The following items are a direct translation from the classical genealogical and heraldic reference “Herbarz Polski” by Kasper Niesiecki, S.J., Lipsk (Leipzig) edition, 1839-1846.


A lynx (rys) is fleeing to the right of the shield with its neck and head turned as if looking back. There is a crown on his head. Three lilies spring above the helmet; the center lily is somewhat taller and has a six-pointed star across the middle of its stem. I have noted elsewhere that the three lilies merge at the bottom of their stems. A similar coat of arms can be found in Pelplin in the church of the Cistercian Fathers. It is engraved on the tomb of Eleonora de Langnau, wife of Adryan Rembowski. There, the lynx wears no crown, nor is his neck turned back. The tombstone was laid in 1649. I have been unable to discover its beginnings and know only that it is used as a seal by the JACKOWSKIS and BAKOWSKIS of Prussia. (Paprocki and Okolski do not mention them.) They are in Lemburski County in the Pomorze voivodship altho, in recent times, some have settled in Mazowsze. The Jackowski family purchased a home from Bakowskis of Bakowo and altho they called themselves Jackowskis of Bakowo, by 1590, they became Bakowskis. In that year, I read of a KRZYSZTOF BAKOWSKI/Jackowski. In “Panegiryk Saleckiego: Lzy Zalobnej Minerwy” by Bishop Kaminski (no first name given), the bishop pays tribute to an ancestor of this family, which thrived in the 17th century, for the funding of the Carthusians near Gdansk.

JAN, standard-bearer of Malbork, was permitted to hold the Kiszewski subprefecture for life altho, for love of country, he had given up all rights to it at the Sejm of 1616. The family had enjoyed the office having underwritten its debts. Jan was called to make peace between Pomerania of the Crown and that of the Princes. He served his country as best he could. He was no less generous to God. He donated 5,000 to the Jesuits in Gdansk for the construction of a church which his wife beautifully embellished. She was Dorota Zalinska, the fair daughter of Maciej from Kostczanka, the Castellan of Gdansk, a woman of great intellect and humanity. She bore no children and after her husband’s death, married Konarski, the voivode of Malbork.

BAKOWSKI, PIOTR, brother of Jan, was a delegate to the Sejm in 1613, 1628 , and 1631. His fluency in speech and sense of justice in public deliberations was rewarded with the appointment of Deputy of the Radom Tribunal, where he served without compromising God, truth, or conscience. He died in 1640. Dzialynska bore his children. After her death, Izabella Zalinska, daughter of Samuel, voivode of Malbork, became his life-long friend. As a token of her undying love for him, she provided the tombstone in Lubawa. His daughter married Jerzy Sartawski.

MIKOLAJ of Bakowo, land judge (possibly a son of Piotr), died in 1668. His wife was Katarzyna Stolinska.

KRZYSZTOF BAKOWSKI, Chamberlain of Pomorze, brother of Piotr and Jan, spent his youth in the royal court, performing admirably. He is listed as chamberlain in 1622. He married Radziejowska, sister of the voivode of Leczyce. Their daughter first married Mikolaj Czapski (so it appears to me) and later, Jeremiasz Debinski. Krzysztof was buried in Chelmno and the marble tombstone laid in 1653.

ALEXANDER of Bakowo, Count of Nostyce or Nostwice, cousin of Jan, Piotr, and Krzysztof, deputy from Pomorze to the royal tribunal in 1620, married Katarzyna Wiesiolowska, sister of the Castellan of Elblag. They had two daughters, Alexandra and Zofiz Anna, and two sons, Ludwik and Jan Ignacy. Alexander and Katarzyna are buried in St. Joseph’s church in Torun, according to the marble headstone which was placed in 1663. LUDWIK sub-voivode of Malbork, son of Alexander, signed with this title, and with his brother, for the election of King John Casimir in 1648.

JAN IGNACY BAKOWSKI, son of Alexander, was Chamberlain of Chelmno, and later, Voivode of Pomorze; treasurer of the Prussian territories; head of Brodnicki, Skarszewski, and Borzechowski Counties; and finally, the Voivode of Malbork.

In 1685, in Kiszport, having received permission from the Republic, Jan Ignacy funded the residence of the Holy Spirit for the Reformist Fathers, who had been placed under the protection of the royal constitution in 1678. Earlier, in 1666, in Gdansk, he had built a monastery and church of St. Anthony of Padua for these same Reformist Fathers, an everlasting remembrance of his generosity of God. The Society of Jesus of the Collegium in Gdansk also was sustained by him and, to this day, the Jesuits express unceasing gratitude to their benefactor. He served his country with distinction and defended its liberalism with wit and glib tongue which never faltered. He was a delegate to the Sejm in 1659, 1661, and 1662. Assured of his cordiality, the Republic subjected him to discharging varied and difficult transactions, such as, ascertaining the claims of Brandenburg’s Kurfirszt to Elblag in 1678 with the Tsar in Moscow; as paymaster to the Army in 1676; managing the economy of Malbork in 1661; providing written information to a certain commission in 1662; and, as Commissioner, returning to the ladies of the convent the church of St. James in Torun, which was overcome with heresy (1667). It was there that he beautifully manifested religious fervor, which we trust God has lavishly rewarded with a crown in heaven. He contracted marriage twice: first, with Elzbieta Czeszewska, who gave birth to one daughter and two sons, Stanislaw and Jacek; and then with Cecylia, or rather, Konstancya Anna Donhoff.

STANISLAW IGNACY BAKOWSKI, Chamberlain of Chelmno, son of Jan Ignacy, the voivode of Malbork, was thrice deputized to the Sejm: for the coronation of King August II in 1697, when he signed the Confirmationern Jurium Gentium; in 1699; and before that, in 1696, to the general convocation in Warsaw.

JACEK was the second son of Jan Ignacy, v. of Malbork. Four or five of his sons are still living today. One of them, Jozef, has offered his life to God in our Order.

FRANCISZEK, cousin of Stanislaw and Jacek, is apparently the son of Ludwik, sub-voivode of Malbork, 1673.

JAN BAKOWSKI, Chamberlain of Chelmno, 1687, is mentioned in “Historia Collegii Gedanensis, S.J.” BAKOWSKA, mother of Miroslaw Konarski, Chamberlain of Malbork.

MATEUSZ BAKOWSKI, cupbearer and deputy from Halicz in 1764, voted for King Stanislaw August, as did MARCIN STANISLAW KOSTKA, writer of Grodno and deputy from Halicz, and JOZEF, master of the pantry of Chelmno.

Translated by Josephine M. Piegzik; first appeared in the June, 1981 issue of “Polish Genealogical Society Newsletter”.


An owl, its beak directed to the right, with wings in an upstroke position, stands on a stump which has a knot on either side. It is similar to Korwin’s except that it has no ring and has a different shape.

The widow, Anna Rembowska, ordered that this inherited coat of arms be inscribed on her friend Bartlinski’s marble tombstone which she had placed in the church of the Cistercian Fathers in Pelplin. I have been unable to trace the origin of this coat of arms. Konopatski mentions a Jerzy Bartlinski, land judge of Tczewsk, married to Regina Wiesiolowska, sister of the Castellan of Elblag, who had two daughters, Maryann and Alexandra, and two sons, Lenard and Jerzy. In 1643, one of this family, a deputy voivode of Pomerania, out of love for the Mother of God, left a memento of silver beside Her picture in Sierpsk, with which miracles are associated. Wojciech and Jan of Pomerania and Marcin from Czerniewo, voted to elect Wladyslaw IV. (Paprocki). Tyburcy Bartlinski, cupbearer of the crown, married Maryann Wieloglowska. Neither Paprocki nor Okolski writes about them.

In his annotations, Krasicki adds:

Bartlinski is given the cognomen, de Walenbach, in a manuscript on Prussian families (Helbsk.) and in it the coat of arms is described as a black starling on the stump of an oak with five roots and two branches, in a field of deep blue.  The starling’s wings are in an upstroke as tho he were landing. This coat of arms is also in the church in Pelplin, in a window, differing only in that the stump stands diagonally.

The Bartlinskis of Pomerania/ Pomorze are chivalrous, hospitable, and virtuous.  One of them serves Prince Radziwill in Gniew. He is a man of splendid courage and humanity. Married Brzeska whose coat of arms is Ciolek.

Translated by Josephine M. Piegzik; first appeared in the Spring 1982 issue of “Polish Genealogical Society Newsletter”.


A squirrel in profile, with forelegs raised, is on the shield, and a similar, smaller form sits on the helmet, just as in the Bazenski coat of arms, which was acquired in an auction along with the Bazenski estate, as stated by Konopatski. See Bazenski.

The family signature reads de Demuth Bartsch, although others write Barszcz, in the Polish accent. Of these, the famous General Bartsch, of the foreign royal army, reared in the military since youth, was an example of piety and a fervent faith, who fortified Holy Trinity in Podole with his own funds. He credited his conversion to the true faith to such servants of God as the officers of the Polish army, among whom was his relative, Franclszek Bartsch, a major in the Kamieniec regiment. Neither Paprocki nor Okolski writes about them.

Translated by Josephine M. Piegzik; first appeared in the Spring 1982 issue of “Polish Genealogical Society Newsletter”.


Samborski described it in 1640 as being the color of gold. In its center, two crosses merge in a vertical line, one of which is upright and the other is turned downward. The top cross is propped up by two supports on either side. A great number of these are found in the church of St. John in Warsaw.

The Baryczka family and its coat of arms came from Hungary or lower Pannonia. The ancient house was well known throughout that region for its spectacular deeds but, born to be free, refused to suffer under the Moslem yoke, and, in 1207, Iwo or Jan Baryczka left his wealth and estates to the Ottomans and migrated to Russia. He was tenth in line of ancestors with this coat of arms, and heir to the name and good qualities of his forefathers, when Jadwiga nee Rozycka, his equal by birth, became his betrothed. When, shortly, Russia was ablaze with civil wars, Iwo moved on to Mazowsze, where, due to his magnificent nature and virtuous attributes, he was granted honors and two villages by Prince Konrad. His descendants live there to this day serving their country. Of his three sons, Bartlomiej died blocking the invasion of the Lithuanians into Mazowsze; Henryk was more successful in battle against Henry the Bearded; Jan married Zegota nee Grzymala and multiplied his family.

Marcin Baryczka, son of Jan, Doctor of the Church, was curate and preacher at the cathedral in Kraków. He was a man whose commendable life of saintliness without pretense, amazing skills, fearless ardor for God’s honor, love of truth, and contempt for wordly pleasures, endeared him to all.

When King Casimir’s public lechery offended the eyes of good people, when serfdom groaned beneath the burden of intolerable taxation, all the while being scandalized by the debauchery of their ruler, and when, finally, the people descended in a crowd to redirect the ignoble monarch to the path of God, and, while others were afraid to speak out, even those in office whose duty it was to do so, the undaunted Father Martin reprimanded the King discreetly at first, and then chided him publicly. However, those blinded by their sins, stonehearted in their addictions, are generally deaf to counsel and admonitions of salvation.

Casimir, as though above the law, not only did not curtail his life of dissipation but rather increased it.

Bishop Bodzeta of Kraków, directed by Pope Clement VI to excommunicate the King, delegated Baryczka to deliver the condemnation. Weighed down by obedience but armed for anything for God, the devout priest went and, standing before the throne, pronounced the excommunication which barred the King from the community of the faithful.

The enraged Casimir’s only thought was to silence the preacher’s voice and so he ordered that the priest be arrested and thrown in prison. This, he soon perceived to be a dangerous indulgence as long as Baryczka was alive. He then commanded that a hole be cut in the ice of the Vistula River in which, on 8 January 1349, Baryczka was drowned. Neither the King’s brutality nor the priest’s innocence could remain hidden. Angels’ voices sounded over the spot where Baryczka was pushed and a supernatural light gleamed until the ice melted. Marcin’s body floated to the surface, the flesh unchanged as tho it had just been thrown into the water, a fragrance emanating from it.

Men and women in great numbers proceeded to the Church of St. Catherine of the Augustinian Fathers in Kraków, where the body was buried in the chapel of St. Michael. The inscription on the gravestone reads: Obiit bonae vitae, occisus Martinus Baryczka. There, through the intercession of His martyr, God continues to grant many blessings.

Soon after, God avenged the death of His innocent servant because a block of pestilential air lashed Poland for three years; four provinces, Belzk, Wlodzimir, Chelm, and Brzesk broke away from the kingdom; and the King, himself, on the birthday of the Virgin Mary, went hunting and, during a swift jump after a deer, fell with the horse, breaking his own leg. He subsequently died, wasting away, having left no heirs to the throne of Poland.

Jerzy Baryczka, second son of Jan, lies under a tombstone in Czersk, laid by his wife, Barbara, from Wyszkowic. It can be viewed to this day. Henryk Baryczka, the third son of Jan, married Barbara of Domniewo of the Dolega coat of arms. Their two sons were Waclaw, Canon of Wroclaw, and Wojciech, who died on the field of battle at Warna, beside Wladyslaw, King of Poland and Hungary. Szymon, son of Wojciech, exhibited extraordinary military prowess in Poland and Czechoslovakia as tho born to war, while his brother, Piotr, after a long life of service in the court of Duke Konrad of Mazowsze, retired to Warsaw, where his descendants flourish to this day. Of these, Piotr was a Canon of Warsaw. Jerzy, a linguist, was devoted to St. John’s Church in Warsaw, and during the burning of sacral art by heretics, salvaged the church’s crucifix from the flames. Their brother, Jan, served for a long time in the pay of King Louis of Hungary, and upon his return in 1526 was made a member of the court of Queen Anna.

Stanislaw, son of Bartlomiej, who had married into the famous German family of Fuker, displayed bravery in every campaign in Poland. He married Kulinska of the Odrowaz coat of arms, with whom he had three sons, Wojciech, Stanislaw, and Jacek.

Jacek, doctor and provincial of an order of preachers, funded its chairs of Theology and Philosophy, and began the construction of a church and monastery when death intervened.

His brother, Stanislaw, was a consultant in the Emperor’s court by reason of his fluency in many languages, good judgement, and choice of skills. All of Europe praised his eloquence which Klemens VIII ackowledged in a letter. Hetman Zolkiewski testified to his bravery. St. Dominic’s monastery and the nuns of St. Teresa in Warsaw certify to his generosity. He funded altars and churches, particularly, St. John in Warsaw, St. Joseph, and Holy Cross. The pious say that the stones of Warsaw, blessed as they are for all time by the passage of the sacramental God as He is carried to the sick, speak of many more of Stanislaw’s good qualities.

Wojciech, the brother of Jacek and Stanislaw, head of Ujazdowo, fought bravely against the Turks. For killing a powerful, Turkish giant, Emperor Rudolf welcomed him into the German nobility in 1590. However, Wojciech returned to Poland where freedom was more to his liking. He contributed significantly to the siege at Smolensk. Kircholm also experienced his mettle. Zygmunt III and Wladyslaw IV were pleased so much by his service that they made him the royal master of the horse, and the King’s secretary. A wound remained a continuous reminder of his warring expeditions and resisted all attempts at healing until his death in 1643. He, too, had been very generous to the houses of God.

Stanislaw Baryczka, heir to Machalowice and Czosnow, cupbearer of Czerniechow, royal secretary, was granted Polish citizenship by the Parliament in 1658, as were Wojciech and Jan. Brought up in Polish camps, he sharpened his knightly skills and proficiency in architectonics. King Jan Kazimierz depended on him at Zborow, Berestec, and Zwaniec. Stanislaw’s resourcefulness enabled the King to recover Torun, Kraków, and Warsaw from the Swedes. He was most fortunate in directing fire, setting up war machinery, and locating mines. Stanislaw was most generous to the clergy, and filled up the library of the Dominicans in Warsaw with books. He was still alive in 1680.

Jan, Canon of Plock and Pultusk, pastor of Kolen, died in middle age.

Wojciech, nephew of Stanislaw, the cupbearer, prepared to serve his country as a linguist but died at a very young age.

Michael, a captain, is possibly the author of Quantum Poeticum, printed in 1658.

Jedrzej (Andrew), master of the hunt in Sochaczewo, subscribed to the election of August II.

I have excerpted this information from Tylkowski although the accuracy of much of the contents is suspect. First of all, the Turks didn’t even touch Hungary in the century reported by the author. Their pagan might was hardly known in countries so great a distance away. It was only around 1301, that the Ottoman took possession of the State and began to press further, nearer to us, as is written by Miechowita, fol. 234. Tylkowki should have said that Iwo or Jan went to Russia with King Koloman of Halicz.

Later, he lists Stanislaw as the son of Bartlomiej from 1280, and quickly jumps to 1500.

Thirdly, he says that Marcin Baryczka was a curate for Bishop Nankier in Kraków who died in 1326 according to Starowolski, whereas Marcin was martyred in 1349 when Bodzeta, not Nankier, presided over the cathedral in Kraków.

Fourth, he says that upon his return from Hungary, Jan Baryczka was brought into the court by Queen Anna which is highly improbable because Anna was born some time after King Louis was killed.

Translated by Josephine M. Piegzik; first appeared in the Spring 1982 issue of “Polish Genealogical Society Newsletter”.


A gold arrow is set vertically on a field of blue. The point of the arrow is broken and bent to the left. The blade of a sword crosses its center. The end of the arrow is split and between the split ends is the numeral 8. Five ostrich plumes rise from the helmet. This is according to Paprocki (fol. 1212) and Okolski (v. 1). WACLAW from Baworowo, of Czech parentage, was the first to bring this coat of arms to Poland. He distinguished himself in the court of King Zygmunt I and was awarded the post of crown clerk in the field where he was feared by the enemy and loved by the Polish cavalry. He purchased or funded a castle and town with its neighboring villages in Podole and names it BAWOROWO. He married Katarzyna KOLANOWSKA, heiress of Iwaniec, whose daughter ANNA married BUCZACKI. (She was the mother of Buczacki, the sub-prefect of Bar, and others).

JAN, the son of the Waclaw and Katarzyna, became a knight. Waclaw’s second wife was Elzbieta, princess of Zbara and sister of Stefan, voivode of Trock, whose daughter Anna married Alexander Korybutowicz, Prince of Poryce. (paprocki, fol. 652). Her son, Mikolaj, captain of the cavalry, manifested great courage under fire and successfully defended the castles at Baworow and Ostrow from incursions by the Tartars. He married Malgorzata Skarbek and their progeny followed in his glorious footsteps. In 1593, the crown granted Mikolaj a sum to repair the damage done to his property by the enemy’s expeditions.

ANNA, daughter of JACEK, married Stafan Podhorodenski, swordbearer of Mielno, around 1697.

JOZEF, whose wife is from Jordanow, still lives. SZYMON, his brother, married to Treszkowska, had no children. JERZY is the third brother.

Wieladek lists the following:

WIKTOR BAWOROWSKI, councilman of the provinces of Galacia and lodomeria, knight of the Order of St. Stanislaus.

ALOIZY, master of the pantry of Trembowole; formerly, cupbearer of Halicz, 1673. Krasicki notes an ONUFRY BAWOROWSKI who married Charczewska, castellan heiress to Balice property in Przemysl. In 1778, they had a son, Jan and two daughters.

Translated by Josephine M. Piegzik; first appeared in the Fall 1982 issue of “Polish Genealogical Society Newsletter”.


Neither Paprocki nor Okolski writes about this one. A vertical arrow points downward in a field of red. Its iron point pierces the head of a snake which has wound itself around the arrow so that its tail touches the feathered end of the arrow. The arrow’s point is embedded among three mushrooms, one of which is in the foreground and the other two are on either side of the arrow. Above is a common single crown.

The origin of this coat of arms is uncertain as is the case of others originating in Lithuania or Russia. It is said that a notable Negro, who had enjoyed a long honorable stay in the court of the Lithuanian Prince, assisted the Prince in the field one day, when he spotted a snake and let fly an arrow so effectively that it pinned the head of the snake into the ground.

Translated by Josephine M. Piegzik; first appeared in the Fall 1982 issue of “Polish Genealogical Society Newsletter”.


There is a negro in whose hand a gray squirrel stands on its hind legs, gnawing on a nut held in its forelegs, its tail across its back, in a field of red. Neither Paprocki nor Okolski mentions this family. In Konopacki’s book on Polish heraldry, the squirrel is red in a field of yellow and, atop the helmet, the negro holds a banner on which the same squirrel is depicted. To this day, one can see many of these in Skarszewy before the great altar and on gravestones, and in the church in Gdansk and elsewhere. Because the BARTSCH family still has the same design, without the negro, it would seem that the families were related. The first BAZENSKI ancestor that I have come across is KONRAD de Zeilingen Equitem de Hantsche. Following the defeat of the Teutonic Knights of the Cross at Grunwald in 1410, KONRAD purchased a village in Warmia from its Bishop Henryk. The village was named Beisen in German and Bazyn in Polish, from which Konrad and his descendants derived their surname, BAZENSKI. (Kromer called them Baszenski.)

JAN de Beisen, son of Konrad, was voivode of Gdansk and governor of Prussia. In his youth, he had served in the camp of the King of Aragon, either Ferdinand or Alfons. During Aragon’s war with Mauretania, the opposing sides reached a stand-off, having suffered tremendous casualties. The leaders agreed to resolve the matter by staging a duel between their two bravest knights. The losing side would pay tribute to the other for all time. When no Spaniard dared to face the Maurite whose posturing alone was intimidating, JAN de Beisen stepped forward and fought so ably that the pagan yielded. For this bravery, the King showered him with gifts, knighthood, and the coat of arms. Jan returned to his country with letters from the King to the Grand Master of the Teutonic Order, bringing with him the negro slave.

On his arrival in Prussia, Jan bought some lands, but got into a dispute with Bishop Francis of Warmia over a nearby lake. The commissioners decided in the Bishop’s favor and the decision was confirmed by the Grand Master. Jan appealed to the Prussian authorities, who ruled against the Bishop. This angered the Grand Master who then confiscated and looted all of Jan’s holdings, and Jan was forced to seek protection from King Casimir of Poland.

The Prussians had been chafing for some time under the tyranny of the Teutonic Order, deliberating on ways to throw off this yoke, so that Jan had no difficulty in persuading them to join the Poles when the King found it feasible to restore his right to Prussia. For his help, King Casimir appointed Jan the governor of Prussia and voivode of Gdansk. In 1454, Jan and his brother, GABRYEL, voivode of Elblag, agreed on an annual tribute to the Kings of Poland. Gabryel was then voivode of Chelm until 1476. In the Prussian senate, the voivode of Chelm followed the bishops in rank. According to records in Malbork, differences between Gabryel and Jakob Kostka were settled by Jan Sedziwoj of Czarnkowo, castellan of Santock.

SCIBOR, the third brother, was governor of Prussia, and assigned voivode of Malbork by King Casimir when the Prussians asked the King to dissolve the governorship of Prussia. History also records BAZENSKI chamberlains:JAN of Chelm in 1468 and his uncle Tolmicki of Malbork. I suspect that they were the first chamberlains in those voivodships because Kromer writes that King Casimir appointed three chamberlains while establishing the rule in Prussia in 1468. The chamberlains were seated in the Senate and permitted to vote.

There was also, at this time, a JAKOB BAZENSKI, under whose command, the castle and town of Heilsberg were defended against the Teutonic Knights.

According to Dlugosz, MIKOLAJ BAZENSKI, son of Scibor and castellan of Gdansk, ascended to the voivodship of Malbork in the 16th century. He was succeeded by JAN BAZENSKI, who assisted King Zygmunt I of Poland at the congress in Vienna in 1515. He may have died that year because a JERZY BAZENSKI is named voivode of Malbork. I don’t know if this is the same Jan Bazenski who was castellan of Elblag in 1478 and the treasurer of Prussia in 1486.

JERZY BAZENSKI was chamberlain and then voivode of Malbork. King Zygmunt placed the nuns of Torun under his protection in 1521, and made him commissioner in Gdansk in 1535.   It may be his son, also JERZY, who is being praised in “Historia Possellii” ( 1559) for his good looks, physical grace, wit, and other attributes, in which he excelled in the court of King Zygmunt. Three others named JAN are listed: two were chamberlains of Chelm, one in 1543; and the third was chamberlain of Malbork in 1546 when he became castellan of Gdansk.

In 1547, a JAN BAZENSKI was also castellan of Elblag.

A Bazenska married Sokolowski of the Pomian coat of arms; another married Cema, of Wczele coat of arms, mother of two sons who became voivodes of Malbork. Her dowry was the village of Lichtenfeldt, taxed at sixty thousand in gold coin.

Thus the family prospered for 150 years, in wealth and honors, the descendants enjoying the lands granted by King Casimir for their faithful service. Among the holdings were Sztum, Gniew, Skarszewy, and Sobowidz, until they were abrogated by King Zygmunt August. Bazyn was later sold to Bartsch de Demuth. Dust settled over the Bazenski line in the 17th century. The last member of the family, LUDWIK BAZENSKI, died in 1612, childless. Shortly after him, the last female of the family died. Her first husband was Jan Kostka from Sztemberk, and the second was Samuel Plemiecki, neither of
whom had children.

Translated by Josephine M. Piegzik; first appeared in the Spring 1983 issue of “Polish Genealogical Society Newsletter”.


The barrel is in gold.  Okolski states that this coat of arms was used in the Duchy of Lithuania.  No other details are given and I know of no family which carries this armorial at this time.

Translated by Josephine M. Piegzik; first appeared in the Fall 1983 issue of “Polish Genealogical Society Newsletter”.


The leg of an eagle is centered in a brown field. Its upper feathered part is black and the claw is in gold. A quarter moon is to one side of the leg, and an eight-pointed star is on the other. Above the shield is a crowned helmet from which three ostrich plumes project. (Rutka, Okolski).

This coat of arms is of Hungarian origin and similar to Topacz.

KASPER BEKESZ (whose father had been an emissary of Queen Isabella of Hungary to the Turkish Tsar Soliman) successfully negotiated a peace treaty in Vienna when he was a Chamberlain in the court of Jan Zygmunt, Prince of Siedmiogrodz.

After two trips to Constantinople, Kasper so captivated the monarch with his abilities and magnanimous heart, that he was awarded the moon and star in the coat of arms of his ancestors. Kasper enjoyed such wide respect that, when Jan died, he boldly fought Stefan Batory’s claim to Siedmiogrodz. Having lost, Kasper left the country. However, when Batory became King of Poland, Bekesz approached him apologetically, and the King responded graciously by making Kasper and his brother, Gabriel, Generals. One commanded the cavalry and the other, the infantry. They served their King faithfully. Gabriel lost his life in battle against Moscow at Pleszkowski castle when he was shot twice after his horse was wounded. Kasper succumbed after many valiant campaigns which drained his strength and health.

Thanks to the deeds of their father and uncle, GABRIEL and WLADYSLAW BEKESZ were conferred honorary citizenship (1593) and given access to all high offices in the Kingdom, as well as, in the Duchy of Lithuania (Okolski).

When his father died, WLADYSLAW was cared for by King Stefan Batory who sent him to Wilno for studies, and then to the College at Pultusk. Wladyslaw became head of Wschow (starosta Wschowski), a courtier, and a captain of the royal cavalry. He joined the camp of Zygmunt III. In his first expedition at Byczyna, against Prince Maximilian of Austria, Wladyslaw was wounded in the neck and hand, but despite the loss of blood would not leave the battlefield. When the warring era in Hungary began, Wladyslaw gathered quite a large force and hurried to the assistance of Prince Maciej at Jauryn. In one charge, one hundred Turks were killed, 148 were taken prisoner, and 400 retreated from the field. Wladyslaw brought 49 of the camels and mules to camp. On his return to Poland, he joined King Zygmunt in battling the Swedes. Wladyslaw suffered many difficulties while defending Kolmarski’s castle in Sweden. For his services, the King awarded him a section of Wschow County and the subprefectures: Prennenskie, Bastawskie, and Hanselenskie.

Translated by Josephine M. Piegzik; first appeared in the Fall 1983 issue of “Polish Genealogical Society Newsletter”.


The Belina coat of arms is composed of three white horsehoes, the backs of which are turned to each other, so that one is on the left, the other on the right, and the third below them, on which stands a German sword, its hilt at the top, all in a field of blue. Raised above the helmet and crown is a golden arm holding a sword, aimed to the right. Many families in France and Britain enjoy three horseshoes in their coats of arms, differently arranged.

Dlugosz claims that all coats of arms bearing horseshoes originated in Jastrzebiec, including BELINA. Paprocki corroborates this by relating how King Boleslaw Smialy granted it to Zelislaw Jastrzebczyk. The King’s battle with Ruthenia, which he began, did not go well. Zelislaw, under cover of darkness, surprised the sentry and beat the rest of the Ruthenians who had been sound asleep. For this action, the King added two horseshoes to the one Zelislaw already had, and assigned him the sword, also.

In their retreat, the frightened Ruthenians hid in fields of “bylina” (a perennial), which is why the name given to the coat of arms is BELINA. Paprocki repeats this story in another book on heraldry, and others, like Okolski, follow suit. And yet, in a later book, which he named THE GARDEN, Paprocki rejects this tale as not supported by historical fact, and states that all of the BELINAS, in the Czech and Polish kingdoms, are descended from Bila Tetka, daughter of the Czech Prince Krok, granddaughter of Krok I, sister of Libussa, who took the crown after the death of her father, and who was so strong physically, that she wrestled a bear to death. The surname was taken from the town of Belina, where the title of count was inherited by a long line of successors.

After her death, Bila’s son, STOMIR, ascended to the throne of the Czech empire, but was overthrown by the Czech Hetman Hostywita. For a long time, he hid in Bavaria under the name, Stylfryd. The Czechs then recalled him to the throne in opposition to Prince Borzywoj. However, Stomir was again removed because he did not know, or forgot, the Slovenian language. He departed for Bavaria with costly gifts. This transpired around the year 895. See Bielski’s Czech chronicles, edited in 1563.

In his book, STROMATA, Paprocki relates still another version, which was given by the Czech historian, Waclaw Hagek: Bila, the daughter of Count Biwog, whose coat of arms bore the head of a hog, in 747, married Kossala, whose coat of arms carried three horseshoes, placed with their backs upward, two of which are side by side, and the third stands below them. In memory of his mother, her son, SUKOSLAW, founded the castle and town of BELINA about the year 879. His five sons fought a long war with the descendants of Prince Przemyslaw. STOMIR, Count of Belina, son of Sukoslaw, was called to the Czech throne in opposition to Borzywoj, the first Christian Czech monarch.

This story also is not completely wellfounded, because, if Sudoslaw were the son of Kossala, his age would come to 132 years in 879. This possibility is for the reader to judge. In addition, the Rev. Buguslaw Balbinus, S.J., states in the Czech history of Chrystanna, that this Sukoslaw was not the father but the brother of Stomir, the Count and owner of Belina. And further, that Sukoslaw or Suchoslaw rebelled against Borzywoj’s father, Hostywita, was beaten, and with his brother, Stomir, whom he had drawn into the rebellion, had to go into exile. That is why Stomir spent thirteen years in Bavaria. When the Czechs conspired against Borzywoj and overthrew him, they called Stomir to the throne, which he was forced to vacate just nine months later, for being unable to speak the Slovenian tongue and for appearing to be an uncertain Christian. Taking ten talents of silver and three of gold, Stomir returned to Bavaria. Despite these discrepancies among the historians, the basic fact stands. The name BELINA, in the Polish and Czech kingdoms, comes from the Czech town of Belina, and not from the weed, “bylina. ” Nor is Jastrzebczyk the ancestor of this coat of arms, as it is very clear from the historians mentioned, that for 300 years before King Boleslaw Smialy (who supposedly created Belina for Jastrzebczyk) lived, the Czechs boasted the three horseshoes. Balbinus mentions a family using the seal of three horseshoes in 278 AD. It is difficult to determine the cause for such a
designation made so very long ago. Paprocki’s statements in STROMATA, that the three sons of the original holder of the BELINA coat of arms agreed for the oldest of them to retain the three horseshoes; the second son to have two, as you will see in the LZAWA coat of arms; and the third son’s to look like that of JASTRZEBIEC, with one horseshoe, are without historical foundation. That is why you will find that the origins of the LZAWA and JASTRZEBIEC coat of arms will differ from his story here.

This much is certain, that the Belinas are descended from Czech princes and monarchs on the mother’s side (Bila, or Kassa, as Balbinus calls her), the daughter of Krok II, sister of Libussa, wife of Biwog, who was the son of Count Sudywoj. Some of their descendants remained on their Czech lands; others followed DABROWKA, the Czech princess, who married the Polish Prince Mieczyslaw, the first Christian monarch in Poland. For 150 years, the Belinas served Poland faithfully, thriving on knightly deeds. When King Boleslaw the Wrymouth waged a war against Prince Swentopelek of Moravia, Hetman Zelislaw Belina fought bravely and commanded wisely. However, in a violent attack by the enemy, his arm was severed. Among the honors and awards, the King sent him the gift of a hand made of gold, and at this time added the sword to the three horseshoes and, above the helmet, the arm with the sword raised, to the BELINA coat of arms, and that is how the Polish Belina differs from the Czech.

Related Families:

____ Befina, Borzymowski, Brzozowski, ____ Czechowski, ____ Falecki, ____ Goleniewski, Grocki, Gruszczynski, Gulczewski, ____ Jaszczultowski, ____ Kadlubowski, Kedzierzynski, Kraska, ____ Leszczynski, Lochowski, ____ Mlochowski, ____ Naropinski, ____ Okun, ____ Podhorecki, Porudenski, Prazmowski, ____ Skupienski, Stawski, Szczytnicki, ____ Taranowski, ____ Wagrowski, Wegierski, Wolski, ____ Zeligowski

Ancestors of This House


The descendants of Counts Suchoslaw and Stomir of Belina followed in their ancestors’ footsteps.

Count PROKOP of Belina was Commander-in-Chief in the service of Prince Bretyslaw in the war with Roman Emperor Henry III and his chief Othard, Prince of Saxony, in 1040. When defeat was in sight and the Germans stormed the Czech countryside, Bretyslaw realized that Prokop sold out for gold and had  allowed the enemy forces to freely cross the borders. He ordered Prokop’s eyes to be gouged out; his legs, arms, and head, severed; and the body drowned in the river near Belina. (Balbinus). According to Paprocki, the Czech Belinas dropped their titles and their fortunes dwindled. And yet, during the reign of King Maciej, one of them was the commander-in-chief. His descendants called themselves Zelinski from Sebuzyna.

KRZYSZTOF ZELENSKI of Sebuzyna enjoyed such esteem that Emperor Rudolf II named him Chancellor and entrusted him with the seal of the Czech kingdom. His coat-of-arms: three horseshoes on the breast of a black eagle (no sword), and half of an eagle on the helmet.

PRSZKOWSKIS are also Czech descendants from this house who now appear in Silesia and Moravia. In Boleslaw, near the grave of Saint Waclaw, numerous stone monuments are engraved with three horseshoes, an indication that the Belinas were great benefactors in this place.


The first descendant of Suchoslaw and Stomir, from among those that had migrated to Poland, both Balbinus and Paprocki record ZELISLAW BELINA in 1064, during the reign of Boleslaw Smialy (the Bold). It was his son, ZELISLAW, who fought so brilliantly for King Boleslaw the Wrymouth. He was a man of splendid courage, wit and ingenuity, great strength, experienced in military expeditions. A noteworthy achievement occurred in 1103 when, despite having lost his other hand, he triumphantly delivered bountiful spoils to the King, as well as a great number of slaves. When he died in 1120, he was the Castellan of Krakow.

BOLESLAW BELINA, known also as Boryslaw, had several sons who took other surnames. Among them was JAROSLAW, 1199.

BORYSLAW BELINA, Archbishop of Gniezno. Due to his singular attributes of moderation, piety, wisdom, dignity, stability, he was promoted from archdeacon of Poznan and canon of Gniezno, to the bishopric, succeeding Jakob Swinka. Here, the writers’ dates vary: Dlugosz claims that he was made bishop in 1304 and died in 1306; Paprocki and Okolski say he was elected in 1307 and died in 1311. Bielski also gives the year of death as 13 11. Damalewicz says that Boryslaw became archbishop in 1314, because his predecessor was alive in 1313, which he can prove with a letter that he has of that date. Belina’s confirmation was delayed due to the dissension among the Cardinals in deciding on the Pope’s successor. When John XXI confirmed him, Boryslaw presented the controversy over the actions of the Teutonic Knights for reconciliation, and also won the case begun by his predecessor about the bishop of Chelm, who broke away from Gniezno and allied himself with the archbishop of Riga. Boryslaw died in the second year of his consecration, in Avignon, where he is buried in the church of the Dominicans. There are still today Belinas in Mazowsze and Podgorze, and in Krakow from Leszczyn but, of these, I will write under Leszczynski. A Belina who marched in the assault on Pleszkowo was shot in the hand.

Translated by Josephine M. Piegzik; first appeared in the Spring 1984 issue of “Polish Genealogical Society Newsletter”.     


According to Paprocki, Okolski, and Potocki, three arrow shafts are arranged so as to form a sixpointed star in a red field. None of them describes the helmet. Rev. Rutka surmises that there were five ostrich plumes. The house is ancient. Okolski claims it arrived in Poland about 880 AD from Moravia during the reign of Prince Ziemowit.

Among the standards that had been captured by King Jagiello’s army at the Battle of Grunwald in 1410, Paprocki lists the 26th as having a shaft and arrow on red in the form of a cross. It belonged to the German gentry who had rallied to the support of the Knights of the Cross at their own expense. The 49th banner captured, which was similar with a white shaft and arrow in a red field, belonged to the commanders and Gniewski castle.

Families enjoying this coat-of-arms are: CHOCHOROWSKI, GRANIEWSKI, POZORZYCKI and SNIECHOWSKI. The Pozorzyckis, whether thru error or merit, also carry a moon under the shafts.

Translated by Josephine M. Piegzik; first appeared in the Fall 1984 issue of “Polish Genealogical Society Newsletter”.


The shield is divided in half.  A ram with horns stands on its hind legs in a field of red on one side, its forelegs and head raised, facing a griffin with green wings on a white field, on the other side of the shield. The animals also stand on the crown above the helmet. A banner with his coat-of-arms can be seen hanging in the great Kwidzynski church. Inscribed on it is: “Pettus BEHM Regni Poloniae Civis.”

Wieladek notes that a KAROL BEHM was Canon of Gniezno about 1784. Kuropatnicki lists a WINCENTY BEHM in Galicia on 17 September 1782, who may be related to the Bem family of Kraków where JEDRZEJ BEM, who may have been a judge, was married to Agnieszka Goluchowska, and after her death, to Maryanna Ostafinska, who bore a son, Joseph, in 1795. This Jozef distinguished himself in battle as General of the Artillery.

Translated by Josephine M. Piegzik; first appeared in the Fall 1984 issue of “Polish Genealogical Society Newsletter”.


Three yellow wheels are arranged in a field of red, with two above the one in the middle. Three peacock feathers stand above the crowned helmet. Many families in Europe have wheels in their coats-of-arms. Some have one; others, four. I have not seen any with three. Our writers state that this coat-of-arms came from Germany, as the name Berszten would indicate, but none gives the period of its arrival. To the two families that they list, KARNIOWSKI and WIERZCHLEJSKI, I add GASZYNSKI. These latter two have changed the form somewhat, to BERSZTEN II Coat-of-Arms. Two wheels are arranged as on the coat-of-arms above, in the same colors. However, instead of a third wheel, there is a picket fence, like that surrounding a fortress. Two wings in flight formation are above the helmet.

My guess is that this change occurred in 1563 during the reign of Zygmunt August, when Prince Ivan Wasilewicz of Moscow lay siege to Polock. Many quickly turned themselves over to the enemy, but WIERZCHLEJSKI, Captain of the Polish cavalry, resisted bravely for a long time before surrendering after extensive negotiations. Out of gratitude and admiration for his courage, the enemy feasted Wierzchlejski and his Poles, presented them with gifts, and set them free. I surmise that Wierzchlejski received the change in his coat-of-arms upon his return to the King.

Translated by Josephine M. Piegzik; first appeared in the Fall 1984 issue of “Polish Genealogical Society Newsletter”.


Neither Paprocki nor Okolski wrote about this coat of arms. There are two plow wheels, as in the first Berszten coat of arms.  Instead of the third wheel there is a fence similar to those found at fortifications.  There are two wings above the helmet, back to back and raised up in flight. The change
was made here in Poland during the time of Zygmunt August in 1563. When Iwan Wasilewicz, Prince of Moscow laid seige to Polock, some were frightened by the shooting and the pressure and surrendered
to the Czar. Wierzcheleski, the Polish captain from Sleza and of the coat of arms of Berszten bravely and at length resisted the enemy’s force. After being exhausted and running out of ammunition they gave
the city over to the Czar. Those who were the first to leave the city were imprisoned despite the promise that this would not happen. Wierzcheleski and his men however were generously pardoned and set free.  (Bielski page 613). Wierzcheleski, upon returning to the king, it is thought, received
the change in the coat of arms.

Translated by Josephine M. Piegzik and Jonathan Shea; first appeared in the Spring 1985 issue of “Polish Genealogical Society Newsletter”.


According to the MS on the Prussian families, the shield is divided into four parts. On the right quadrant, upper level, a goat rises on its hindlegs with forelegs facing to the right. On the left, there is a common Polish eagle. On the lower level, an identical Polish eagle is on the right side, and a goat on the left. Above the helmet and crown, the Polish eagle wears a crown. The MS claims that the goat is derived from a crest of Hungarian family of Katarzyna Bephot, the great-grandmother of Stefan Batory, the King of Poland. This King had conferred honorary citizenship upon MARCIN BERZEWICZ, the Chancellor of Siedmiogrodz, for meritorious services. The King also granted Marcin the counties, Starogardzkie and Osieckie, and added the Polish eagle to his coat of arms. BERZEWICZ married Dabrowska from Wojanowo. Their son, JAN, married Dorota Kryska. Since they only had a daughter, Anna, the family line soon ended. Jan died in Lissowo in 1646.

Translated by Josephine M. Piegzik and Jonathan Shea; first appeared in the Spring 1985 issue of “Polish Genealogical Society Newsletter”.


A right arm, encased in armor, facing right, holds rosary beads in its hand. Above the helmet and crown, the upper half of a man is seen, hair and beard of medium length, without a cap, hands folded at chest level as in prayer, holding a rosary, with face turned to the right.

Bielski states in folio 507, that the name in German is Bethmany (praying to God), which merely indicates its place of origin, but not its beginnings. The family settled in Krakow and soon allied itself with families of prominence. King Zygmunt held SEWERYN BETHMAN in high esteem. When a fire had broken out in the salt mines of Wieliczka, SEWERYN, at age 90 together with Zupnik of Koscielce, courageously descended into the mine and doused the flames. He died in 1515 at age 95. His son Seweryn, preceded his father to the grave. His daughter, Zofia, married Han Boner, Castellan of Sacz. Their daughter, Zofia, married Jan Firlej, the voivode of Krakow.

Translated by Josephine M. Piegzik and Jonathan Shea; first appeared in the Spring 1985 issue of “Polish Genealogical Society Newsletter”.