Index for Slownik Geograficzny Towns and Villages (N)


Current administrative location: Nakla, Gmina Parchowo, Powiat Bytów, Województwo Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Nakel, Kreis Karthaus, Regierungsbezirk Danzig, Westpreußen, German Empire.

1) The German name is Nakel. According to visits by Gniewosza in 1649 it was called Maklia and by Madaliński in 1686 it was called Nakła. It is a peasant village located in powiat Kartuzy. It’s post office is located in Wygoda. The village’s Catholic Parish and civil administration office is located in Parchowo, which is 1 mile from Nakło. The Evangelical Parish, Wielki Pomejsk, is in powiat Bytów. The local Catholic school is a distance of 6 1/4 miles from the county’s main city and 3 miles from Kościerzyna. There are 16 tenant farmers and 14 crofts (enclosed sections of farmland), with a total of 5050 morgs. In 1868, there were 424 inhabitants (356 Catholics, 43 Evangelical Protestant, 3 Jewish, and 21 dissidents) and 51 houses.

In 1253, the Bishop of Kujawski, Wolimir, confirmed that a church would be established in Parchowo through a tithe from the village of Nakło (ob. Perlbach: P. U. B., stronica 127). From 1381, during the time of the Teutonic Knights, Nakło belonged to the Mirachow wójtowstwa (county) but still followed the Polish law that established rent at 12 skojców (ob. Zeitschs. des westpreuss. Gesch. Veveins 1882, str. 130, zeszyt VI). In the time of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, Nakło belonged to the jurisdiction of the Mirachow starosta (district chief). In 1649, when visiting this area, Gniewosz noted 12 serfs and 2 sołtys (mayors). The Mesznego records indicate that the villagers contribute 1 bushel of rye and the same amount of oats, along with an asterisk that indicates an additional 1/2 grosz payment.

Note: A skojców is a unit of measurement used in Germany and Poland during medieval times more can be found here skojek.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego – Warsaw [1895, vol.6, p.887].

Translated by Al Wierzba, August 2009. Originally posted on Al’s Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.


A village in the parish of Lejpuny, rural district of Kopciowo, Sejny county. It is 36 versts from Sejny and has 5 houses and 41 residents.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego – Warsaw [1892, vol. 15, p, 912].

Translated by Dorothy Leivers, Hadlow, Kent, England, [email protected] (May 2004)


Current administrative location: Nasiadki, Gmina Lelis, Powiat Ostrołęka, Województwo Mazowieckie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Nasiadki, Powiat Ostrołęka, Gubernia Łomża, Vistula Land, Russian Empire.

Also known as Nasiadka. A village located in gmina Nasiadki, powiat Ostrołęka. Nasiadki belongs to the Kadzidło Parish. There was initially a general school located in the village. Nasiadki has a land area of 1332 morgs. The population is difficult to canvas. In 1827, there were 29 homes with 140 inhabitants.

Nasiadki gmina: The gmina office is located in the village of Tatary. The gmina has 5615 inhabitants and 18,737 morgs of land. The district court, precinct, post office, and others are located in the city of Ostrołęka. The gmina is comprised of 23 farming villages, which are: Brzozówka, Dąbrówka, Długi-Kąt, Durlasy, Gibałka, Golanka, Grale, Jazgarka, Klimki, Krobia, Kurpiewskie, Leli, Łęk Starościński, Nasiadki, Płoszczyce, Przewrotna-Góra, Rossosz, Siedliska, Sól, Szafarczyska, Szkwa, Tatary, and Todzia.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego – Warsaw [1895, vol.7, p.923].

Translated by Al Wierzba, July 2010. Originally posted on Al’s Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.


A village in the parish and rural district of Kopciowo, Sejny county. It is 22 versts from the town of Sejny. In 1827 there were 4 houses and 23 inhabitants. It was part of the manor of Justyanowo. Now there are 5 houses and 44 inhabitants.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego – Warsaw [1885, vol. 6 p. 929].

Translated by Dorothy Leivers, Hadlow, Kent, England, [email protected] (May 2004)


Naumowicze a village in Augustow county, in Labno district, served by the Roman Catholic parish in Adamowicze (Orthodox in Labno), about 54 km. from Augustow. It has 59 houses and 459 inhabitants, and covers 1,538 morgs of land. In 1827 there were 44 houses and 267 inhabitants. It was part of the government owned estates of Labno.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego – Warsaw [1885, vol. 6, P.935]

Translated by William F. Hoffman, Spring 2000 Bulletin.


1 – A village and manorial farmstead, Bydgoszcz county.  The area of manorial farmstead  about 1822 morgs; 2 places a) village b) manorial farmstead; 12 houses, 145 inhabitants, 31 Protestants, 114 Catholics, 29 illiterates.  Post office, telephone and railroad is in Maksymilianow, 4 kilometers away, Kotomierz railroad station is 8 kilometers away, 10 km from Bydgoszcz, inn – 4 kilometers.

2 – A village in Sroda county, 61 houses, 701 inhabitants, 225 Protestants, 428 Catholics, 48 Jews, 170 illiterates.  Catholic parish church belongs to Kostrzyn deanery.  Post office and inn on site, telephone and railroad station in Wrzesnia 11 kilometers away.

3 – Nekla oledry, 2 places a) Nekla oledry,  b) Wygoda, inn;  51 houses, 484 inhabitants, 392 Protestants, 92 Catholics, 193 illiterates.

4 – Nekla house and county; house with manorial farmstead Altania, Rajmundow, Stroszki and Starczanow, area – 8742 morgs.  County consists of 3 places a) Nekla house and manorial farmstead, b) Rajmundow, c) Stroszki, county consists of 14 houses, 362 inhabitants, 29 Prostestants, 333 Catholics, 113 illiterates.  Owned by Wladyslaw Zoltowski.  Nekla in 16 century was a village.  According to the recruitment lists from 1578 Nekla in Neklia parish, owned by Janusz Grudzinski, Krzywin castellan, consisted of 3 settlers, 1 zagrodnik*, 1 tenant farmer, 1 tailor.  In 17 and 18 centuries Nekla was a small town.  The date of establishing the parish is unknown but it existed in the first half of 16 century, since [a document] from 1510 mentions it.  Originally it was wooden, [designed by?] Mikolaj Zdzychowski, Kalisz cup-bearer [historical term].  In 1749 Franciszek Odrowaz Wilkonski, Krzywin castellan, then Nekla heir, had a new church built in the first half of 18 century.  The only old relics left are portrait of Okecki, Posen bishop and portrait of Jan Lemanski, Nakla vicar.  Baptismal books from 1703 include baptismal record of Stanislaw Skalawski, son of Franciszek Skalawski, Posen cup-bearer, whose godfather was Stanislaw Leszczynski, then Posen voivode and Anna Leszczynska, crown Treasurer.  Nekla parish was in Kostrzyn deanery, consisted of 1212 souls (1873).

*zagrodnik – a peasant farmer who owned a house with a small piece of land and garden and usually a small stock of farm animals.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego – Warsaw [1885, vol. 6, pps 949-950]

Translated by Jim Piechorowski, [email protected] (Dec 2004)


A village and manorial farmstead, entailed estate, Augustow county, Kolnica gmina, Janowka parish, 10 versts [11 km.] from Augustow. It has 69 houses, 742 inhabitants. In 1827 the village, in Barglow parish, was owned by the government and had 66 houses and 402 inhabitants. In the 16th century there was supposedly a church here, a branch of the one in Barglow. The Netta manorial farmstead comprises an entailed estate granted to state councillor Chetyrkin. [No author named].

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego – Warsaw [1886, Volume 7, pages 5-6]

Translated by William F. Hoffman, Fall 2002 Rodziny.


Nick, village on the river Dzialdowka, Mlawa powiat, Zielun gmina, Dlutowo parish, 38 km. from Mlawa. It has 23 houses, 199 inhabitants, and 726 morgs of land; in 1827 it had 18 houses and 132 inhabitants.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego – Warsaw [1886, vol. 7, p. 32].

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Spring 1998 Bulletin.


– In German Nichorcz

Niechorsz, in documents from 1496 and 1506 Nyechorz, 1653 Niechocz, a village and mill on the lake of the same name in Zlotow county; railroad station, Catholic and Protestant parishes in Sepolno, about 7 km. away; district office of the civil registry in Komierowo; Protestant school in the village itself. The village has 3,713.16 morgs of land, 105 buildings, 30 houses, 275 inhabitants (262 Protestant, 13 Catholic).

According to the 1578 tax register, the village of NiechÑrz in Sempelbork parish had 2 peasant Lans, 3 owners of crofts or farmsteads, and 1 tenant farmer (Pawinski, Wielkopolska, Vol. I, p. 173]. According to the 1653 inspection report of Trebnic, “7 gburs [farmers who owned their own land, usually Germans] from Niechocz [sic] paid a Mass tithe each of 1 bushel of rye and the same amount of oats, Bydgoszcz measure” (p. 123). A 1754 charter has been preserved which shows that Niechorz was formerly a manorial farmstead. An interesting fact is that, even though according to Schmitt (Der Kreis Flatow, p. 266) the local landowners were of German descent, nonetheless the documents speak of land taxes on 20 morgs of Magdeburg measure, not of wlokas. The two soltysi acquired the lower judiciary by virtue of this charter, but the manor collected the monetary fines. The peasants were obligated to clean the mill trough, perform labor duty in Sikorz, convey wood in winter, and help with catching fish in Lake Niechorz, in return for which they also have the right to catch fish freely, but only with small implements. In addition they were to pay 100 tynfs of rent and provide on St. MartinÍs feastday 2 hens, 1 goose, 1 mendel of eggs [= 15], and 3 bundles of linen. They were allowed to build the church and school and could appoint the teacher, who would read them the sermon on Sundays, but they had to abide by the decree which the Kamien official Platern issued on 17 October 1738. The local Protestant congregation was broken up by order of that same official; its silver chalice ended up at the Protestant church in Sepolno. It seems that the local gburs left the village after 1739, and the manor changed it into a manorial farmstead, a state of affairs that lasted until 1754.

The local mill is mentioned in docu-ments as early as 1506; in that year we find mentioned as a tax appraiser at the Wiec-bork mill “Jakob, miller from Nyechorz” (see Schmitt, Der Kreis Flatow, 1, c., page 237). [Rev. Fr{ydrychowitcz} Æ Vol. 7, pp. 45-46].

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego – Warsaw 1896

Translated by William F. Hoffman, first appeared in the Winter 2002 issue of “Rodziny”, the Journal of the Polish Genealogical Society of America”.


A village in Tarnów county, on the right bank of the Dunajec river, in the river valley, at an elevation of 186 meters above sea level. The river’s winding bed has been straightened in this spot. It belongs to the Roman Catholic parish in Otwinów [Otfinów], and is served by the post office in Zabno (0.4 km. away). It has a community school and a district loan association with a capital of 1,397 zlotys in Austrian currency. At one time there was a benefice here, of St. Thomas. The village has 541 Roman Catholic inhabitants and 782 mórgs, of which the major estate [property owned by nobles] has 126 mórgs; the minor estate [property owned by peasants] has 655, of which wet pastures occupy 137. According to Dlugosz’s Liber beneficiorum (I,9), in the 15th century Nieciecza was the property of Jan Rabsztyn´ski from Krasnik. 2.) N., a settlement on the right bank of the Dunajec, on the road from Wojnicz to Rudka, between the villages of Komorów, Ostrów, and Wierzchoslawice, in Tarnów county. [Mac. {Maurycy Maciszewski}.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego – Warsaw [1886, vol. 7, p. 50].

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Fall 2004 Rodziny.



Nienadowka, Lower & Upper, with Poreby, a village in the Kolbuszowa powiat, lies on a sandy plain, near the highway from Rzeszow to Sokolow (4 km), built along the stream that flows from the left shore by Trzebos [west shore]. It has a wooden panish church, elementary school & communal loan office with capital of 2043 zloty. The major [land] owner is Count J. Zamoyski with 370 morg farmland, 52 morg meadow, 13 morg pastureland & 286 morg of forest. The rest is 2583 morg farmland, 370 morg meadow, 338 morg pastureland & 66 morg of forest. The inhabitants, number 2451 persons, profess to be Roman-Catholic. The church stands since the year 1579, when the parish was founded by Krzysztof of Stangenberg Kostka, a Pomeranian palatine, heir of Sokolow, Laka etc., and of the consort [wife] Anna ol Pllcza.

The parish (diocese of Przemysl, decanate of Luajsk) comprises Trzebuska and a large number 2867 Roman-Catholics and 125 Jews. The village borders Trzebuska to the north, to the west of Trzebos and to the south and east are forest.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego – Warsaw 1886

Submitted by: Rosemary Chorzempa, 7904 Jackman Rd., Temperance, MI 48182 (Nov 2000)


Niepolomice is a small town in the county of Bochnia. It is located on the Vistula River, a half-mile from the river bed. The river valley lies a short distance from a virgin forest and several miles from the point where the Vistula River becomes the border between Galicia and the Kingdom (Congress) of Poland at Podbiednik village in Michow county. There is a Roman Catholic church, county court, post office, board of trustees, a three grade community school, a pharmacy, several stores and an almshouse founded in 1773 by Princess Izabella Lubomirska. A doctor also lives here. On Tuesdays, weekly markets are held and there have been eleven yearly fairs. The pride of the town is the ancient brick church with two large side chapels and a KingÍs castle. There are, mainly, one story wooden houses arranged around the market square, with a few homes on streets located away from the square. The town has many suburbs and farmlands located along the Vistula river. The names of the suburbs are: Mszecin, Malcow, Sitowice, Suszowka. Grabie, Chobot, Baryszow, Blota, Grobla, Jazy, Pasternik, Piaski, Podborze, Podgrabie and Sidowa. West of the town is Wezowa Hill with is 9 meters high. The famous virgin forest of Niepolomice is south of town. Two roads lead to the town, one from Wieliczka, the other one from Bochnia and a branch of the Archduke Carl Ludwig Railway from the Podleze railroad station. The town lies 205 meters above sea level.

The population of the town is 3756 people and on the estate owned by the government, there are 109 people. There are 3356 Roman Catholics and 394 Jews. The Christian inhabitants are farmers and potters, while the Jews are the shopkeepers. The estate area covers 11 morgs of plowed land, 116 morgs of meadows, 298 morgs of pasture and 1427 morgs of forest. The meadows and pastures are west of the town, along the Vistula river. The borders of Niepolomice are shared with Grabie and Przylasek and Rusiecki on the west, Chrosciel and Staniatki on the south, Wola Batorska and Zabierzow on the east. The parish church is an ogival fourteenth century building, with a separate brick tower, belfry and clock. A marble board is set into the right side of the big door. The church was founded by King Kazimierz, the Great in 1358. Later, two side Renaissance chapels were added. The south one, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, was built in 1560 by Jan z Ruszczy Branicki, master of the royal hunt and the county official of Niepolomice and the north one was dedicated to Saint Charles Borromeo and built by Stanislaw Lubomirski, the province general of Krakow.

In 1640, Branicki committed the bodies of his parents into the church crypt and erected a monument made of dark red marble. The monument represented an armored knight and a matron dressed in medieval garments kneeling opposite each other. The church was remodeled throughout the centuries and when it had deteriorated in 1699, it was renovated by Jozef Lubomirski, prince of Ostrow and Wisniowiec, with a helping hand from the parish priest, Tomasz Olinski. The church holds the title of Ten Thousand Martyrs Crucified on Mt Ararat, and has a skull as a relic. It was stored in a pure gold can, now it is in a gold plated wooden box with a glass cover. The relic is shown during solemn processions in St. Charles Borromeo chapel. It came as an endowment from Stanley Lubomirski. In this chapel is an original portrait of the saint which was rumored to have miraculous powers. The legend has it that Anna, nee Myszkowski the wife of George Branicki, received it from the nuns in Bonoii. Anna had suffered for 11 years with rheumatism of the fingers and on November 1, 1604, while kneeling in prayer before the picture which was then in the King’s castle, was suddenly brought back to health. That same day she ordered the picture to be moved to the Saint Charles chapel. It became famous for the miracles that were worked there. The pope sent his legate to Niepolomice during the canonization for St. Charles to investigate the miracles. The painting was then exhibited in St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome during the canonization feast. The church was consecrated by the archbishop of Gniezno, Jaroslaw Bogorya in 1358, even though the parish had been established earlier. It was established by Kazimierz the Great in thanksgiving to God for the victory over the Teutonic Order on June 22, 1349. Its borders were marked out by Bishop Bodzanty of Krakow in 1350. From 1601 till 1818, the church brotherhood of St. Ann was in existence, and it became active again in 1864. There are some noteworthy things to see in the St. Charles chapel, among them, latticed windows, a beautiful Venetian made monstrance, a fifteenth century chalice and the diplomas held in the treasury of Bishop Bodzanty.

Niepolomice parish covers Wola Batorska, Podleze, Klaj, part of Chrosc, Podborze and Kolko. There are 8678 Roman Catholics and about 600 Israelites. The King’s castle was built by Kazimierz, the Great. It was built of wood and he used it when he was hunting in the area. The present castle was built during the reign of Zygmunt August, according to documents from 1569. It is well built, at great expense, of brick construction, one story high, in the Italian Gothic style like the Jagiellonian Library and Wawel Castle in Krakow. It was partly destroyed by fire in 1875.

Niepolomice was the former property of Wojslaw Osmiorg, who founded Grobla fortress. He exchanged his property with Kazimierz the Great for other estates. Kazimierz the Great, founded the city, built the church and the castle, which he often used for hunting. King Wladyslaw Jagiello, the founder of the Jagiellonian dynasty and a great lover of forests and hunting used it in the years of 1408, 1410, 1412, 1418, 1430 and 1432. In 1411, he stayed in the castle for 15 days after a pilgrimage to Krakow where he had 50 flags, captured from the Teutonic Knights, hung at the the tomb of St. Stanislaus. In 1420, he received the Czech legation, which offered him St. Waclaw’s crown, which he refused. In 1433, Wallachian Hospodar Ilia asked the Polish king for help to regain his throne. The castle was used by many kings while they lived in Krakow but after the capital of Poland was moved to Warsaw, it was visited infrequently. Zygmunt III stayed at the castle to avoid the plague in 1591. Jan Zamoyski welcomed the bride of King Steven Batory (1583) to the castle and led her to Krakow for the wedding procession. Lubomirski (1644), Jan III (1692) and August II (1730) were guests at the castle.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego – Warsaw (1886).

Submitted by Carol Wywialowski (Nov. 2000). Translation by Margaret Kot

Families of members doing research in Niepolomice. Click on researcher name to send E-mail.

Surname Date Researcher
Chmura ? Carol Wywialowski
Firlit 1873 Carol Wywialowski
Wywial 1872 Carol Wywialowski


In a document from 1222: Neuyr, Nevir, Nefer. A village and knightly estate in Brodnica county. Post office and telephone and City Records Office in Brodnica, 7.5 km distance. Railroad station in Jablonowo, 20 km distant. Catholic parish and school in Mszano. Lutheran parish in Brodnica. In 1868 between the village and the estate there were 17 buildings, 8 dwelling houses, 134 inhabitants, 131 Catholics, 3 Lutherans. The estate comprises 357.45 hectares of arable land and garden, 84.26 ha of meadow, 6.66 unused, 17.87 ha of water, all told, 467.24 hectares. The net income from the land is 3,462 marks. The owner is Michal Wybicki. The peasant population is Polish. Niewierz lies on the beaten track between Torun and Brodnica. The name comes from the personal name Niewir.

The proof of the antiquity of this settlement is a embankment of trenchs, now partly ploughed up, lying on the south side of the Niewierz lakes, right at the site of the manor. This pre-historic rampart lies on the very separation of the waters, falling on one side from the rivulet Mala Osa to the rivers Osa and Wisla, and on the other, to the nearby Drweca (See “Objasn. do mapy archeol. Prus. Zach.” of Ossowski, p. 7; por. also Lembork, t.V. 138). A privelege from Lowicz from 1222 numbers Niewierz among the old castles. (Ketrz., 0. Ludn. pols., p. 56). At the time of the war in 1414 the village Nevir, ie., Niewierz, suffered damage amounting to 300 grzywna’s; also Pielgrzym, the possessor (?) from Niewierz bore a significant loss. (See Schultz, History of the City and the County of Chelm, II, p. 159 and 162). According to the visitation of (bp) Strzesz from 1667 Niewierz gave a tithe in grain of 2 bushels of rye and as many of oats. p. 325. -Ks. F.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego – Warsaw 1886

Submitted & translated by Gerald R. Schmidt, Pittsburgh, PA, [email protected] (Feb 2001).


A settlement in the parish and rural district of Kopciowo, Sejny County. It is 31 versts from the town of Sejny with 2 houses and 21 inhabitants.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego – Warsaw [1886, vol. 7, p, 912].

Translated by Dorothy Leivers, Hadlow, Kent, England, [email protected] (May 2004)


Niwiska, with Hucisko, village, district of Kolbuszowa, lies in a sandy lowland (289 meters elevation), on a field in the midst of deforested coniferous woods. The highway from Kolbuszowa to Preclaw (11 kilometers) runs through the village and a stream flows into the Swierczówka River (which, father on its course, is called the Przyrwa) then into the Lega River. In the center of the village stands a brick church, to the north a windmill and brickworks, while to the east is an abandoned glassworks behind which is found the hamlet of Hucisko which was founded by metallurgical settlers. Niwiska has a mission parish which belongs to the church in Rzochów, a public school 1-class, a community loan office with ../assets of 408 zloty (Austrian Currency), 1,198 Roman Catholic residents, 66 of whom work on the estate owned by Kazimierz Hupko. The property consists of 615 mórgs of fields, 147 mórgs of meadows, 112 mórgs of pasture land and 1,478 mórgs of forests; the lesser domain consists of 1,805 mOrgs of fields, 291 mOrgs of meadows, 249 mórgs of pasture land and 403 mórgs of forests. The present church was erected in the year 1876, replacing the wooden structure built in 1595. In addition, a brick chapel built in 1874 stands in the cemetery. The parish (Diocese of Przemyl, Deanery of Mielec) embraces Debrzyna, Hucina with Zabien, Leszcze, Hucisko, Poreby, Trzen, and Zapole. The population numbers 3,512 Roman Catholics and 141 Jews. Besides agriculture, the inhabitants are engaged in cabinetmaking and turnery (the art of forming solid substances into cylindrical or other forms by means of a lathe). In the 16th century, Niwiska belonged to the Lubomirski Family. In 1680 it was obtained by the Jesuits of Sandomierz for 15,000 Polish zloty, which they later loaned from the Bobola Foundation to Aleksander Lubomirski, voivode of Kraków, for the education of 12 students from the aristocracy. After the suppression of the Society of Jesus, the monies were placed in an educational find which was eventually sold. Niwiska borders on the east with Trzenia, on the north with Zabieniec and Hueina, on the west and south with many coniferous forests.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego – Warsaw [1885, Volume 7, pages 163]

Submitted by Anthony Paddock, (Dec 2003).

Nowe Wal~dowo

Nowe Waldowo originates from the earlier knightly estate of Waldowo. Waldowo was bought in 1893 by the state for the purposes of German colonization. Thru a decree of the county legislature of June 15, 1899 large plains of Waldowo were detached and united with Wielki Wlosciborz. On the other hand large stretches of Wielki Wlosciborz were detached and added to Nowe Waldowo. Thru a decree of the county board of November 6, 1901 a few parcels of land were detached from Nowe Waldowo and attached to the municipality of Waldowo. After the transformation of the knightly estate into a municipality the village was given the name Nowe Waldowo thru the highest of all edicts on February 3, 1902.

In the vicinity of the village stood 2 juniper trees which have a diameter of 1 1/2 feet. Thru a hurricane on February 12, 1894 they were unfortunately uprooted. The hills in the north of Nowe Waldowo reach a height of 137 meters (449 1/2 ft.), in the south 143 meters (469 ft.).

There is a 1-room? einkiassig school house in Nowe Waldowo.

Source: Der Kreis Flatow -1918

Translated by Gerald R. Schmidt, Pittsburgh, PA, [email protected] (Jul 2003)


A small village in the parish and rural district of Kopciowo, Sejny county. It is located 27 versts from Sejny and has 4 houses with 49 inhabitants. In 1827, there were 4 houses and 21 inhabitants. It was once part of the manor Justyanowo.

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego – Warsaw [1886, vol. 7, p 236, item 3].

Translated by Dorothy Leivers, Hadlow, Kent, England, [email protected] (May 2004)


Nowotaniec, with Zagorzany, a small town in the county of Sanok, lies in a wooded, hilly area on the highway from Zarszyn to Bukowsko (5.6 km. away). The town itself consists of a marketplace and several streets in the valley of the Pielnica River, a tributary of the Wislok on the right bank, elevation 363 meters above sea level. Several streams flow into the Pielnica there from nearby hills, namely, on the west from Wysoka gora (432 meters), and on the east from Bukowica (541 meters). To the north the village of Nadolany and to the south the village of Nagorzany create a kind of sub-urb. Nowotaniec itself has 595 inhabitants, 428 Roman Catholic, 11 Greek Catholic,and 156 Jews. A Roman Catholic parish is headquartered there, with a beautiful church made of stone; there are also an elementary school, a manor transformed from an ancient castle, and a brewery. There is a weekly market held every Mon-day, as well as four annual fairs: on the Monday after the feast of the Holy Trinity, and on the 1st of May, 2nd of August, and 11th of November. The major estate has 16 morgs of farmland; the minor estate [land owned by peasants] has 496 morgs of farm-land, 40 of meadows, and 35 of forests.

We do not know much about the history of Nowotaniec. The date of its founding is unknown. In the 15th century there was a German settlement there called Lebetanz, and Piotr, its noble owner, signed his name to the document founding the parish in Humniska. Later the name was changed to Nebetanz, and finally to the one it bears today. In the 16th century the latter name had already come into general use, spelled Nowothancze or Nowotancze. The Archiwum grodzkie i ziemskie (vol. IX, Lwow 1885) contains two documents signed by Stanislaw Bal and Maciej Bal, castellans of Sanok. Nowotaniec remained in the Bals’ possession until the time of King Stefan Batory. Jan Bal, cupbearer of Sanok, founded a parish there in 1492. Later Nowotaniec came to be owned – partly by way of inheritance, partly through purchases – by the Hungarian family de Stano related to the Bals. Hieronim de Stano was a religious dissenter and converted the church into a Helvetian congregation [i. e., Calvinist or other Swiss Protestant sect], and he paid for a minister for the congregation; but in 1613 it was returned to the Catholics. In 1643 the Sejm wanted to elevate this settlement, and for this reason established a warehouse there for Hungarian wine. During Bishop Denhoff’s inspection visit in 1699 it was recorded that on one side of the church stood the castle of Aleksander de Stano, and on the other a congregation of dissenters. Several years later Boguslaw Stan sold Nowotaniec to Bukowski, royal chamberlain, and he built the church that still exists today, which was consecrated by Bishop Sierakowski in 1745 under the name of St. Mikolaj [St. Nicholas].

The parish belongs to the diocese of Przemysl, deanery of Sanok, and includes Darow, Nadolany, Nagorzany, Pielnia, Pulawy, Wola Jaworowska, and Wola Selkowa [this is probably Sekowa Wola], with a total of 1,960 Roman Catholics and 156 Greek Catholics. Not far from Nowotaniec lies the castle of Zborsko, built in 1529 by Odnowski, palatinate of Krakow. After the Bukowskis, Nowotaniec was owned by the Bronieckis, and currently Wiktor Pozniak owns the major estate and the exclusive right to produce and sell alcohol on its grounds. [Mac. (Dr. Maurycy Maciszewski) Vol. VII, pp. 290-291].

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Fall 2001 Rodziny.


Nowydwor [German name Neuhof]: estate of the Chelmno bishops, Starogard powiat, postal, telegraph and railway stations, district civil registrar’s office. Located 4 km. from Pelplin, it is served by the Catholic parish in Klonowka and the Protestant congregation in Rudno; it has a Catholic school. With the manorial farmstead of Debina (German name Eichwald) it has 13 homesteads, 48 hearths, 234 Catholic inhabitants (as of 1879), 516.1 hectares of arable land and gardens, 139.3 of meadows, 1.7 of pastureland, 12.2 unusable hectares, 8.9 of water, for a total of 678.2 hectares, with a net income of 9,796 marks from the land; it is about 12 km. from the powiat capital [Starogard Gdanski].

It appears that Nowydwor is one of the older settlements. In 1884 urns were discovered there, but only scraps were extracted. Long ago this estate was the property of the Pelplin Cistercians. The local manorial farmstead may already have been founded in the 15th century on the old territory of Pelplin (cmp. Rev. Kujot’s Opactwo Pelplinskie, p. 386). There used to be two smaller farmsteads there, which circa 1618 were called Kamieniec and Starydwor [Old Manor]. In 1545 it and Ropuchy came into the possession of the monastic attorney Jerzy Pomierski. In 1548 King Zygmunt August confirmed Pomierski’s lifelong tenancy, along with the monastery’s charters. In 1594 farm-owners from Rudno leased the local manorial farmstead for 12 years at 700 zl. (2,659 marks) annually. The original of this agreement, designated for the monks’ use, has been preserved to this day in the Pelplin records. In regard to form and signatures it is one of the most interesting relics of the Cistercian era. It was drawn up in Polish: “We, Oswald Kiclier (Lachtliwy) and Stanislaw Raikowski, soltyses, and all neighbors of the village of His Royal Majesty Rudno, leaseholders for this period of His Excellency Stanislaw Przyjemski, Royal Marshal, Konin starosta, etc.” At the bottom and on the left side of this document all the lease-holders signed, but in German. Stanislaw Raikowski signs it with his own hand as “Stenzel Reke,” his two brothers Pawel and Jan/ Hans do likewise. Alongside them stand Lukasz Mulintz (Milecz, from Milecz near Matawy), Jan Frost, Pawel Bielawski (Bilaw), Jan Hildebrandt (Hilbrandt). Several of the names are written very illegibly; there are 17 of them in all. Both the soltyses put their seals over their names. The shields are just as in their arms, but in place of the usual arms of Rajkowski there is a high cross to which a line is attached at a right angle from the left. The other soltys’s seal has three stars on the shield. This document was drawn up in Rudno. The names show that adoption of German forms happened among the peasants of Pomerania as well as the nobles; from the days of the Teutonic Knights the inhabitants had become so used to these forms that they signed their names that way, even though they considered themselves Poles.

In 1661 with abbot Czarlinski’s permission the monastery leased NowydwÑr for three years to the renowned lord Jan Kenig. The lease-holder was to occupy: Grawensee, Szaszek, Rorteich, Dwaslupy, a pond in the woods, StarydwÑr by Wangiermucy, a small pond by the manor, and a second in front of the courtyard. The monastery kept for itself three ponds, Grabowko, Chojka “by the dike” and Lenartek. Five people and an innkeeper were left behind. Kenig had wood for free, but was not to touch the oak grove and small birch forest beyond the manor. The livestock consisted of 8 oxen and 3 cows (this was in the days after the Swedish war). The lease was for 500 zl. the first year, 900 the second, and 1,000 the third. The monastery allowed brewing beer for the house’s use, but stipulated that Kenig was to leave a complete sowing on the farmstead of 11ò2 lasts of rye, half a last of barley, a last of oats, a quarter bushel of peas, and several bushels of wheat.

On 14 April 1683 a great fire broke out in Nowydwor and destroyed all the farm buildings and livestock.

Currently Nowydwor has 85 Chelmno-measure wlokas. After the transfer of the Chelmno diocese’s capital from Chelmza to Pelplin in 1821, Nowydwor remained the property of the bishop. The Cistercians built the local chapel for their steward, who resided there. [Editor’s note: there are dozens of places named Nowy Dwor in Poland, and many were called Neuhof by the Germans because both names mean “new manor.” So even if this name sounds familiar, don’t jump to the conclusion this is the right one unless the one you want was located within a few kilometers of Pelplin, in what is now Gdansk province.]

Source: Slownik Geograficzny Krolestwa Polskiego – Warsaw [1886, vol. 7, p. 298, 13th entry under Nowydwor].

Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Summer 1997 Bulletin.

Nowy Dwór

Current administrative location: Nowy Dwór, Gmina Dąbrowa Biskupia, Powiat Inowrocław, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland.

Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Nowy Dwor, Kreis Inowroclaw, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich.

7) A folwark located in powiat Inowrocław. There are 6 houses with 69 inhabitants. The folwark belongs to the Bonków (Bąków) estate.

The entry did not list the parish that the village belonged. The closest is the Brudnia Parish, which is about 3 miles away.

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego – Warsaw [1895, vol.7, p.296].

Translated by Al Wierzba, November 2009. Originally posted on Al’s Polish-American Genealogy Research Blog.