The Guard is one of the oldest Polonia newspapers to be published, dating back to April 17, 1897 when it was established by Rev. Francis Hodur in Scranton, Pennsylvania.
The Guard has served as the communication tool for Rev. Francis Hodur as he expounded his national, social and religious programs through its pages, specifically to the many forming Polish independent parishes and to the American Polonia in general.
At the first Synod of what was to evolve into the Polish National Catholic Church [Polski Narodowy Katolicki Kosciol], held in Scranton, Pennsylvania, during September 1904,The Guard was designated as the official organ of the church.
As the need arose for the Polish National Catholics to establish its own fraternal organization, the Polish National Union of America [Polsko Narodowa Sp—jnia] was incorporated in 1908 and jointly with the church used The Guard as its official organ.
As the Polish National Catholic Church grew, it became necessary to establish its own official organ and in 1923 publication of God’s Field [Rola Boza] was initiated and The Guard became exclusively the official organ of the Polish National Union of America.
The following issues (originals or on microfilms) of The Guard [Straz] are in possession of the Polish National Union of America:
|1898||Missing No. 2, 3, 4, 5, 50, 51|
|1900||Missing No. 6, 36, 48, 53|
|1901||Missing No. 30, 49, 50, 51|
|1907||Missing No. 1, 2, 3|
|1909||We have only No. 1 & 44|
|1913||Missing No. 2, 4, 36, 44, 51|
|1914||Missing No. 1-30, 37, 39, 41, 43-45, 49|
|1915||Missing No. 16|
Online publication is courtesy of the author, Casimir J. Gotnik