Folwark, Wloclawek powiat, Piaski gmina, Zglowiaczka parish, 28 wiorstas from Wloclawek, has 41 inhabitants. Rabinowofolwark, separated from Zydowo estates, covers 292 morgs: 232 of cultivated land and gardens, 23 of meadows, 2 of Pastureland, 18 unused; 4 built up; 9-field crop rotation; peat deposits. 8 morgs belong to the peasants.
Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Winter 1996-1997 Bulletin (Mar 1999)
1) Village in Slutsk county (ujezd), Tchaplitzkaya subcounty (volost), 1 versta (1.1km) from the railroad station at Tinitza.
2) Estate of the landlord Zaleski, same volost.
3) Village in Kopylshaya subcounty (volost).
Submitted by: Don Szumowski, Washington, DC (Apr 1998)
Current administrative location: Radłówek, Gmina Inowrocław, Powiat Inowrocław, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland. Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Radlowek, Kreis Inowroclaw, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich.
Also known as Radłówko, but mistakenly called Pudłówko. An estate located in powiat Inowrocław. It is located about 7 kilometers northwest of Inowrocław and much further northeast of Pakość. Radłówek belongs to the Tuczno Parish. The post office is located in Jaksice. The railway station is located in Inowrocław. Radłówek has 6 houses with 133 inhabitants (all Catholics).
The Radłówek estate has an area of land equal to 286.19 hectare (252.13 hectare of farmland, 4.89 hectare of meadows, 20.29 hectare of pastures, 5.82 hectare of unused barren land, and 3.6 hectare of water). The income generated from the land is equal to 5666 marks.
Radłówek belongs to the Brzeski family. In 1583, the owner was Jan Krotoski, who was the Castellan of Inowrocław.
Translated by Al Wierzba, December 2009.
Current administrative location: Radojewice, Gmina Dąbrowa Biskupia, Powiat Inowrocław, Województwo Kujawsko–Pomorskie, Poland. Administrative location in 1895 (Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego): Radojewitz, Kreis Inowroclaw, Regierungsbezirk Bromberg, Provinz Posen, Kaiserlich Deutsches Reich.
Also known as Radajewice, German name: Radojewitz, it was formerly known as Radajewice. It is a village, estate, and urban district located in powiat Inowrocław. Radojewice is about 12 kilometers southeast from Inowrocław and much further northeast of Kruszwica. Radojewice is elevated about 109 meters above sea level. Radojewice belongs to the Góra Parish. The post office is located in Łojewo. The railway station is located in Inowrocław.
In 1489, Radojewice belonged to the Radojewski family. Then, in 1553, Radojewice belonged to the Zakrzewski family. In 1583, Jan Niemojowski owned 1/2 łan of Radojewice.
Currently, the village has 20 houses with 157 inhabitants (all residents are Catholic). The estate has 9 houses with 145 inhabitants. The Radojewice area, including the Popowo folwark, has an area of land equal to 662.79 hectare (343.25 hectare of farmland, 99.16 hectare of meadows, 156.20 hectare of pasture, 26.63 hectare of forests, 26.73 hectare of unused barren land, and 8.82 hectare of water). The income generated from the land is equal to 4646 marks. Radojewice specializes in Dutch and Frisian cattle breeding. The urban district includes the Popowo folwark, which totals 10 houses with 163 inhabitants (36 Protestants and 127 Catholics).
Translated by Al Wierzba, November 2009.
Radun in Belarus, is a small government-owned town on the Radunka River, Lida powiat, in the 4th political district, center of a gmina and a rural district; it is an estate belonging to the treasury, 30 km. northwest of Lida, 37 km. from Wasiliszki, and 82 km. from Wilno, on a side road which in the 16th century was the shortest highway between Wilno and Krakow. In the year 1881 there were 1,526 inhabitants (757 male and 769 female); in the year 1866 there were 91 houses and 869 inhabitants (361 Catholics and 508 Jews); it has a wooden Catholic church and chapel, a synagogue, gmina administrative office, and a public school, which in the year 1885-6 was attended by 56 boys and 2 girls. It is the property of the treasury, which gave the lands back to the peasants for purchase. About 2 km. from the town, on a vast plain near the village of Horodyszcze, is a large trench, and even though the inhabitants call it the “Swedish” trench, its shape and the name of the adjoining the village shows that it was a fortified citadel of long ago. According to Balinski (Star. Polska, III:259), Radun was called Radomi by 16th century travelers and writers.
This small town was once a royal estate, from which the income went to pay for the king’s court and table. According to a 1538 inspection, it had 7 streets there, in addition to the market square, and 210 houses of Christians – Jews were forbidden to settle there. It had 35 saloons for selling beer, 7 for mead and one only for liquor. Later Radun became the site of a starostwo not affiliated with a grod, and in 1770 that office included the town with appurtenances. In the year 1766 Jozef Tyszkiewicz, the castellan of Mscislaw [now Mstsislav, in Belarus] bought it, and on it he paid a kwarta of 2,616 zloty’s, 5 groszy, and a hyberna of 2,690 Polish z1oty’s. At the Sejm of 1773-75 the Commonwealth government addressed recurring disputes over the borders of this starostwo by passing a separate law designating six officials as ad hoc commissioners to settle the matter once and for all.
In the Metryka Litewska the series of Radun starosta’s begins toward the end of the 15th century with Janusz Kostewicz (1498-1527), followed by: Jan Hlebowicz (1527), Szymko Mackiewicz (1532-1541), Stanislaw Kiezgajlo (1546-1549), Augustyn Fursowicz (1551), Jurij Wolczkowicz (1556), Jan Hercyk (1569), and Mikolaj Talwosz (1581).
The Catholic parish church of Our Lady of the Rosary dates from 1838, transferred from the village of Kolesniki [now Kalesninkai, Lithuania], due to the closing of the Carmelite monastery there. Previously there had existed a church from the year 1752, which burned down; rebuilt in 1801, it suffered the same fate again. There is a small chapel in the cemetery. The Catholic parish, of the Radun deanery, has 7,522 souls. At one time there was a branch of the church in the village of Dubicze. The Radun deanery consists of 11 parishes: Radun, Ejszyszki [now Eisiskis, Lithuania], Wasiliszki [now Vasiliski, Belarus], Nacza [Nac], Bieniakonie [Benyakoni], Zablocie [Zabalac], Wawiorka, Iszczolna, Woronow [Voranawa], Ossow and Soleczniki [now Salcinikai, Lithuania], for a total of 58,768 souls.
In this parish the terrain is level and treeless, overgrown in some places with bushes and covered with marshes. The soil is sandy, with a lot of gravel. It is watered by the following rivers: Dzitwa, Pielasa, Radunka, Naczka, Sopunka, Jodub. The rural district includes the town of Radun and the villages of Juciuny, Straczuny, Horodyszcze, Jatowty, Popiszki, Skladance, Wojkunce, and the nobles’ farm settlement of Poradun, for a total as of the year 1864, according to the treasury rewizja of peasants, of 565 serfs, 3 men of jednodworzec status, and 32 free men. The gmina of Radun belongs to the 3rd district chamber of peasant affairs in the town of Ejszyszki as well as to the 3rd conscription center for the same place in Lida district, and consists of four rural districts: Radun, Mozejki, Kiwance, and Pielasa, including 67 villages with 536 houses, inhabited by 6,969 peasants. According to the 1864 census, there were in the gmina 1,740 serfs, according to the treasury rewizja of peasants 346 enfranchised farmers, 85 of jednodworzec status, 56 Jewish farmers, and 32 free men, for a total of 2,259 souls.
Translated by Barbara Proko, Boulder, CO and edited by Fred Hoffman. From the PGSA Summer 1998 Bulletin.
German name Radwonke, in a 1578 document Redwaki, a village and rural district in the county of Chodziez, between Budzyn and Margonin, 6 km. away, in a hilly area; it is served by the parish in Chodziez, the post office in Margonin, and the railway station in Budzyn. Radwanki existed before 1578 (see Radwankowo); by the end of the last century it belonged to the Grudzinskis. The village has 69 houses, 584 inhabitants; net income from the land is 9 marks per hectare. Included in Radwanki district is Katarzynowo (2 houses, 134 inhabitants); the whole district has a total of 71 houses, 597 inhabitants (144 Catholic, 444 Protestant, and 9 Jewish).
Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Summer Rozdiny 2004.
Radziechów, sometimes Raziechów, Ukrainian Radychiw [modern spelling Radekhiv], a small town in Kamionka powiat, has a powiat court, telegraph station and post office. To the northeast lie Tetewczyce, Peratyn and Antonowka, to the cast Niemilów, to the southeast Srodopolce, to the south Krzywe, to the southwest Stanin, to the northwest Jozefow. R. lies on the line of the principal European watershed. The northwest part of the region belongs to the drainage-basin of the Wistula, by way of Bialystok, by its tributary, the Bug; in the southeastern part flows the Radziechow or Ostrowki stream, a tributary of the Styr (the drainage-basin of the Dniepr). The Radziechow stream arises south of the town’s buildings and flows to Srodopolce. South of the rural buildings lie the manoral apiary and the Dabrowa forest, to the north the “Kopan” grove (249 mt.), to the west the “Choroszczo” fields (253 mt.), to the north the “Perewotki” fields (268 mt.), to the east the “Zapust” forest, in which is the forester’s lodge and hut called “Czutrowina,” and to the southeast lies a group of homes called “Katy” (Kuty), with two mills on the Radziecho w stream, with a windmill, folwark, and distillery. The major estate (of Count Stanislaw Badeni) has 1,008 morgas of cultivated land, 57 of meadows and gardens, 266 of pastures, 992 of woods; the minor estate has 2,952 morgas of cultivated land, 118 of meadows and gardens, and 316 of pastures. In 1880 there were 480 houses and 3,555 inhabitants in the gmina, 18 houses and 129 inhabitants on the estate; 422 Roman Catholic, 2,392 Greek Catholic, 818 Jews, 52 of other faiths; 339 Poles, 3,238 Ukrainians, 64 Germans. There is a Roman Catholic parish on the site, in Busk deanery. The parish was founded by Jozef Count Mier in 1775. The brick church, consecrated in 1828, is dedicated to the Immaculate Conception. Belonging to the parish: Dmytrow, Hanunin, Józefów, Krzywe, Mierow, Pawlów, Peratyn, Plowe, Sienko w, Srodopolce, Stanin, Surzno with Toboowe, Wolica Barylowa, Wolka with Szczyglówka, and Zabawa. There is a Greek Catholic parish on the site, in Cholojów deanery; JÑ zefÑ w belongs to the parish. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas and has a 4-grade budgeted school. R. used to belong to the Laszczes, then to the Miers, who erected a spacious palace there.
Submitted by: This translation, by William F. Hoffman, first appeared in the Winter 1995-1996 issue of “Bulletin of the PGSA”. (Nov 1998)
Rajgród, an urban settlement on Lake Rajgrodzkie, before 1867 it had miasteczko [“small town”] status; it is in Szczuczyn powiat, Przestrzele gmina, Rajgrod parish. It lies along the highway from Warsaw to Kowno [now Kaunas, Lithuania], between Grajewo and Augustow, 239 km. from Warsaw, 33 km. from Szczuczyn, 18.7 km. from Grajewo, 3.2 km. from the Prussian border. The settlement occupies a peninsula jutting into the lake, and on the edge of the peninsula an embankment rises (an ancient citadel ruin), called Gora zamkowa [Castle Hill], quadrangular at the top, measuring 390 paces in circumference. Rajgrod has a wooden parish church, a Reformed Protestant church, a synagogue, an elementary school, gmina office, post office, and drugstore; it has 217 houses, 3,916 inhabitants (1,932 men, 1,984 women). The settlement has 2,696 morgs of land. There are six fairs held here yearly. The populace, mainly Jewish, supports itself with retail trade, of which the main article is smoked fish (whitefish and eels).
Around 1280 Prince Narymunt of Lithuania invaded Podlasie and, having seized the entire region, gave it to his brother Trojden for his participation. He, in order to secure the borders from the Prussians and Mazurians, erected a fortified citadel on the lake. In a document dividing Podlasie (Wizna district and Goniadz district) with Lithuania in 1358 (Kodeks Maz., p. 73), it is mentioned as a border point, along with the river Netta. Whether castle Rongart, erected according to Wigand in 1360 by Kazimierz the Great and destroyed soon after by the Teutonic Knights, can be identified with Rajgrod is doubtful. It seems that Rajgrod belonged to Lithuania and was a property of the Duchy, later given to the princes Glinski. When prince Michal, renowned in history, was punished for treason by confiscation of his property, the Rajgrod estates were given by Zygmunt I, in 1509, to Mikolaj Radziwill, Wilno palatine. During the 16th century the Rajgrod starostostwo appears in the tax rolls, sometimes separately, sometimes as a tenuta [“tenure”] connected with the Augustow starostwo. In 1580 income from both was evaluated at 2,967 zlotys, 25 groszy, and the kwarta was designated as 593 florins, 17 gr. In 1593 the Rajgrod starostwo was designated as security for the oprawa of Anna, wife of Zygmunt III (see Podlasie, vol. VIII, p. 417). In 1616 the starostwo was held by Piotr Dulski, and in 1632 Krzysztof Dulski, starosta of Rajgrod and Augustow, voted in the election of King Wladyslaw IV (Volumina legum, III, pp. 145 and 365). The 1664 inspection tour of the estate mentions that the dowry of Queen Maria Ludwika [aka Ludwika Maria] was secured on the Rajgrod starostwo, which at that time included the town of Rajgrod, its manorial farmstead, and the villages of Drestwo, Krocowka, Indziki, Czarnylas, Kosowka, Miecze, Kosily, Cmiele, Barszcze, and two forests, called Rybczyna and Belz. In 1674 the Rajgrod starosta was Jan Kazimierz Tedwin, chamberlain of Dorpat in Livonia [now Tartu, Estonia] (Volumina legum, V, p. 131). In a charter dated 1679 King Jan III confirmed the granting of Magdeburg law granted by Anna nee Radziwill Kizczyna and various other freedoms granted that town. In 1771 Dominik Medeksza, Kowno chamberlain, owned it along with his wife, Anna nee Wilczewska, and on it they paid a kwarta of 1,298 z1p, 18 gr., and a hyberny [tax for the winter upkeep of the army] of 1,096 zlp., 29 gr. But by the Warsaw Sejm of 1775 the States of the Commonwealth bestowed this estate in emphyteutic ownership to Rydzewski, the Wizna Lord High Steward, along with the wojt’s office (Volumina legum, VIII, p. 141).
On 22 May 1831 the Russian general Sacken, who regarded Rajgrod’s position as the key to Augustow province and Lithuania, occupied the city with a corps of 7,000 soldiers, and fortified the castle heights’ battery with 14 guns and a stockade. On the 18th Dembinski drew near in the vanguard of Gielgud’s corps, and took the position after an intense struggle. Sacken retreated to Augustow (Puzyrewski, Wojna 1831 r., p. 264; Dembinski’s Pam. [Memoirs], I, p. 270). As a border point Rajgrod was a trade market for Lithuania products, mainly furs, which were conveyed to Rajgrod and from there transported all over Mazovia.
The wooden Catholic church, under the patronage of the Birth of Our Lady, was supposedly established along with the parish in 1519 by Mikolaj Radziwill. The current church was built in 1764 by pastor Jan Olszewski, but was not consecrated until 1820 by August Marciejewski, the Augustow suffragan bishop. Rajgrod parish, of Szczuczyn (formerly Wasosz) deanery, has 6,073 souls (as of 1885).
A description and drawing of the Rajgrod citadel ruins was given by M. Osipowicz in Tygodnik Ilustrowany [The Illustrated Weekly] in 1867 (issue 384). As of 1859 the government-owned estates of Rajgrod covered a total area of 20,330 morgs. Of these in 1841 privy councilor Czetyrkin had been given in entail the estate of Netta, consisting of the manorial farmstead of Netta (1,083 morgs), Borsuki (223), Barglowka (830), and 1,426 morgs of forest; the pastorate of Netta (177 morgs); the settlements of Choszczowskie (39), Choszczowo trzciane (58), Stare Nowiny (35); and the villages of Netta (2,593), Borsuki (351), Czarnybrod (55), Naddawki (45), Borki (54), Sosnowo (42), Karpa (102), Lipowo (158), Pienki (124), Piekutowo (292), Stare Nowiny (150), Pruchnowo (117), Barglowka (648). In all 8,621 morgs were set apart as the entailed estate of Netta. In 1844 the entailed estates of Pruska and Tajno of Major General Zabolocki were supplemented with two lakes, Tajno (306 morgs), Drectwo [sic] (424), for a total of 730.
The rest of the estates covered 10,797 mrgs. It consisted of. the town of Augustow; the manorial farmsteads of Barglow (239 morgs) and Augustow (279); the settlements of Barglow Koscielny (275), Zalaskowy Kat (71), Kanala Sosnowo (8), the pastorate (105), and the leftover Karpa (741). The highway, river, and canal were 62 morgs. The villages were: Barglow Koscielny (1,179 morgs), Barglow Dworny (1,626), Brzozowka (1,421), Rudka Nowa (1,495), Rudka Stara (1,114), Jeziorki (1,652), Uscianki (461), Cerkasowizny (142), Chojnow (area not listed), and the area set aside for recruits, Rudka (108). The government-owned forest region of Rajgrod currently covers 27,214 morgs. M. R. Wit. [Michal Witanowski]
Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Winter 1998 Bulletin.
Reichau was a German colony near Lubaczów, 15 kilometers distant from Cieszanów, to the southeast. It was a German colony founded by the Austrian Emperor. There was an Evangelical Parish, a chapel and a school dating from 1856.
Translated from the Słownik Geograficzny by Helen Bienick of the PGS-CA
1) a settlement in the district of Zloto, a post office and a Catholic Church are in Wiecbork, 1.25 km away, a chapel in Wielowicz, 402 hares (25 meadows and 351 fields). Into the composition of the neighborhood enter: Rogalin (in 1885 there were 14 houses, 79 residents) and Rogalinerbusch (8 houses, 46 residents); the settlement itself had in 1868 46 buildings, 15 houses, 233 residents of which there were 89 Catholics and 114 non-Catholics; whereas in 1885 there were 20 houses and 125 residents, the whole neighborhood had 83 Catholics, 167 non-Catholics, and 6 Jews. Long ago there was a manorial farm here, at present it has been sold. The landless cottage occupants were left in part blessed with the soil, in part oppressed by it. One portion of the area was incorporated into today’s manorial farm of Rogalin, another was divided in 1826 into parcels, out of which came the colony of Rogalin (ob. Gesch. d. Kr. Flatow v. Schmitt, Page 268). Rogalin lies to the west of Wie~cbork, close to the border of ks. Poznanskiego and has a non-Catholic school (1 teacher, 69 students).
2) A private estate, in the same place, post office in Wielewicz, 3 km distance, 249 hares (33 meadows and 196 fields); a local brickyard burns drainages; a Dutch cattle farm, for the sale of milk and wool. In 1885 there were 7 houses, 14 dym., 98 residents, 22 Catholic and 76 non-Catholic.
Submitted by: Joseph F. Martin. Translated by Benigne Dohms. (Feb 1999)
1) A church village, in the district of Szrem, deaconate of Sredko, about 13 km west of Kurnik and Bnin, on the right edge of the Warta River, across from Sowinca and Mosina, borders with Rogalin; there are 72 houses, 468 residents (423 Catholic, 45 Protestant) and 507 hares (306 fields, 60 meadows, 66 wooded areas); income from the hares is 7.20 marks, from the meadows 11.04 marks, from the woods, 2.21 marks. The parish is here, the post office in Radzew Colony (Hohensee) and the train station is in Mosiny, about 4km away. Rogalinek was the property of the Poznan jurisdiction, taken by the Prussian government. Within the territory arose the village of Saskie Pole (Sachsenfelde) and the forest district of Waldecke. In 1850 Rogalinek there were four half-farms and 2 cottages. The parish, listed incorrectly in the tax collector’s registry as “Rogonieniec,” was composed of Rogalinek, Rogalin and Swiatnik; later Polesie and Saskie Pole were added in. The church of St. Michael already existed before 1510; the suffragan bishop of Poznan, Hieronim Wierzbowski had a new church built in place of the old one in 1712. There are 1283 parishioners.
2) Rogalinek: Folwark for Jankowic, in the parish of Ceradz Church, on the border of the Bukowski district and Szamotulski, the property of Rosalia Chlapowska, Count Eng estromÑ w (around 1793); does not exist today. (3) Rogalinek: Gniezno district, obsolete Rogalin in the Klecko neighborhood.
Submitted by: Joseph F. Martin. Translated by Benigne Dohms. (Jan 1999)
In German, Rollbick. A village in Cbojnice county whose post office is in Brusy, in the Catholic parish of Lesno (about 1 1/2 miles away), and whose school is at Widno. The river Zbrzyca (in German, Sbritze) flows thru the village. (The Zbrzyca is the left tributary of the Brda river.) In size Rolbik is 1163 hectares (65 in forest, 9 in meadow, 191 in farms.) In 1868 there were 29 buildings, 17 chimneys (i.e., dwelling units), 214 inhabitants of whom 208 were Catholic and 6 Lutheran. In 1885 there were 21 chimneys, 39 _____, 228 inhabitants of whom 218 were Catholic and 10 Lutheran.
In 1350 the Komtur of Tuchola, Konrad Vullekop granted to the honestus Ehestlein “an inn uff der Rorbeck (on the Rorbeck) by Culm (Chelm) law as well as a farm on the stream and 10 morgs of meadow for a home on the river Otocznik. We also give him a 3rd fenik (pfennig?) if it came to brawls among his guests. The rent should amount to 2 grzywnas.” (See excerpts of Fr. Kujot in Pelplin.) According to tariffs from 1648, where a double collection of taxes and a triple excise tax was applied, subjects in Rolbik paid, from 2 inns: 2 florins, 20 grzywnas. (See Roczn. T.P.N. in Poznan 1871, p. 186.) In the lustration of the Tuchola Starostaship from 1664 we read: “Rolbik Wilderness: Jan Rulbiecki (i.e., of Rolbik) gives 19 florins for the confirmation of the Krzyzk Right from Wladyslaw IV in 1635 by the smaller sea].” Rolbik was at that time accounted with the Kosobuda- or Zabory- key(1). In 1710 Rolbik belonged to the Brzeski parish and gave mesznego(2) of 1 bushel of rye. (Visitation of (bp) Szaniawski, p.67).
(1)A key (klucz, schl~ssel) is the total of several villages in the same vicinity belonging to the same lord.
(2) meszne is a tithe given in grain.
Submitted & translated by Gerald R. Schmidt, Pittsburgh, PA
Ropa, village, powiat of Gorlice, in a charming mountain valley, upon the Ropa river, 322 meters above sea level. Visitors must be absolutely sure to see Gorlice in their cross-country travels. The prosperous and populous settlement, its parish Roman-Catholic with a wooden church, of two four-sided turrets, a beautiful palace built for Count Siemienski the first of four in the current time, people’s school and oil refinery. There is also an interesting storehouse of oil of 11 hectares of the exploitation of two parties a fair view of the ruins of Szymbark castle to the northeast. The village together with the greater area (11 dwellings, 146 residents) the number of inhabitants 409 dwellings and 2399 residents; 2260 Roman-Catholics, 8 Greek-Catholics, 2 Evangelists and 129 Jews; 2250 Poles, 2 Englishmen, 9 Ruthenians and 138 Germans. The possessor of the greatest of 384 morg fields and cropland, 56 morg meadows, 89 morg pastures, 696 morg forest was Felix Skrochowski, The smaller land owners possessed the lesser area of 1489 morg fields and cropland, 391 morg meadows, 981 morg pastures, 130 morg of forest.
The foundation of the parish is not known; it was mentioned by the first Starowolski in 1655. Belonging to the diocese of Przemysl, decanate of Biecz and embracing (parishes in the decanate): Blechnarka, Hanczowa, Klimkowka, Kwiaton, Leszczyny, Losie, Ropki, Uscie Ruskie and Wysowa z Huta, in all 2581 Roman -Catholics. The village [of Ropa] belongs to the starostwa of Biecz. In 1581 it was held by Adam Brzezinski; numbering at that time (Pawifiski Malopolska, 113) 6 lan of farmland. [Note: Lan is another unit of measuring land].
The not so well off were the; 12 poor farmers, 4 poor cattle farmers, 4 craftsmen, and 1 sawyer. According to Kuropatnicki (Geografia Galicyi, 1786) the leather/hide factory, the spring of the crude oil and a different quarry, even gold. When the Austrian administration acquired in fact the subprefecture of Biecz, Count Siemiehski was taxed on his village palace and park. He took care of it in his name, but until the end. (Siarczyfiski, rps. Bibl. Ossol., nr.1826).In1847 M. Steczynski described the village and made plans for his vision in “Okolicach Galicyi” (Lwow, 1847, str. 59), restoring with special attention to the collection of portraits and artists’ paintings found in the palace. Ropa bordered on the north by Grodek, on the west by Kaclowa [now Kaclowa], on the east by Bielanka and on the south by Losie.
Submitted by: Rosemary Chorzempa, 7904 Jackman Rd., Temperance, MI 48182 (Nov 2000)
Also Rospetek, German Rospentek, an estate in Szubin county, 71/2 km. west of Kcynia (which is where the post office and railway station are located), on the road to Margonin and Golancz; Panigrodz parish, 10 houses, 146 residents (131 Catholic, 15 Protestant), covering 420 hectares (348 of fields and 18 of meadows). Around 1523 a bushel each of rye and oat was given as a Mass tithe to the priest in Panigro dz from the peasants’ land in Rozpetek, while a “sheaf” tithe was given the priest in Kcynia [Ed. Note-apparently a Mass tithe, meszne, was of money or grain, whereas a “sheafed tithe,” a snopowa dziesiecina, consisted of sheafed bundles of grain]. In 1577 there were 17 owned and cultivated fields and 5 crofts; in 1579 there were 20 fields owned and cultivated, 1 empty, 7 crofts, 2 of craftsman. The tax register for 1618 shows only 3 fields. In 1793 Rozpetek belonged to Jan Kalkstein, circa 1843 to Teodor Dembinski.
Submitted by: This translation, by William F. Hoffman, first appeared in the Summer 1996 issue of “Bulletin of the Polish Genealogical Society of America”. (Nov 1998)
Ryglice, a small town in Tarnow powiat. It is situated in a wide valley rimmed on the south by a range of wooded hills that extend from Golanki on the Biala river to Kolaczyce on the Wisloka. river, forming a side watershed for the tributaries of these rivers. South of Ryglice is the peak called Dobrotyn (517 meters). The valley is bordered on the east by hills that divide a stream flowing through Ryglice to the Biala from a stream by the village of Jodlowa, a tributary of the Wisloka. The hills are 330 meters high along the line marking the divide, and 317 meters high closer to the highway. The northern boundary consists of an area of land rising slowly towards Zaleszany with two hills, Wierzch (343 meters) and Bukowina (374 meters). To the east the valley opens onto a rather narrow gate through which the stream passes. The lowest section of the land, elevation 242 meters, is occupied by the town of Ryglice itself, which has a parish church, post office, public school, buildings of the major estate, distillery and water mill. Altogether, the town has 79 houses, mostly wooden with thatched roofs, and 747 inhabitants.
Ryglice was elevated to the rank of miasteczko [small town] in 1824. Most of its inhabitants are Jews employed in retail trade and handicrafts, while the Christian population consists of farmers and weavers. Belonging to the gmina are 9 groups of cottages comprising the following villages: Galia (77 houses, 426 inhabitants), Ryglice Dolne (28 houses, 182 inhabitants), Ryglice Gorne (47 houses, 326 inhabitants) and Wisze (48 houses, 260 inhabitants), as well as the following settlements: Podkosciele (13 houses, 73 inhabitants), Podkosciele Ksieze (16 houses, 106 inhabitants), Pozary (11 houses, 72 inhabitants) and Przymiarki (30 houses, 108 inhabitants).
The whole gmina, including the area of the major estate (9 houses, 116 inhabitants), has 395 houses and 2,703 inhabitants, of whom 2,324 are Roman Catholics, 7 Evangelical Protestants, 372 Jews and 14 people of other faiths. The major estate (owned by Stanislawa Szczepanska) consists of 541 morgs of farmland, 66 of meadows, 50 of pastures, and 679 of woods. The minor estates comprise 1,931 morgs of farmland, 165 of meadows and gardens, 474 of pastures, and 331 of woods.
The whole area is irrigated by several streams flowing down from the hills near Ryglice into a small river that joins the Biala on the right bank at Kielanowice Dolne. The area’s soil area is fertile. Its deciduous forests are in very good condition. The wooden church, which has been renovated and retains no extraordinary features, dates from the late 17th century, but the parish itself is much older. It probably dates back to the year 130 1, when Duke Wladyslaw of Opole granted the villages of Ryglice and Burzyn to Wawrzyniec Kielanowski and Mikolaj Burza. These two built a church there and made Rev. Stanislaw Pierzchala its pastor. The church was burned down by the Tartars in 1657. As early as 1613 there were two benefices at the church, that of the Holy Rosary and that of the Holy Trinity; both were disbanded in 1785. There was also a fund in Ryglice started in 1629 by King Zygmunt III that supported three students of the Academy of Krakow.
The parish belongs to the Diocese of Tarnow, deanery of Tuchow, and includes Joniny, Kowalowy, Uniszowa, Bistuszowa and Kielanowice. In 1581 (according to A. Pawinski, Malopolska, 112) Ryglice was comprised of Ryglice Niisze, belonging to Piotr Lyczko and Achacy Gladysz, and Ryglice Wyzsze, owned by Piotr Lyczko. Together they had 25 peasants half-lans, 12 homesteads with land, 20 homesteads without land, 3 tenant farmers, 6 peasants owning cattle, 11 peasants not owning cattle, and 6 craftsmen.
According to Siarczynski (Rps. bibl. Ossol. w r. 1826), Ryglice was owned by the Lyczkos, then by the Trzecidskis and Lesniewskis. Ryglice borders on Kielanowice Gorne, Bistuszowa and Uniszowa to the west; on Zalasowa to the north; and on Kowalowy and Joniny to the east. [Mac. – Vol. 10, p. 8 7].
Submitted by: Robert Bator, Chicago, IL. Translated by Anna Pawlik (2001)
A peasant-owned village in Przasnysz county, Zaremby gmina and parish. It has 29 houses, 188 inhabitants, 651 morgs of land that are in use and 796 that are not. In 1827 there were 15 houses and 83 inhabitants. It lies in a marshy area through which the rivers Orzyc and Omulew flow.
Translated by William F. Hoffman, PGSA Winter 2003 Rodziny.