Słownik Geograficzny Towns and Villages (D)

    Current administrative location: Dąbrowa Biskupia, Gmina Dąbrowa Biskupia, Powiat Inowrocław, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland. Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Louisenfelde, Kreis Inowroclaw, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich.
    Dąbrowa, German name: Louisenfelde, is a village located in powiat Inowrocław. Dąbrowa has 70 houses with 614 inhabitants (480 Evangelical Protestants and 134 Catholics). There are 144 inhabitants that are illiterate.The post office and railway station are located 20 kilometers away in Gniewkowo. The entry did not list the parish information. Both the Brudnia Parish and the Chlewiska Parish are located about 2 miles from Dąbrowa Biskupia.
    Translated by Al Wierzba, November 2009

    Current administrative location: Dąbrówka, Gmina Lelis, Powiat Ostrołęka, Województwo Mazowieckie, Poland. Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Dąbrówka, Powiat Ostrołęka, Gubernia Łomża, Vistula Land, Russian Empire.
    A governmental village located along the Szkwa River. Dąbrówka belongs to gmina Nasiadki, powiat Ostrołęka, and the Kadzidło Parish. There is a chapel in Dąbrówka. In 1827, there were 40 homes with 227 inhabitants. Presently, Dąbrówka has a land area of 1202 morgs. Amber mines can be found here and throughout the area.
    Translated by Al Wierzba, July 2010

Dąbrówka Szubin County
    Dabrówka pod Barcinem, a manor in Szubin county; covers 1,788 inorgas [a morga or mórg ranges between some 26 to 56 sq. km. in this case probably 26 sq. km.]; post office in Barcin, 4 km. away; railway station 15 km. away in Broniewice (Amsee).
    Submitted by: This translation, by William F. Hoffman, first appeared in the Summer 1996 issue of “Bulletin of the Polish Genealogical Society of America”. (Nov 1998)

    A town located on the river Wisloka, in Ropczyce county [powiat], it has an area of 1,232 m. There are 286 houses, 1,307 male inhabitants and 1,452 female, for a total of 2,759, of whom 450 are Catholic and 2,309 Jewish. It is the site of the county court, a military police post, a notary’s office, a post office and telegraph office. There is a Latin-rite parish in the town, belonging to the Ropczyce deanery. The parish church is of stone, built in 1318 and at some unknown point dedicated to Sts. Jadwiga and Malgorzata [Margaret]. There is a Jewish “kahal” [community, assembly of elders] and a synagogue. There is a paupers’ fund for support of the poor, but it is not known by whom it was founded, when, and on what authority. The property which is the source of the fund’s capital consists of 6 morgs of land and 3,000 Rhenish zlotys in bonds. There is a 4-grade public school. One doctor, two surgeons, and a pharmacist. The municipal gmina [township, administrative district] has only 3,000 Rhenish zlotys of assets. Debica lies on the Vienna governmental highway, and is also a departure point for a national road to Tarnobrzeg and Nabrzezie. In the town is one of the more important stations of the Karol Ludwig railway (111 km. from Krakow) with extensive buildings and storehouses and a rather pretty passenger station. Industrial plants in Debica are: a steam mill, steam sawmill, match factory, soap-works, glass-works and alcohol distillery. There is brisk commercial activity, particularly the transportation of goods by rail. The populace supports itself primarily by industry and trade. Despite such advantageous economic conditions, the town is poor; it has only a few nice brick houses, the rest are squalid mud huts, occupied by the poor Jewish population. The manorial tract belongs to the Debica demesne, property of the Counts Raczynski, the central point being the palace in Zawada, 4 km. from Debica.
    Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGS-T Polish Footprints November 1997, and appears here with express permission of the PGST.

    In German, Eichfelde. Near Obodowo, it is mentioned as a colony, about 1 mile from Waldowo near Sepolno krajenskie, 997.27 morgs in size. In 1868 there were 48 houses, 109 buildings, 322 inhabitants of whom 249 were Lutheran and 69 Catholic.
    Submitted & translated by Gerald R. Schmidt, Pittsburgh, PA

    Dewergi (Polish Dziewiergi) is a peasant village in Oszmiana powiat, within the gmina and treasury estate of Bakszty (9.6 km. away). In 1865 it had 109 inhabitants, according to the census.
    Translated by Michael Gansecki, PGSA August 2000 Rodziny. Used with permission.

Długi Kąt
    Current administrative location: Długi Kąt, Gmina Lelis, Powiat Ostrołęka, Województwo Mazowieckie, Poland. Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Długi Kąt, Powiat Ostrołęka, Gubernia Łomża, Vistula Land, Russian Empire. A village located near the Rozoga River in gmina Nasiadki, powiat Ostrołęka. Długi Kąt belongs to the Kadzidło Parish. Długi Kąt lies on the edge of the forest wilderness of powiat Ostrołęka. In 1827, there were 33 homes with 137 inhabitants. Presently, Długi Kąt has a land area of 1384 morgs.
    Translated by Al Wierzba, July 2010

    In the county of Nowy Targ, the village is located on the south bank of Czarny Dunajec. It borders the villages of Krauszow on the east, Dzial on the north, Czarny Dunajec on the south and Wroblowka on the west. It also borders the village of Rogoznik on the south where the Czarny stream flows. It is 8 kilometers from Nowy Targ, and belongs to Ludzmierz parish 3 kilometers away.
    In 1869 the village had 90 houses, 451 people. In 1880, the diocese of Tarnow counted 399 catholics. In 1777, there were 56 houses and 274 people. In 1799, 74 houses and 342 people, and in 1829, 77 houses and 385 people.
    The small cultivated land contains 808 morgs in oats, fields and gardens 156, fertile pastures 284 and forests 25. The owner of the village is Leona Bzowska.
    The average height of the village is 630 meters. It has a water powered sawmill. A small chapel under the name of St. Florian, patron saint of fire, was erected in the 18th century. The chapel was built after the village was destroyed by fire. Priests from Ludzmierz have mass on St. Florian’s day.
    Submitted by: Translated by Rose Szczech (Jan 1998).

    A village on the river Dzialdowka, Mlawa powiat, Zielun gmina, Dlutowo parish. It has a wooden parish church, a chapel, and a windmill; the church is said to have been built in 1785. In 1827 there were 42 houses and 301 inhabitants in Dlutowo; at present [i.e., when the Slownik was compiled] it has 56 houses, 52 buildings, and 614 inhabitants. The Dlutowo estate consists of the villages of Wawrowo, Konopaty, Zielun, and Ruda; it has a surface area of 6,203 mÑrgs, including 2,385 of farmland and 1,182 of land belonging to the peasants. Dlutowo parish, of Mlawa deanery, numbers 2,088 souls.
    Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Spring 1998 Bulletin.

    Dobczyce, a small town in what was then Galicia, is located 49° 11′ latitude, and 37° 9′ latitude, from Fero. It lies in the county of Wieliczka,and covered 1,973 morgen of land. There were 500 houses, with 1359 men and 1455 women, in total 2814 inhabitants. Of these 2686 were Roman Catholics, 119 were Jews, and 9 were of other denominations. It was the seat of the county court, had a notary public, a military outpost, a post and telegraph office. It was also the home of the deanery office overseeing 10 parishes, plus the local one. The parish in Dobczyce was organized in 1225, and its church was built by Iwon Odrowąz, the Bishop of Kraków. In later years, a second church was constructed around 1590 by Sebastian Lubomirski, a nobleman who was also the sheriff of Dobczyce. This church was closed in 1790, after its ruination. The present existing church was dedicated to St. John the Baptist, and was erected between 1828 and 1834. It was dedicated and blessed by Bishop Pukalski of Tarnów, in 1854. A home for the poor was established in 1766, but it was consumed by fire in 1863. The town then converted a private home to house the five poor residents. The public school had three classrooms, with three teachers. The town had a doctor, a surgeon, and a pharmacy. The town itself had a rather small treasury, with a capital of only 3515 złoty, although in 1878 the income was counted as 6486 złoty.
    Dobczyce lies on the river Raba, along the highway which leads to Vienna. The population was prosperous, and derived its income from farming and other industries, such as making pottery, clothing, shoemaking and the weaving of baskets. On the grounds of the local manor house stood an American style water mill as well as a saw mill.
    Dobczyce has a splendid and interesting history. In 1340, King Kazimierz (Casimir, the Great) exempted the town from paying taxes, and in 1367 granted them a governing charter, according to the German method. In 1365, a provincial teutonic court was established in Dobczyce which included several other towns. The local magistrate selected aldermen from these towns, who were sent to Kraków courts to settle legal claims. During the reign of Kazimierz Jagiellończyk 1447-1492, his son, Kazimierz II was called to the throne of Hungary at the age of 13. This arrangement did not work out. The young Kazimierz returned to Poland in 1472. At the command of his uncle, he spent some time living in the local palace in Dobczyce.
    The Polish historian Długosz also lived here for many years. Jan of Dobczyce, a member of the Bernardine Fathers Order, also was born here in 1481. He is the author of Opusculum de arte memorativa a. 1504, Cracoviae editum. Another native of Dobczyce was Andrzej Gałka, the pastor of St. Florian’s church in Kraków, a famous Polish grammarian and follower of the teachings of Wycliffe, a religious reformer. King Jan Olbracht, noticing the loyalty and steadfastness of the local residents, granted them many privileges in 1494.
    An ancient palace which stood on a local hill beyond the town was totally destroyed in the 18th century during the Swedish invasion by Karl XII, the King of Sweden. Only small remnants of its former grandeur exist.
    Translated by Helen Bienick of the PGS-CA

    Dołęga is a small village in the county of Brzesko, about 23 kilometers north of the town of Brzesko itself. It lies on the right bank of the river Uszwica. It is 5.3 kilometers from Szczurowa, where the post office and Catholic Church are located. There were 134 houses, and 728 inhabitants. The major estate occupies 298 morgen of farmland, 67 morgen of gardens and meadows, 27 morgen of pastures and 154 morgen of forests. The minor estate covers 418 morgen of farmland, 162 morgen of gardens and meadows, and 143 morgen of pastureland. The village had a lending bank with a capital of 532 złotys.
    Translated by Helen Bienick of the PGS-CA

    1) Domaradz, or Domaradzow, with Plosina, Katy, Krzywe, Zatyle, and Poremby, a village in Brzozow powiat, on the Brzozowka, a tributary of the Wislok (Stobnica?), at 49 degrees 48′ north, 39 degreees 37 east from Ferro [would be about 21 degrees 57′ by the coordinates used as standard today], 13 km. northwest of Brzozow, 6 km. north of the post office in Jasienica. There is a Roman Catholic parish in the village, a Greek Catholic parish in Izdebki. There are 495 houses in Domaradz along with Plosina, Katy and Zatyle, and 2,653 inhabitants. The major estate covers 276 mÑrgs of farmland, 54 of meadows and gardens, 32 of pastures, and 444 of forests; the minor estate has 2,523 morgs of farmland, 388 of meadows and gardens, 242 of pastures, and 344 of forests. In the village there is a 1-class state school, a savings society with a capital of 300 Rhenish zl., and a large brewing factory. The major estate belongs to the Latin bishops [Latin-rite or Roman Catholic, as opposed to Greek Catholic] of Przemysl. The pedagogue Maksymilian Lyszkowski was born in Domaradz. The first trace of the founding of a parish here is in records from 1510; Jan Dziaduski, Bishop of Przemysl, renewed its funding in 1545; whereas in 1542 Stanislaw Tarlo consecrated the church, under the patronage of St. Mikolaj, Bishop; but that church, as best we can judge, is not the same as the one existing today. In 1523 Jan Krzysztof Szembek, Bishop of Przemysl, incorporated the benefice in Domaradz into the collegiate chapter in Brzozow. There are 2,452 Catholics in the parish, 45 Jews.
    2) A village in Brzozów county. In 1589 it was the property of the bishops of Przemysl, and had 30 lan’s, 3 zagroda’s, 9 tenant farmers, and a mill. It is mentioned in a document from 1396. See Lutcza.
    Translated by William F. Hoffman, Winter 1999 Bulletin

    A village in Gorlice powiat, served by the Roman Catholic parish in Kobylanka, 5.6 km. from Gorlice. The manor grounds have 163 morgs of farmland, 14 of meadows, 6 of pasturage, 389 of woods. The peasants have 828 morgs of farmland (oat soil [? — “gleba owsiana”], 177 of meadows, 65 of pasturage, 62 of woods. It has 159 houses, 1,004 inhabitants, Roman Catholics. The demesne belongs to the Kobylanka estate, which is the property of Aleksander Skrzyn~ski. Oil is said to have been discovered on the grounds of Dominikowice.
    Submitted by: William F. Hoffman (Nov 1997)

    Dorohusk, also known as Dorohowsk, Drochiczyn Chełmski, a village with a manor house, is a village in the county of Chełm, district of Turka, with the parish in Dorohusk. It is located 2 miles from Włodawa, on the left bank of the Bug River, 21 verst from Chełm, 14 werst from Dubienki, and about 98 verst from Lublin. The old palace with a very spacious and vast basement was constructed by the Suchodolski nobles, of whom one named Wojciech was the standard bearer of Chełm. Dorohusk remained as the property of this family even in the late 1800s, when it passed on to Ludwik Okecki, after his marriage to a Suchodolski heiress.
    The village of Dorohusk had a parish church and a home for the elderly and the disabled. In 1827, there were 90 houses with 644 inhabitants. The local railroad station is 249 werst from Warsaw and 65 werst from Kowal.
    The parish belonged to the deanery of Chełm, which numbered 700 souls. The estates of Dorohusk consisted of the following villages and towns: the folwark of Dorohusk, Teosin, Zaliszcze, Długie Pole, Leśniczówka, Katy, Piasek, Istrów, KONOTOPY, Puszki, and Pogranicze, as well as the villages of Dorohusk, Skoedjów, Mieszkowice, Barbarowina, Ostrów, Michałowin, Turka, and Berdyszcze. The Dorohusk farmstead covered 3061 morgen of land, of which 470 morgen were fertile farms and gardens, 400 morgen of meados, 200 morgen of pastures, 8 morgen of water, 1800 morgen of forests and 183 morgen of unused land. There were 9 brick buildings and 28 built of wood. A second untaxed farmstead covered 2763 morgen of land with a water mill. The Bug River formed its boundary on the north.
    Dorohusk itself had 65 farm settlements on 1106 morgen of land; Skordjów-Ostrów had 12 settlements on 69 morgen of land; and Mieszkowice had 10 settlements on 208 morgen of land. The village of Barbarowina had 22 settlements on 355 morgen of land; Ostrów village had 41 settlements on 582 morgen of land; Michałowin had 31 settlements on 1273 morgen of land; and the village of Bardyszcze had 11 settlements of 181 morgen of land.
    Translated by Helen Bienick of the PGS-CA

    A village in Tarnopol county, residing on a little no-name river, which the first arm has its source on the land in Great Chodaczkow, the second north-west arm starts on the lands in Domamorycz. These arms link in Poczapince and go from west to east, crossing Draganowka and proceeds one mile further east near the village of Buczniow, ending into the Seret river.
    It is situated 4.4 miles southwest of Tarnopol; it is situated in the fertile, but cold, part of Galician Podole between the Styrpa and Seret rivers. Area (in acres): Large estates: 1778 i soils, 54 in meadows and gardens, 36 in pastures, 183 in forests. Smaller estates: 2543 in soils, 141 in meadows and gardens, 165 in pastures.
    People: Roman-Catholics = 1191, Greek-Catholics = 244, Jewish = 15, total = 1450. There are two Latin parishes here. They were founded in 1852 by the Draganowka and Poczapince villages, Maryanna Drohojowskis Sobolewska and the religious capital (Vienna). The brick church, Virgin Mary, was consecrated in 1872. The Patron of these is the Austrian Emperor in his title as head of the religious capital. Aside from Draganowka, the parish includes the village of Poczapince with 774 Roman-Catholics. Total Catholics in the whole parish – 1965, Jewish – 25. Parish belongs to Trembowla decanate. Greek-Catholic parish belongs to Tarnopol decanate with branch in Poczapince.
    In this village there is a school with 1 teacher and the loan-society with 1468 zlr.w.a. (currency ?). The largest landowner is Stanislaw Garapich.
    Translated by Kyzysztof Barcikowkis (Katowice, Poland) and Frederick Siegle (Churchville, Pa)

A village on the lake of the same name, in Szczuczyn powiat, Pruska gmina, Barglowo parish, with 994 morgs of land. In 1827 Drestwo had 38 houses, 288 inhabitants. Drestwo, Rybczyzna or Woznowiejskie, a lake in Szczuczyn powiat, northeast of Rajgród, stretches 7.5 km. from southwest to northeast, between the villages of Wozna wies and Rybczyzna, goes around the village of Drestwo, touches the grounds of Rajgród and of the villages of Barszcze and Solistówka to the north. Its area is 180 morgs, and its banks are primarily wooded and boggy. The river Jegrznia flows through it and connects Lake Drestwo to Lake Rajgrodzkie. – Br. Ch. [Bronislaw Chleboski]
    Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Winter 1998 Bulletin.

    1) In German, Drausnitz. A knightly village in the county of Chojnice. In size: 3684 morgs. It has 22 buildings and 7 dwellings, 102 Catholics and 69 Lutherans. parish of Kamien krajenski.
    2) In German, Drausnitz. A peasant village in the county of Chojnice. In area 2930 morgs. 103 buildings, 40 dwellings, 155 Catholics and 190 Lutherans. parish of Kamien krajenski.
    Submitted & translated by Gerald R. Schmidt, Pittsburgh, PA

    A peasant village in Chojnice county. Parish and post office in Brusy. School in Cyckowy. Size: 5 150 morgs. 17 buildings, 7 dwelling houses. 71 Catholics, 7 Lutherans.
    Submitted & translated by Gerald R. Schmidt, Pittsburgh, PA

    Dubin, once known as Dupin, is located in the county of Krobia, on the river called Orła, which flows from Wasarz to Barycz, and runs along the same direction as the Odra river. The terrain is flat and even, and the soil is very fertile. On the east and the northeast, was the border of Szląsk (Silesia). In 1871 there were 84 houses, 630 in¬habitants, 33 Evangelicals, 587 Catholics, and 60 illiterate people. Dubin belonged to the administrative district of Jutrosin, and the circuit court in Rawicz. The Catholic church was part of the deanery of Jutrosin. There was an elementary school in the village. The majority of the people were engaged in farming. There was a distillery, a postal agency, a high road ran through the town, with the railroad station in Jutrosin, about four kilometers away. Dubin is an old town, which was already mentioned in the 13th century. Katarzyna (Katherine) Zginalska, a noblewoman who owned the town, built the parish church in 1445. After that church burned, Barbara Jastrzębska, whose coat of arms was called “Zaręba”, built a new church in the 16th century. In the 18th century, Dubin was the property of the Zakrzewski noblemen. In the walls surrounding the church was a monument / tombstone of Piotr (Peter) Jastrzębski who died in 1613. This monument was once in the church itself. There are also four portraits of the Jastrzębskis found in the church. The holdings of Dubin were once the property of Adam Czartoryski, who also owned the town of Rokoszowo, in total 13,670 morgen of land.
        Excerpt from „Small Historical Descriptions of Parishes in the Old Diocese of Poznań”, Volume 2, pages, 97-99, Written by Joseph Lukasiewicz
    The small town of Dupin, on the Orła river, during the 16th and 17th centuries, was the property of the Jastrzębski noble family from Wielkopolska (Greater Poland). Their coat of arms was “Zaręba”. In the 18th century, the town belonged to the Zakrzewski and Kozminski families. The church was erected in 1445, by the town owner, who at that time was Katarzyna (Katherine) Zginalska. The particulars of its beginning were described in the Bishop’s records as of March 7th, 1445 and in the church consistory books of December 17, 1649. The wooden church funded by Zginalska stood until the late 16th century. It may have burned down, or fallen into ruins. Barbara Sielec Jastrzębski built a new church, an event that was noted duly by the visit of bishop Wolski in 1667. His report states that “In Dupin now stands the church of Sw. Mikołaj (St. Nicholas) blessed and dedicated by the suffragan Bishop of Poznan, Jan Baykowski, on October 28, 1630.” The report states, that this church was built about 1600 by Barbara Jastrzębska. In the 15th century, Dupin was the property of the Zakrzewski family. The archives in Poland, state that Peter Zakrzewski was the owner of a part of Dupin and the village of Osieczek (now Osiek). A sandstone monument was found in the church, bearing an inscription in Latin, “In memory of General Petrus (Peter) Jastrzębski, of the Polish Legions, who died at the age of 33, September 3, 1613. It is built with the tears and sad¬ness of his wife, Sophia Sielec Jastrzębska.” Later, when the church was being repaired, this monument was transferred to the cemetery walls and unfortunately exposed to the elements and vandalism, as often happens. Besides this monument, are also found four portraits, without names, who surely were members of Jastrzębski family. The Jastrzębski family left many monuments in the family honor, but alas, many were discarded or destroyed in future renovations. At the beginning of the 17th century, the church had three altars, one of which was donated by Barbara Jastrzębska in 1612, and one gifted by the Rosary Society about 1616. The church was supported by the endowment of a large field in 1667, and the offerings of farm-grown items, by the parishioners. The metrical books and archival records date back to 1709. Those prior to this year are lost. The endowments of building the altars by the above mentioned were confirmed by the Provincial Dominicans, Idzi Trebnie, in 1634 and by Jan Dionisius Mosinski in 1641.
The first notation of the existence of a school in Dupin appears in the Consistory records and Archives, as stated by Bishop Wolski in his pastoral visit in 1667. He wrote “The rector of the school is the famous Gregory Lentwinski, whom the pastor employs, and pays with a measure of the proceeds from the large fields endowed to him. This teacher collected grain and oats as a salary, along with the tuition paid by the students. Just before 1667, the town suffered a disastrous fire, and the schoolhouse burned. It is hard to determine if it ever was rebuilt. According to the account of Bishop Wolski, during his visit in 1667, a hospital stood near the newly constructed church. It too perished in the same fire that consumed the school. The hospital was financed and built by the income generated from two fields and two meadows. It too, was still not rebuilt, as noted in 1667.
    Translated by Helen Bienick of the PGS-CA

    Duczymin koscielny and Duczymin-nowa-wies, a village in Przasnysz county, Bugzy Ploskie gmina, Krzynowloga parish. It has a branch church of that parish built by Antoni Zieliƒski. In 1827 there were 23 houses there and 141 inhabitants. The manorial farmstead of Duczymin koscielny, along with the villages of D. Koscielny, Rapaty, and Gajka or Zielony Bor, are 119 km. from Plock, 30 km. from Przasnysz, 5 km. from Chorzele, and 52 km. from the river Dzialdowka in Strzegowo. Its area totals 853 morgs, to wit, 351 of farmland and gardens, 118 of meadows, 58 of pastureland, 314 of forests, and 12 of unused land and public squares. There are 13 wooding buildings.
    The villages of Duczymin koscielny, Rapaty, and Gajka, or Zielony Bor, have a total of 31 settlements, with 348 morgs of land. The manorial farmstead of Duczymin-Nowawies with the village of Duczymin Nowa wies and Jedlinka is 127 km. from Plock, 33 from Przasnysz, 7.5 from Chorzele, 30 from Mlawa. Its area totals 1,115 morgs, to wit, 337 of farmland and gardens, 88 of meadows, 22 of pastureland, 652 of forests, 5 of undergrowth, and 12 of unused land and public squares. There are 6 stone buildings and 12 wooden ones. The border is about half a kilometer away. In some localities there are deposits of peat, ore, and brown coal. The river Orzyc flows through the territory.
The village of Duczymin Nowa wies has 48 settlements, 272 morgs of land. The colony of Jedlinka has 18 settlements and 205 morgs of land.
    Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Winter 2003 Bulletin.

Dulcza Mala

    A village in Mielec county, about 18 kilometers south west of Mielec, about 7 kilometers north west of the post office and Roman Catholic parish in Radomysl Wlk. There are 205 houses, 1106 residents. The major estate consists of tillable fields 416, meadow and gardens 52, pasture 26, forest 994 mor.; the minor estate has tillable fields 1563, meadow and gardens 162, pasture 327, forest 50 mr. In the village is a one class school and a common brick kiln. The owner of the major estate is Count Bobrowski.
    Submitted and translated by James Czuchra, Chicago, IL. Jan 2001

Dulcza Wielka
    Dulcza Wielka, with Wola dulecka, a village in Pilzno county, about 25 kilometers north of Pilzno, about 4.5 kilometers from the post office in Radomysl Wlk. The Roman Catholic parish is in Zdziarzec. There are 286 houses, 1523 residents. The major estate has tillable fields 474, meadow and gardens 119, pasture 64, forest 1356 mr. The minor estate has tillable fields 1768, meadow and gardens 281, pasture 126, forest 8 mr. In the village is a one class school. The owner of the major estate is the Count Raczynski family of Debica.
    Submitted and translated by James Czuchra, Chicago, IL. Jan.2001

Duleczka Wolka
    Duleczka Wolka, a village in the Mielec county, about 16 kilometers southwest of Mielec, towards Radomysl Wlk. The Roman Catholic parish and post office are in Radomysl Wlk. There are 62 houses, 386 residents; the major estate consists of tillable fields 14, meadow and gardens 2, pasture 2, forest 65 mor.; the minor estate has tillable fields 340, meadow and gardens 27, pasture 31, forest 1 m. The owner of the major estate is the Count Raczynski family.
    Submitted and translated by James Czuchra, Chicago, IL. Jan.2001

    Current administrative location: Dulsk, Gmina Inowrocław, Powiat Inowrocław, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland. Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Dulsk, Kreis Inowroclaw, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich. A dominium located in powiat Inowrocław, near Goplana. The Dulsk dominium has an area of land equal to 1302 morgs. Dulsk has 5 houses with 116 inhabitants (all Catholics). There are 53 inhabitants that are illiterate. The post office and railway station are located about 7 kilometers away in Inowrocław. Dulsk is owned by the Kozłowski family. From 1315 and through the next few centuries, Dulsk was owned by the Benedictine monastery in Strzelno. The entry did not list the village’s parish. The Góra Parish is located about 1 kilometers away.
    Translated by Al Wierzba, December 2009

    A village in the parish and rural district of Kopciowo, Sejny County. It is located 28 versts from Sejny and has 6 houses and 86 residents.
    Translated by Dorothy Leivers, Hadlow, Kent, England (May 2004)

    Current administrative location: Durlasy, Gmina Lelis, Powiat Ostrołęka, Województwo Mazowieckie, Poland. Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Durlasy, Powiat Ostrołęka, Gubernia Łomża, Vistula Land, Russian Empire.
    A Kurpie village located in gmina Nasiadki, powiat Ostrołęka. Nasiadki belongs to the Ostrołęka Parish. Durlasy is a distance of 8 verst from the gmina office located in the village of Tatary. In 1752, King August III granted the village peasants the privilege of freedom from serfdom. The amount of rent was then determined to be 114 Polish złoty. In 1765, the starostwa (the counties governor) of Ostrołęka county performed inspections that found 4 landlords were paying, in addition to paying rent above, 6 Polish złoty in taxes for the inns within the agricultural portion of the village. From 1799, the village paid 12 Polish złoty to maintain the Pułtusk seminary. From this year, the village began to pay taxes for Ostrołęka county’s economy.
    In 1820, there were 17 landlords in Durlasy’s farm and forest areas. Presently, there are 22 homes with 104 men and 107 women inhabitants. Durlasy has 1038 morgs of land, of that 320 morgs are arable farm land. In 1827, there were 16 homes with 125 inhabitants.
    Translated by Al Wierzba, July 2010

    A village, Ostroleka powiat, Dylewo gmina, Kadzidlo parish.  In 1827 there were 35 houses there and 210 inhabitants; it currently has 1,362 morgs of land.
    Submitted by: This translation, by William F. Hoffman, first appeared in the November 1998 issue of “Bulletin of the PGSA”. (Nov 1998)

    A village, and Dylewo Dwor, folwark, Ostroleka powiat, Dylewo gmina, Kadzidlo parish.  The gmina< office is here. In 1827 54 houses were counted here and 294 inhabitants; it currently covers 1,334 morgs. Dylewo gmina has a population of 5,263, covering 18,611 morgs, and the gmina court, district I, is in Kadzidlo, 6 wiorstas away; the post office is in Ostroleka, 13 wiorstas away. The gmina includes: Chudek, Czarnostrzew, Dylewo-nowe, D.-stare, Gleba, Jeglewiec, Kadzidlo, Kamienowizna, Karaska, Kierzek, Kuczynskie, Lodziska, Obierwia, Olszewka, Piasecznia, Siarki, Strzalki, Szafarnia, Szarczalaka, and Szwedrowy Most, all peasant villages. The rural people (namely in Dylewo) produce linen [or "cloth"].     Submitted by: This translation, by William F. Hoffman, first appeared in the Winter 1996-1997 issue of "Bulletin of the Polish Genealogical Society of America". (Mar 1999) Dzial
    In the district of Podhale, the villge belongs to the parish in Odrowaz. It lies near the stream Piekielnik, 500 m to the north and 9 km from Nowy Targ straight to the west. The Odrowaz parish is 4 km east. The village borders on the east with Morawczyna, on the south with Dlugopole, on the west with Czarny Dunajec and from the northwest with Pieniazkowice. The stream Piekielnik cuts through the south section of the territory flowing from the hill Zadkowka 658 m in elevation. There is no large portion of land and the smaller land sections total 540 Austrian morg of farm land, 146 morg of fields and gardens, 156 morg of pastures, 11 morg of forests.
    There were 97 houses, and 432 people. According to Tarnow Archdiocese in 1880, there were 620 Roman Catholic Souls. In 1777 there were 53 houses and 259 people; in 1797; 71 houses and 381 people; in 1824, 76 houses and 368 people. Documents from 1636 state there were 8 woodcutters, 1 hut owner and 8 were landless.
    There also was a local administrator (soltys). In 1628 the soltys was Krzysztof Dzielski. According to a 1765 document, there were 8 portions of farms; all taxes were 781 zloty 21 groszy. At that time the local administrators were Maciej and Andrzej Dzielski, who were in favor with August III from 3 February 1749.
    Submitted and Translated by: Rose Szczech (Apr 1998)

    German Soldau, a town in Niborsk powiat [now called “Nidzica, ” in German “Kreis Neidenburg”], East Prussia, in a marshy area which took its name from the town, on the highway to Lidzbark, Nibork and DabrÑwno. It is a little more than 3 1/2 km. from the [border of the] Congress Kingdom, 15 km. from Nibork. It has a fortified castle that was established in 1306 by the Teutonic Knights. The town was built in 1349, and at the time of its establishment possessed an area of 30 wlokas, in addition to other, smaller properties.
    Dzialdowo, along with the entire region, has been populated since time immemorial. One still comes across numerous pagan burial sites. Until quite recently one could see burial mounds in almost every village; called Capornen (?) in German, they reached a height of four meters. In the nearby village of Koszelewki (in German Klein Koschlau) 15 stone circles (Steinrundberge) were found, within which there were numerous burial urns. The Teutonic Knights’ wojts (German Vogte) who administered the area had their seats at the the castle. In addition to Dzialdowo and the castle and folwark, their jurisdiction included: 111 feudal estates, 66 of them established on terms of Chelmno law (Kùlmische Dienste) and 34 Old Prussian; 11 German villages with 690 rental wlokas, no Prussian villages; two mills paying a rent of 210 bushels of rye; and 11 rural parsonages.
    Dzialdowo suffered a great deal during the wars, first during that of the Teutonic Knights and Lithuanians in 1377. In 1409 it was burned down by the Lithuanians. A year later, after the victory at Grunnwald, it was given by Wladyslaw Jagiello to the Mazovian prince Ziemowit; soon after it was won back by the Knights. In 1454 when all of Prussia joined with Poland as its fatherland, the local inhabitants expelled the Knights manning the castle and surrendered to Poland. In 1455 the Teutonic Knights regained the castle. Then Jan Koldaczek of Jagiello’s army, having invented for himself the title of Elblag Commander of the Knights, entered Dzialdowo, took the castle, and burned down the city. The Swedish King Karl Gustav had his headquarters in Dzialdowo in 1656. In 1737 and 1748 Dzialdowo again experienced heavy damage due to fires.
    At present Dzialdowo has about 3,000 inhabitants, and has a Lutheran church taken from the Catholics during the Reformation, as well as, a post office, and a telegraph station. The Knights’ castle is still fairly well preserved. In 1701 King Friedrich gave the castle chapel to the local Protestant congregation for their use. From the very beginning of the Reformation, Catholics were deprived of services. It was not until 1858 that a mission station was founded there, which by 20 January 1860 had already been named as a separate parish. The newly-built church was consecrated by the Chelmno bishop at the time, Jan Nepomucen Marwicz, on 17 August 1862; he gave it the name of St. Wojciech [in German or English “Albert” or “Adalbert”]. The Dzialdowo parish has 1,730 souls, 450 of them in the town; 40 villages belong to it, and it is in the newly created deanery of Pomezania (in the ancient territory of that name), of Chelmno diocese, under the auspices of the bishop. In addition to the Lutheran schools in the town there is also a private Catholic school, supported by contributions from the Diocesan Society of St. Wojciech and St. Boniface, which also support the pastor.
    Local industry and trades are fairly healthy; there is a woolen cloth factory, workshops for cloth, hides, and so on. Near the town there are springs of iron mineral water and iron ore mines. There are numerous fairs: four a year for cattle, two for sheep, two for cloth, and four with stalls. Rev. Frydrychowitcz.
    Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Spring 1998 Bulletin.

    A village. Also a colony with 40 dwelling houses, 366 inhabitants of whom 150 are Lutheran, 216 Catholic. 93 are illiterate.
    Submitted & translated by Gerald R. Schmidt, Pittsburgh, PA

    Dziekanowice, a village in the county of Wieliczka, is located on the left bank of the river Raba, on the high road running from Gdów to Myślenice. It is located 12 kilometers south of Wieliczka, and 2 kilometers north of the post office in Dobczyce. There is a Roman Catholic parish in the town, which in the late 1800s totaled 293 inhabitants and 55 houses. One of the farmsteads covered 44 morgen of fertile farmland, 6 morgen, of meadows and gardens, 2 morgen, of pastureland, and 112 morgen, of forests. A second farm stead covered 16.5 morgen, of farmland, 32 morgen, of meadows and gardens, 20 morgen, of pastures, and 23 morgen of forests. The village had a one-classroom school, and a lending bank with a capital of 731 “złoty”.
    Translated by Helen C. Bienick of the PGS-CA

    Current administrative location: Dziennice, Gmina Inowrocław, Powiat Inowrocław, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland. Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Dziennitz, Kreis Inowroclaw, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich.
    Its German name is Dziennitz. A dominium located in powiat Inowrocław. The Dziennice dominium has an area of land equal to 1200 morgs. Dziennice has 4 houses with 79 inhabitants (66 Catholics and 13 Evangelical Protestants). There are 36 inhabitants that are illiterate. The post office and railway station are located about 7 kilometers away in Inowrocław. Dziennice used to be owned by the Kołaczkowski family. The entry did not list the village’s parish. The Góra Parish is located about 3-4 kilometers away.
    Translated by Al Wierzba, December 2009

    Current administrative location: Dzierzążno, Gmina Złotów, Powiat Złotów, Województwo Wielkopolskie, Poland. Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Gresonse, Kreis Flatow, Regierungsbezirk Marienwerder, Westpreußen, German Empire.
    >1.) The German name is Gresonse. It is an estate located in powiat Złotów. It belonged to the most expansive key (klucza) of Złotów. Now it is a possession of the Prussian Prince Charles. It is comprised of the following parts: 1) A village with a land area of 1648 mórg. 2) A manor farm connected to the village, part of the municipality (gmina), with an area of 3098 mórg. Together in the village and manor farm there are 71 buildings and 25 inhabited homes, with 67 Catholics and 199 Evangelical Protestants. 3) The forestry belongs to the manor farm. It has 4 buildings, 1 home, with 4 Catholics and 12 Evangelical Protestants. 4) Nowe Dzierzążno is a settlement attached to the village, part of the municipality (gmina), with 15 buildings and 6 inhabited homes, with 12 Catholics and 44 Evangelical Protestants. The parish and post office for all parts of Dzierzążno are located in Złotów. There is a Evangelical Protestant school in the village. In 1783, Dzierzążno belonged to v. Fahrenheid Angerapp. The well-known Prussian military leader Blücher lived here for some time.
    Translated by Al Wierzba, May 2009

    A village and district, Inowroclaw county; 3 localities: 1) Dziewa a village; 2) Dziewa, an estate, 1,143 morgs in size; 3) Czajka, an inn, 8 houses, 115 inhabitants, 11 Protestant, 104 Catholic, 55 illiterate.   The postal station is at Papros, on the border of the Kingdom of Poland, 5 km. away, and the railway station is at Inowroclaw, 14 km. away.  Formerly the property of J. Sobeski.
    Submitted by: This translation, by William F. Hoffman, first appeared in the November 1998 issue of “Bulletin of the PGSA”. (Nov 1998)

    A village in the powiat of Wagrowiecki containing 11 homes, 115 inhabiants, 105 Catholics, 10 Protestants, 49 illeiterates. A Catholic Church is located here and belongs to the dekanet of Lekinskiego. (Kalisz gubernia)
    (2) A Dominion (Manor Lindenbruck) 5669 morgs ( abt. 7900 acres) of cultivated lands and gardens, 10 homes 338 inhabiants, 20 Protestants, 318 Catholics 157 illerates. There is a Post Office at Kcynia (Exin) about 5 klm distant, a railroad station at Osiek about 25 klm distant. Together with Graboszewem the property of the Moszczenski family.
    Translated by Jim Piechorowski, PGSA Member, July 2005

Dzwierzchno Wielkie
    It is also known as Zwierzchno Wielkie or by the German name of Dreidorf Gross. A village by the lake consisting of 29 homes, 267 inhabitants, 134 Evangelists, 133 Catholics, and 36 illiterates. The parish church belongs to the Deanery of Bydgoszcz. The post office is in the village; the railroad station in Nakqlo is 25 Km away; from the town of Lobqzencia it is 10 Km to the east.
    Submitted by: Stan Schmidt, 106 S. Hill St., Roselle, IL 60172 (Dec 1996)

Dzwierzchno Male
    It is also known as Zwierzchno Male or by the German name of Dreidorf Klein. A village consisting of 60 homes, 447 inhabitants, 389 Evangelists, 58 Catholics, and 52 illiterates. Both villages are joined to each other. Almost all around the vicinity are found Swedish trenches from the time of King Jan Kazimierz. Different iron and silver ornaments were dug up in the vicinity.
    Submitted by: Stan Schmidt, 106 S. Hill St., Roselle, IL 60172 (Dec 1996)