojkowo, Pieranie, and Sobiesiernie. In 1595, for a time, the local church was in the hands of the protestants and the minister was Jan Pigeliusz. Currently, the Pieranie Parish belongs to the Gniewkowo deanery. In 1873, there were 935 souls belonging to the parish.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.8, p.93].

Translated by Al Wierzba, November 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Pilwiszki

Now Pilviskiai, Lithuania, a municipal settlement, before 1867 a small town, on the river Szeszupa [Sesupe] by the mouths of the rivers Pilwa [Pilve] and Wysoka [Visakis], in Maryampol [Marijampole] county, Pilwiszki gmina and parish. This settlement has a scenic location on an elevated bank of the river. It is 27 km. from Maryampol and 15 km. from Wylkowyszki [Viikaviskis]. It has a wooden parish church, the gmina office, an elementary school, a pharmacy, and a railroad station of the Warsaw St. Petersburg line on the branch running from Kowno [Kaunas] to Ejtkuny [Chernyshevskoye}, Kaliningrad oblast, Russia], 31 km. from Wierzbolowo [Virbalis], and 93 km. from Koszedary [Kaisiadorys]. The settlement has 157 houses and 2,291 inhabitants. In 1827 there were 81 houses there, with 888 inhabitants; in 1862 there were 226 houses with 1,889 inhabitants.

Pilwiszki arose on the grounds of extensive forests that comprised royal estates. Originally a village, in 1536 it received a town charter. The absence of favorable conditions limited the town's development, and it took on the character of a village; it was not until 1792 that a new charter issued by Stanislaw August restored its status as a town and returned privileges to its populace that the abuses of starostas had usurped. In 1709 the starosta of Pilwiszki, Stefan Chrapowicki, founded a church and parish here. Pilwiszki is known for its cattle and horse fairs. Currently 6 fairs are held there each year. The parish of Pilwiszki, in the deanery of Maryampol (formerly Sapiezyszki [Zapyskis]) has 7,003 souls.

The gmina of Pilwiszki belongs to gmina court district No. 2 in Dbowa Buda [Azuolt Buda], and is served by the post office in Maryampol. The gmina includes these localities: Antonowo [AntanavasJ, Arzolupie [Arzuolupiai], Audeiszki [AudiejiskeJ, Auksztyszki [? Aukstiske], Bartniki [Bartninkai], Biersztupie [Berstupis], Bierznowienie-Czepajcia [? Berznaviene-Cepaicaiai], Bierznowienie-Dabrowskich, Bogata [Bagatoji], Budwiecie Budvietis], Garbiszki [? Gabriske], Gieruliszki [Geruliske], Izdogi [? Isdagai] Male, Izdogi Nadwysokie, Jozuniszki [Juozuniske] Poparafialne, Jozuniszki Rzadowe, Jurksze [Jurksai], Kaiwa [Kalva], Karkliniszki [? Karkliniskes], Kiermusze [? Kermuse], Kirsnokiszki [Kirsnokiske], Krawniszki [? Kriauniske], Kuczyszki [Kuciske], Linksmokalnie [Linksmakalnis], Mejsztyszki [Meistiske], Pilwiszki, Pinczyszki [? Pinciskiai], Poprudzie [Paprudziai], Potaszniki, Skindeliszki [Skindeliske], Stejniszki [Stainiske], Stepkiszki [Stepkiske], Szatmusie [? Sakmusis], Szaudynie [? Siaudyniai], Szaudadusze [Siadaduse], Szlurpkiszki Sliurpkiske], Tymienszczyki [Timinciske], Ubognowina, Uszpilnie [? Uzpilviai], Uszprudzie [? Uzprudziai], Warakiszki [Varakiske], Wojty [Vaitai], and Wysokiszki [? Visakiskiai].

Pilwiszki forest district has 47,601 morgs of land and is divided into sections called Wilemska, Sparwinie, Girniki [? Girnikai], and Klampupie [? Klampupiai]. In 1861 a marksman's school for the gubernia of Augustow was held in this forest district. In 1828 amber was discovered here; the treasury received a total of 1,093 silver rubles for the right to mine it.

Pilwiszki starostwo, not affiliated with a grod, was in Troki [TrakaiJ province, Kowno county. According to 1866 treasurers' lists it consisted of the town of Pilwiszki and the Giwaltowo [? GavaltuvaJ estate with appurtenances, owned by Chrapowicki, Orsza marshal, who paid a kwarta of 3,084 zlp. and 4 gr., and a hyberna of 1,246 zlp. The Sejm of 1773 1775 bestowed emphyteutic ownership of this starostwo on Jacek Paszkowki, master of the equerry for the province of Brzesc Litewski, and he paid a kwarta of 3,533 zlp. [Br[onislawJ Ch{lebowski]

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1887, vol. 8, p. 147].

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Winter 2004 Rodziny.

Top of Page


Pilzno

Link to translation by William F. Hoffman, for PGST "Polish Footprints" (Nov 1998)

Top of Page


Piotrkowice

A village and manorial farmstead on a lake in Kolo county, Piotrkowice gmina*, Wqsosze parish, 30 versts [about 32 km.] from Kolo. It has a general elementary school, a brickyard, and an oil mill. The village has 9 houses and 228 inhabitants; the manorial farmstead has 4 houses and 107 inhabitants.

In 1886 the estate of Piotrkowice (formerly 1esin) consisted of. the manorial farmsteads of Piotrkowice and Rozopole, the settlement of Slesin, and the villages of Piotrkowice, Wygoda, Kolebki, Polwiosk Stary, Polwiosk Nowy, and Niedzwiady. The manorial grounds covered 1,082 mórgs. The manorial farmstead of Piotrkowice had 742 mórgs of farmland and gardens, 19 of meadows, 9 of pastureland, 18 of forests, 18 unused, for a total of 806; there were 12 buildings of stone and 12 of wood, and 6-and 13 field crop rotation. The manorial farmstead of Rozopol had 240 mórgs of farmland and gardens, 3 of meadows, 21 of forests, and 12 unused, for a total of 276; there were 2 buildings of stone and 4 of wood; there was 10 field crop rotation, and a windmill The settlement of Slesin had 116 settlements with 871 mórgs; the village of Piotrkowice had 19 settlements with 52 mórgs; the village of Wygoda had 31 settlements, with 187 mórgs; the village of Kolebki had 32 settlements and 261 m6rgs; the village of Polwiosk Stary had 37 settlements with 328 mórgs; the village of Polwiosk Nowy had 32 settlements with 148 mórgs; the village of Niedzwiady had 42 settlements with 497 mórgs. According to the Lib. ben. Lask (II, 212 and 228), a dziesiccina from the Piotrkowice manorial farmstead's lans and from certain lans belonging to the peasants was given to the pastor of the parish church in Wasosze, and the pastor in Sompolno took others of the peasants' Lana According to the Konin county tax register for 1879 the village of Piotrkowice, in the parish of Wassosze [sic], belonged to Stanislaw Zagorski, and it had 2 lans and 2 zagrody without land (Pawinski, Wielkopoiska, Vol. I, p.241).

Piotrkowice gmina belongs to the district IV gmina court in Sompolno; the post office is in Sompolno as well. The grnina has 9,195 mórgs of land and 2,743 inhabitants (as of 1867). [Br{onistaw} Ch{lebowski}].

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1887, vol. 8, p. 208].

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Fall 2003 Rodziny.

Top of Page


Piotrkowice

Formerly known as Stankowice. A dominium located in powiat Inowrocław. It is located about 8 kilometers southwest from Inowrocław. Piotrkowice belongs to the Ludzisko Parish. The post office is located in Mątwy. The railway station is located about 6 kilometers away in Janikowo. Piotrkowice has 10 houses with 158 inhabitants (all Catholics).

The Piotrkowice dominium has an area of land equal to 501.35 hectare (304.67 hectare of farmland, 148.99 hectare of meadows, 3.77 hectare of forest, 6.52 hectare of unused barren land, and 37.40 hectare of water). The income generated from the land is equal to 9454 marks. Piotrkowice has a peat bog, dairy farm, and a cattle breeder.

The property belonged to Walery Rutkowski until he sold his inheritance to the Germans. Piotrkowice was known and established by 1450 (Ryszczew. Kod. Dypl., II, 895). In 1580, the owner was Jan Wleniecki.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.8, p.210].

Translated by Al Wierzba, December 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Pławin

Current administrative location: Pławin, Gmina Inowrocław, Powiat Inowrocław, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Plawin, Kreis Inowroclaw, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich.

A dominium located in powiat Inowrocław. It is located about 5 kilometers southeast of Pakość. Pławin belongs to the Kościelec Parish. The post office is located in Jaksice. There are railway stations located about 7 kilometers away in both Inowrocław and Złotniki. Pławin has 4 houses with 113 inhabitants (89 Catholics and 24 Protestants).

The Pławin dominium has an area of land equal to 305.90 hectare (294.40 hectare of farmland, 8.60 hectare of meadows, and 2.90 hectare of unused barren land). The income generated from the land is equal to 5480 marks. Pławin specializes in sheep and cattle breeding, along with sugar beet farming.

The owner is Edmund Mittelstaedt. In 1488, the Bishop of Włocławek, Piotr of Bnin, gave Pławin a seminary in exchange for a tithe (tenth of the dominium's income). In 1583, Jan Pławinski sat at the head of the Pławin seminary. From documents dating from the 14 century, there possibly could have been a mill located in Pławin, see also the entry for the village of Pławanów (Ryszczew. Kod. Dypl. II, 157). E. Cal.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.8, p.278].

Translated by Al Wierzba, August 2010. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Pławinek

Current administrative location: Pławinek, Gmina Inowrocław, Powiat Inowrocław, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Plawinek, Kreis Inowroclaw, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich.

A dominium located in powiat Inowrocław. It is located about 8 kilometers southeast of Inowrocław. Pławinek belongs to the Góra Parish. The post office and railway station are located in Inowrocław. Pławinek has 10 houses with 147 inhabitants (all Catholics).

The Pławinek dominium has an area of land equal to 427.45 hectare (391.66 hectare of farmland, 14.30 hectare of meadows, 0.17 hectare of pastures, 5.75 hectare of forest, and 15.57 hectare of unused barren land). Pławinek specializes in Dutch cattle breeding. The owner is Kazimiera Łyskowska. E. Cal.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.8, p.278].

Translated by Al Wierzba, December 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Plocicz

Plocicz, in the Kodeks Wielkopolski mentioned as Ploczyce, in 1357 Plocyce, 1597 Pletz, 1673 Plociez, German Ploetzig. a village in Zlotow powiat, served by the postal station and Catholic parish in Kamien, and by the Protestant congregation in Sepólno; it has its own school. It covers an area of 8,047.81 Magdeburg-measure mórgs. In 1868 there were 306 buildings, 125 houses, and 842 inhabitants, 673 of them Catholic, 169 Protestant. Plocicz lies on the highway leading from Chojnice to Naklo, about 4 km. south of Kamien. In 1597 a village Stare-Lolowo existed next to Plocicz. A green meadow near a forest separates both from Kamien. In 1859 a jug with silver coins, buckles, and earrings, as well as ingots and sheets of silver, dating from the 10th and 11th centuries, were found in Plocicz (see Der Kreis Flatow by Schmitt, p. 268, and Preuss. Prov., Bl. 1851, XI, p. 318). Plocicz was mentioned in a 1357 charter of King Kazimierz as belonging to the Gniezno archbishops (see Kodeks dyplomatyczny Wielkopolski, III, No. 1354). See also Kamien, Vol. 3, p. 739.- Rev. Frydrychowitcz

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1887, vol. 8, p. 284].

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Fall 1997Bulletin.

Top of Page


Pniewo

Pniewo, a village and estate on the Narew river, powiat of Lomza, gmina and parish of Puchaly. In 1827 it had 32 houses and 288 inhabitants. In 1884 the manorial farmstead of Pniewo-A, including the villages of Pniewo, Budy Pniewskie, Rybno, and Gac, covered 3,090 morgs, of which farmland and gardens occupied 546, meadows 597, pastureland 121, forests 1,721, water 74, and 31 were unused. There were 4 buildings made of stone and 33 of wood; 7-field crop rotation was in use; the forest was not administered. The village of Pniewo had 28 settlements, with 452 morgs of land; the village Budy Pniewskie had 4 settlements and 39 morgs of land; the village Rybno-A had 9 settlements and 111 morgs of land; the village Gac had 2 settlements with 3 morgs of land.

The manorial farmstead of Pniewo-B had 1,268 morgs: farmland and gardens 225, meadows 245, pastureland 33, forests 136, water 16, and 13 unused. It had 3 stone buildings, 7-field crop rotation, and the forest was unadministered. This manorial farmstead was split off from the estate of Puchaly. [Br. Ch. - ]

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1887 [Vol. 8, p. 333]

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Fall 2000.

Top of Page


Podbudwiecie

A settlement in the parish and rural district of Kopciowo, Sejny county, located 15 versts from Sejny. One house and 8 residents.


Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1887 [Vol. 8, p. 365]

Translated by Dorothy Leivers, Hadlow, Kent, England, Dorfleiv@aol.com (May 2004)

Top of Page


Podgaj

Current administrative location: Podgaj, Gmina Aleksandrow–Kujawski, Powiat Aleksandrów, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Podgaj, Powiat Nieszawa, Gubernia Warszawske, Vistula Land, Russian Empire.

1) A village located in powiat Nieszawa and gmina Służewo. The village of Podgaj belongs to the Służewo Parish. Podgaj has a population of 89 inhabitants and 18 morgs of peasant owned land.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.8, p.376].

Translated by Al Wierzba, May 2010. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Podhelenowo

A settlement in the parish and rural district of Kopciowo, Sejny County, locatred 20 versts from Sejny. 2 houses and 24 people. In the past it was part of the estate of Justyanowo.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1887 [Vol. 8, p. 391]

Translated by Dorothy Leivers, Hadlow, Kent, England, Dorfleiv@aol.com (May 2004)

Top of Page


Podjauczule

A settlement in the parish and rural district of Kopciowo, Sejny county which is located 28 versts from the town of Sejny. There are 3 houses with 17 residents and 16 morgs of land. In the past it was part of the estate of Justyanowo.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1887 [Vol. 8, p. 400]

Translated by Dorothy Leivers, Hadlow, Kent, England, Dorfleiv@aol.com (May 2004)

Top of Page


Podlipki

A village in the parish of Lejpuny, rural district of Kopciowo, Sejny county. Located 33 versts from Sejny, the village has 16 houses with 169 residents. In 1827 there were 12 houses and 136 residents.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1887 [Vol. 8, p. 427]

Translated by Dorothy Leivers, Hadlow, Kent, England, Dorfleiv@aol.com (May 2004)

Top of Page


Podumble

A peasant village the parish and rural district of Kopciowo, Sejny county. It is 24 versts from the town of Sejny. There are 19 houses and 215 residents and 845 morgs of land. Once part of the Justyanowo estate.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1887 [Vol. 8, p. 476]

Translated by Dorothy Leivers, Hadlow, Kent, England, Dorfleiv@aol.com (May 2004)

Top of Page


Pohulanka

Located 26 versts from the town of Sejny. In 1827, there was one house with 9 people and it may have been part of the parish of Sereje. Now there are 2 houses and 13 people and it is in the parish and rural district of Kopciowo, Sejny county.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1887 [Vol. 8, p. 529, item 15]

Translated by Dorothy Leivers, Hadlow, Kent, England, Dorfleiv@aol.com (May 2004)

Top of Page


Polabiele

A settlement in the parish and rural district of Kopciowo, Sejny county. It is 35 versts from the town of Sejny. 2 houses, 13 inhabitants.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1887 [Vol. 8, p. 561]

Translated by Dorothy Leivers, Hadlow, Kent, England, Dorfleiv@aol.com (May 2004)

Top of Page


Polaczany

A village in the parish and rural district of Kopciowo. 21 versts from the town of Sejny. There are 7 houses and 75 people, and a land area of 507 morgs In earlier time it was part of the manorial farmstead of Holny Wolmera.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw 1887

Translated by Dorothy Leivers, Hadlow, Kent, England, Dorfleiv@aol.com (May 2004)

Top of Page


Pol~czyn

Polczyn 1). German Polzin, in a 1717 document Polczyno, a Chelmno village and estate, or a free solectwo in Kaszuby, Wejherowo county, with a post office; served by the Catholic and Evangelical Protestant parishes in Puck, 3.5 km. to the cast, railway station in Wejherowo, 12 kin. southwest, Catholic school in Polczyn. It contains 12 peasant properties and 8 zagrod as, covering an area of 115 wlokas and 28 morgs. In 1869 there were 470 inhabitants (403 Catholic, 67 Evangelical Protestant), 46 houses. The free solectwo by itself is 311.9 hectares, with net profit of 3,216 marks from the land; cattle are raised there. In 1858 it was owned by Hannemann. Polczyn lies on the Gdansk highway, 3.7 km. from the Bay of Puck; it has fertile soil.

On March 1, 1378 Walpot von Bessenheim, the Teutonic Knights commander for the region of Gdansk, granted the village of "Poltzin" to Konrad Wysen on terms of Chelmno law*, with 59112wiokas and 4 morgs. Of these 6 belonged to the free solectwo, and the rest paid 1 grzywna and 2 hens each, with 2 days of compulsory labor service. The bishop and pastor were to collect the usual tithes. Around 1400 there were 521/2 settled wlokas, and there was a tavern in the village. The village provided 5 armed men ("Wepner") for military expeditions. In 1656 King Kazimierz gave two serfs in Polczyn to the Puck townsman Tomasz Ranke for the rest of his life, as a reward for his loyal services. In 1657 when Polczyn, as a manorial farmstead, belonged to the castle of Puck, there were sown there 1 last and 24 bushels of rye, 31 bushels of barley, 3 lasts and 16 bushels of oats, and 21/2 bushels of peas. This farmstead produced 15 florins, 10 grosz, 5 achtels of butter, 14 hens, and 660 eggs. In 1650 the livestock inventory was as follows: 10 milk cows (at 13 florins), 13 other cows (at 15 florins), 7 two-year-olds, 3 one-year-olds, 1 stud, 3 swine, 9 hogs, 8 piglets, 8 geese, 15 hens, and 7 heifers (see Prutz, Geschichte des Kreises Neustadt, p. 238).

A 1678 inspection report reads as follows:

Village Polczyno and folwark. According to its charter it is supposed to have 581/2 wlokas and 4 morgs. Folwark: (a description of the buildings and gear follows, which we have omitted). The local official, a widower with a daughter and a son, also has a farmhand and a girl servant. The toll house and pension are as in the Pieleszewo folwark. Livestock and odds and ends: 16 cows, 1 stud, four 2-year old heifers, two 2-year-old bullocks, three year-old heifers, 1 bullock, 4 calves, 3 old swine, 1 stud, 2 hogs, 5 piglets, geese and hens as in all folwarks. First sowings: 1 last and 56 bushels of rye were sown for winter. The local official stated that the following amounts of vegetables can be sown: 50 bushels of barley, 2 lasts of oats, 6 bushels of peas. There is one orchard by the folwark and a second empty one, and when the crop is good, there is income for the castle from it.

The village settlement: soltys Piotr Parchem and his wife have four children, and live on 3 w1okas; per custom he sends horse and cart to the castle when they orderit, and supplies it with 5 bushels of oats. A second soltys, Szymon Lesnau and his wife, have two children and live on 3 w1okas. Like the first soltys, he provides cart and horses and oats. At one time there were 19 peasant properties in this village; now there are 13, and the 14th, vacant, is held by the leaseholder. Of these peasants, 8 do maintenance work on the road leading to the castle. The 9th belongs to His Excellency the dean of Puck per grant of privilege as seen below. The 10th and 11th are subject to Tomasz Ranken, mayor of Puck, by grant of privilege and ordinance as seen below. The 12th and 13th peasant properties belong to the patricians of Gdansk and are leased from them by various persons from time to time for up to a year.

Pawel Hanman, a serf, has a wife and one child, lives on 11/2 wlokas, and does road maintenance work like the others; he pays a rent of 3 fl., 26 grosz, 2 szelags, and provides 10 bushels of oats, 6 hens, and 6 eggs. The widow of Jakub Busz, a serf, has an adult son, a bachelor, who runs her farm; he does road maintenance work like the others, and provides 11 bushels of oats and hens and eggs like the others. Jakub Bolda, a serf, has a wife and two children, does road maintenance work, pays rent, and provides oats, hens, and eggs like all the others. Jan Szauenberg, a serf, has a wife and one child; he does road maintenance work, pays rent, and provides oats, hens, and eggs like all the others. Jerzy Detlof, a serf, has a wife and two children, etc. Jan Kleba, a serf, has a wife and four children, etc. Tomasz Dytlof, a serf, has a wife and two children, etc. Michal Kornik, a serf, has a wife, one child, and does the same as the others, additionally providing 10 bushels of oats. Jerzy Top, a serf, has a wife and 8 children; this peasant is subject to the honest Swietosz Brychelka, a townsman of Puck, according to a contract with the patricians of Gdansk for up to a year, until the feast-day of St. Ursula, and at the same time paid the lords of Gdansk an advance tribute of 70 florins a year; in addition this peasant pays rent and provides the castle with oats, hens, and eggs like the others. Michal Halman, a serf, has a wife, and is subject to Lord Jan Ross [sic], mayor of Puck, according to a contract from the Lords of Gdansk, for up to a year, until the feast-day of St. Ursula. He also paid the lords of Gdansk in advance for annual road maintenance work; he pays rent and provides the castle with oats, hens, and eggs. Michal Parchem, a serf, has a wife and two children; he leases 1 1/2 wlokas, paying a rent of 30 florins, and helps with the harvest like the others. Jakub Bosch, a serf, has a wife and a dwelling and some land, for which he pays 12 florins. Andrys Buszch, son of Matys Buszch, a serf, has a wife and four children; he is subject to the dean of Puck, Rev. Jerzy Rydelius, by virtue of a cession by Her Excellency Mrs. Zawadzka, wife of the Puck starosta, by a grant of privilege from His Majesty King Jan Kazimierz dated 4 August 1661. We found him mentioned as possessor of a life-long grant of privilege in an inspection report from 1669, to which he produced a confirmation by the present King, His Majesty, Jan III, dated 25 October 1677, with all rights remitted to His Majesty. Tomasz Hanman, heir of the late Tomasz Busch, is a serf, and Jerzy Kornik, successor to Jedrzej Detlef, is another. They are subject to Lord Tomasz Lucki of Ranki, Puck mayor, and his wife Katarzyna, who shares his right to them; he produced a grant of privilege from His Majesty, King Jan Kazimierz, dated 2 December 1656, giving him life-long right to these serfs, and so forth. Pawel Rewa, a serf, has a wife and three children; he is the owner of a garden-sized plot... The lord's beer in this village is served in turn by peasants, each for a year (pp. 316-33a)

.In conclusion, we should add that between 1862 and 1865 a decorated urn was recovered here on the village's northwest side, 50 steps to left of the highway leading to the village of ZdradyIt was filled with bones and covered with a flat stone (see Objasn. do mapy archeol. Prus Zach., by Ossowski, p. 91).

2.) PoIczyn, German name Polzin, a knightly estate, in the same place, 250 hectares; property of Simon.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [Rev.Frydrychowitcz, 1887 Vol. 8, pp. 711-712]

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA August 2000 Rodziny.

Top of Page


Polun~ce

Polunce, a peasant village, Lida powiat, in the 4th political district, belonging to the Radun gmina and rural district and treasury-owned estate of Kiwance, one km. from the gmina, 39 inhabitants.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1887, vol. 8, p. 703].

Translated by Barbara Proko, Boulder, CO and edited by Fred Hoffman. From the PGSA Summer 1998 Bulletin.

Top of Page


Pomiany

Current administrative location: Pomiany, Gmina Koneck, Powiat Aleksandrów, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Pomiany, Powiat Nieszawa, Gubernia Warszawske, Vistula Land, Russian Empire.

1) A manor farm (folwark) and village located in powiat Nieszawa and gmina Straszewo. Pomiany belongs to the Koneck Parish. It is a distance of 11 verst from Nieszawa. Pomiany has 71 inhabitants. In 1876, this folwark was separated from the Koneck estate. The Pomiany folwark has 190 morgs of open area (181 morgs of arable farm and garden land, 2 morgs of meadows, 7 morgs of barren land), 4 brick buildings and 1 wooden building. The Pomiany village has 9 inhabitants on 10 morgs of land.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.8, p.744].

Translated by Al Wierzba, November 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Popowice

Current administrative location: Popowice, Gmina Inowrocław, Powiat Inowrocław, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Popowice, Kreis Inowroclaw, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich.

1) An estate located in powiat Inowrocław. It is located about 4 kilometers southwest of Inowrocław. Popowice belongs to the Inowrocław Parish. The post office and railway station are also located in Inowrocław. Popowice has 8 houses with 129 inhabitants (all Catholics).

The Popowice estate has an area of land equal to 310.56 hectare (221.60 hectare of farmland, 18.20 hectare of meadows, 66.24 hectare of pastures, and 4.51 hectare of unused barren land). The income generated from the land is equal to 5219 marks.

Popowice is owned by the (Zwiastowania) NMP Parish in Inowrocław. As far back as 1583, Popowice was owned by an Inowrocław pastor and the estate was comprised of 5 łans (fields).

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1895, vol.8, p.800].

Translated by Al Wierzba, December 2009. Originally posted on Al's Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.

Top of Page


Pora~bka

Porabka, a village in Limanowa powiat, Roman Catholic parish in Dobra, lies in a hilly region, on the highway from the old Sub-Carpathian railway station in Dobra to Lapanow and Gdow. The elevation of the village is 611 meters; to the west the Snieznica rises to a height of 1,006 meters, to the east the elevation is 650 meters. The village is on the bank of the Lososina. Spruce forests stretch to the west and south. It borders to the south on Dobra, to the north on Stroza Struskiewicze, to the east on Zawadka, and has 443 inhabitants, 438 Roman Catholic and 5 Jewish. On the grounds of the major estate, owned by the Cistercian Fathers' monastery in Szczyrzyc, there are 2 houses, 21 Roman Catholic inhabitants. Of its 936 morgs, the major estate has 164 (i.e., 40 of farmland, 15 of meadows, 15 of pastures and 194 of woods); the minor estates has 872 (i.e., 415 farmland, 113 of meadows, 171 of pastures and 173 of woods). The soil is for oats and rocky. The gmina has a loan society with a capital of 186 Rhenish zl. Dlugosz mentions this village (in Liber beneficiorum, II, 265) as the property of Spytek "de domo Streparum" ["of the house of Strepa"?]; at that time the peasants rendered a tithe to the Bishop of Kraków, and the pastor in Dobra also collected a tithe from the lan belonging to the nobility (praedium). In 1581 this village was divided into two parts: the property of the Szczyrzyc monastery had 9 peasant half-lan sections and a croft [zagroda] with farmland, and Sebastyan Sikorski's part had 1 peasant's lan and 7 crofts with land (Pawinski, Malopolska, 53).

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1887, vol. 8, pp. 813-814]

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Winter 1999 Bulletin.

Top of Page


Posady

Posady, a peasant village on the Radunka, Lida powiat, in the 4th political district, gmina and treasury-owned estate of Kiwance, 2 km. from the gmina, 32 km. from Lida and 40 km. from Wasiliszki [Vasiliski, Belarus], has 9 houses, 92 Catholic inhabitants (42 souls in the year 1864, per the rewizja).

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1887, vol. 8, p. 842].

Translated by Barbara Proko, Boulder, CO and edited by Fred Hoffman. From the PGSA Summer 1998 Bulletin.

Top of Page

 
 
 

Home | Directory | About Us | Membership | PGSA Store | Contact Us | Site Map
© 1978-2014 Polish Genealogical Society of America, All rights reserved.
Website questions: webmaster@pgsa.org