Słownik Geograficzny Towns and Villages (I)

    A manorial farmstead in the parish of Wiesiejie, rural district of Kopciowo, Sejny County and located 25 versts from the town of Sejny. It was the property of Ablamowitz. There are 2 houses and 11 inhabitants. The manorial farmstead includes Juszkance, Dublance and the settlement of Przejma and is 7 versts from Kopciowo. The land area is 1206 morgs of which 263 are arable, 51 meadowland, 49 mg pasture, 203 mg woodland, and 40 mg barren land. There are 10 timber buildings, a pitch and peat bed. The village Juszkance has 12 settlements and 703 morgs. The village of Dublance has 6 settlements and measures 628 morgs. The settlement of Przejma has 10 morgs.
    Translated by Dorothy Leivers, Hadlow, Kent, England (May 2004)

    A village in the parish and rural district of Kopciowo, Sejny county. It is 17 versts from Sejny and has 9 houses and 78 residents.
    Translated by Dorothy Leivers, Hadlow, Kent, England (May 2004)

    A town in Oszmiana county, lying at 53 degrees 56′ North latitude, 25 degrees 46′ East longitude [Editor’s note: the Polish says 43 degrees 26′ East, but that’s because it was measured from Ferro], 39.1 miles in a southerly direction from Oszmiana and 89.3 miles from Wilno, at an altitude of 514 feet above sea level, possessing a peasant gmina administration, a rural school, a brick Catholic parish church called Sts. Peter and Paul, a post office for correspondence of all kinds and communicating with Lida through the Dzikowicze post office, about 19.6 miles away; the town numbers 2,123 inhabitants, that is, 1,054 men and 1,070 women (1869). The Iwje peasant gmina is divided among 5 rural districts, and has 42 villages, 978 houses, and 6,243 peasants. Iwje has a class II Catholic parish in Wiszniew deanery, an affiliate church in Dudy (compare its entry), a chapel in Satoltowicze, and 7,646 faithful.
    At one time Iwje was the property of the Kiszka family. Nicholas of Ciechanowiec of that family, voivode of Mscislaw and starosta of Wilkoszew, founded a church here in 1631, as well as a monastery, and he brought the Bernardine monks to it, offering them 200 zlotys annually from his estate, as well as a “decent allowance.” This donation was made on June 10, 1633. The monks had there a library holding 489 books of theological content, and maintained near the monastery a clerical school of rhetoric, until the confiscation of church property in the first quarter of this century.
    From the Kiszkas ownership of Iwje passed to the Sluzkas, namely to Catherine Janusz nee Kiszka, wife of the Lithuanian commander. In 1662 she bequeathed it to Charles and Catherine nee Radziwill Hlebowicz, who were survived by two daughters: Marcybela Oginska, wife of Marcyan, the Troki voivode and Lithuanian chancellor; and Christina Sapieha, wife of the Polotsk voivode. When Oginska died without heirs, Iwje went to the Sapieha family, who in 1686 mortgaged it to the Tyzenhauz family. Today Iwje belongs to the countess Elfrieda Zamoyska, who acquired it as an inheritance from the Tyzenhauz family.
    Translated by Michael Gansecki and William F. Hoffman, PGSA May 2000 Rodziny.

    A town and estate,in Oszmiana powiat. The estate comprises 29,400 acres [10,888 desyatins] of which nearly 17,580 acres are wooded. It includes the towns Iwie and Mikolajow on the Nieman River, as well as the manorial farmsteads: Galimszczyna, Chowailszczyna, Rembakowszczyna, Krasowszczyna, Staniewicze, Bagnorod, Ludmilin, Elfrydow, Augustowek, Borki, and Czapun. In 1832, the so-called “Iwian Countship” had villages and holdings covering 69,880 acres. Stanislaus Kiszka, son of the voivode of Witebsk, built a brick Catholic church in Iwie; his son Mikolaj, voivode of MscisIaw and starosta of Wilkomierz [Ed.: Lithuanian name Ukmerge], brought the Bernardine monks there; he settled them near the church and built a new, wooden parish church nearby. As its endowment he donated the Lipsk manorial farmstead, the peasant village of Streczenieta (with 415 settled acres [10 wtÑkas], 125 acres of land [3 wlokas], and 25-30 acres [20 morgs] of hayfields. Outside the town, in the Tatar settlement, are a Tatar mosque [Author: still there today] and burial ground. The first known owner of Iwie was Pietraszko (Peter) Mondygierd, district marshal and governor of Nowogrodek, who received it by a grant from King Kazimierz Jagiellonczyk in 1444. In 1542, the owner of Iwie was Jan Janowicz Zabrzezinski, royal marshal. Jan’s wife Tomila Zabrzezinska (of the house of the dukes of Zaslaw and Mscislaw) bequeathed Iwie in 1558 to Mikolaj Piotrowicz Kiszka, the cupbearer of Lithuania. In 1825 Count Rudolf Tyzenhaus acquired Iwie from the heirs of commander Michal Oginski. Lastly Count August Zamojski obtained Iwie by way of dowry for his daughter Elfryda. Today it is owned by his son, Count Tomasz.
    Translated by Michael Gansecki, PGSA August 2000 Rodziny. Used with permission.

    In the County of Wyrzysk, also known by the German name of Eichenrode.
    1) A village consisting of 6 homes, 68 inhabitants, 6 Evangelists, 62 Catholics, and 1 illiterate.
    2) An estate consisting of 2500 acres in two localities:
        a) a farm
        b) a brick factory
    It consists of 8 homes, 130 inhabitants, 31 Evangelists, 99 Catholic, and 39 illiterates. The post office and telegraph office are in …obzesica (German name -Lobsenz) 5 Km away. The railroad station is in Osiek (German name – Netzthal) 19 Km away.
    Submitted by: Stan Schmidt, Roselle, IL (Dec 1996)